mnm

Legal and Regal
  • Applicant

Do you 

On 9/24/2021 at 5:57 PM, mnm said:

Starting the trend

Undergrad applicant here. 178 LSAT GPA 3.2/4.3 Political Science
Student Club President

Off topic kind of, but do you know when they actually start reviewing applications? is it only after the November deadline? I'll be submitting all my documents next week but was wondering whether they'll even look at my file before November... 

Good luck! 🙂 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Legal and Regal said:

Do you 

Off topic kind of, but do you know when they actually start reviewing applications? is it only after the November deadline? I'll be submitting all my documents next week but was wondering whether they'll even look at my file before November... 

Good luck! 🙂 

They will not review any files prior to the submission deadline unlike some US universities. In the US, some law schools have rolling admissions but I don’t think any Canadian law schools are like that. Best of luck with the submission :)

• 4 weeks later...
ProudCrocodile
  • Law School Admit
On 9/25/2021 at 5:57 AM, mnm said:

178 LSAT GPA 3.2/4.3 Political Science

Off topic perhaps

I submitted all supporting docs, but do you know when will they process the LSAT score? It shows to be "not received", making my status as items outstanding.

mnm
  • Applicant

Hey guys. Let’s keep it on topic. All replies so far start with off topic. Make a new thread for your questions. 🙂

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

• 2 weeks later...
lawap12
  • Applicant

Ready for review! 
159 LSAT (with extenuating circumstances)

3.96 / 4.0 GPA

Very strong ECs: SU President, varsity athletics captain  

LORs very strong - one McGill law ‘15 alum who is a prof of mine.

bilingual (French / English)

Edited by lawap12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

tiktok
  • Law Student
On 10/22/2021 at 11:52 AM, ProudCrocodile said:

Off topic perhaps

I submitted all supporting docs, but do you know when will they process the LSAT score? It shows to be "not received", making my status as items outstanding.

It took approximately three weeks for my LSAT score to show up in Minerva. No need to worry as the adcomm won't start reviewing applications until after the application deadline. 

• Like 1

fairyinlaw
  • Applicant

Ready for review!🙃

- undergrad applicant (B.A&Sc): CGPA 3.92/4.0 

- NO LSAT 

- ECs/CV (not amazing but consistent and authentic): human rights internship, exec position, some club involvement related to my field of interest, previously an athlete at national level, and some creative hobbies & interests (music & small-scale entrepreneurship)

- Personal statement: in my biased opinion one of the strongest aspects of my application

- LORs: very good I think, from 2 profs I had in social justice related classes

good luck to everyone!!!

• Like 3

tallandblonde
  • Applicant

Ready for review!!

Undergraduate Applicant (Bachelor of Social Work): CGPA 3.96/4.0

-No LSAT

-CV is very strong: Internship at Youth Protection, work as a research assistant + certifications , sports captain, a lot of volunteer work.. etc.

-LOR; 2 professors - strong I think

-Bilingual (f/e)

Good luck everyone 🙂 

• Like 2

GreyDude
  • Law Student

I'm finding this interesting as a way to introduce ourselves to other McGill applicants, and perhaps to start building a community. Since we will all be "ready for review" until we get our replies from McGill over the coming weeks and months, this thread could prove interesting and maybe helpful. At the very least, I'm happy to meet you all!

• Mature student (a teacher for over 20 years)
    • various leadership roles in the labour movement
    • some international development experience 
    • lots of volunteer work of various types both during and since university
  • No LSAT
  • undergrad GPA somewhere around 3.39 (B+) 
    • letter of extenuating circumstances (learning disability diagnosed 20 years after undergrad)
  • Master's degree — political philosophy
  • Courses taken at 4 other universities (total of 6) including an unfinished Ph.D.
  • Fully bilingual french/english

McGill is the only school I have applied to.  

On 10/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, mnm said:

Hey guys. Let’s keep it on topic. All replies so far start with off topic. Make a new thread for your questions. 🙂

Just for the record, and recognizing that this seems to contradict the OP's intentions, let's allow this to meander. We don't need a stats-only thread. Questions and discussion should be welcomed. The "accepted" thread will be stats-only, likely. 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 6

IronLady
  • Applicant

Hello Everyone ! Glad to join the forum.  I am also RFR, but looking forward to getting some good news hopefully soon!

• Mature applicant.
  • Bachelor in Labour Relations.
  • GPA 3.5/4.0 (not the strongest but I hope my explanation in the LOR and my experience make my profile interesting to the committee).
  • NO LSAT. 
  • CV: 10+ years of experience in management and leadership roles. Community implication.  Recently completed a certificate in law foundations and graduated with honors.
  • Personal statement:  I believe is interesting all-round, I dedicated 3 months to it (including feedback from peers, executives and family). 
  • LORs: one professional (Provincial Police) & one academic (lawyer and teacher). 
  • Polyglot(French/English/Spanish)

Good luck to everyone! I look forward to seeing more people sharing their comments.

• Like 4

WiseGhost
  • Law Student

Hey y'all, awesome to see the diversity among applicants. 

• university applicant with an honours degree in political science and a GPA of ~ 3.6, hoping to boost it to 3.7 by the end of this term 🙂
  • 169 LSAT
  • What I believe to be a 🔥 PS (worked extremely hard on it)
  • meh CV
  • LORs: One from a department head and another from a professor who I am working with on coauthoring a journal article for publication. Both should hopefully be strong!
  • letter of extenuating circumstances
  • mother tongue English, professional competency in French

I have an interesting background but weak ECs and lower grades linked to mental health problems that are now resolved. I'm hoping that adcoms take that into account!

• Like 4

Renerik
  • Law Student

Guess I'll join @GreyDude's train.

• University applicant (not quite mature)
    • First class BSc. Hons.
    • GPA 3.5-3.7, depends how they calculate it.
    • 169 (twice) LSAT.
  • Good CV for someone my age.
    • Half a decade as an Officer in the CF.
    • Half a decade weekly volunteer commitment working with the homeless community.
    • Compete in local powerlifting competitions.
  • PS decent
    • Spoke about low SES background.
  • LOR decent
    • Honours project supervisor and another professor I had 3 classes with.
  • French-English Bilingual.
  • Only member of extended family to do schooling after high-school.
  • Like 4

ProudCrocodile
  • Law School Admit

Happy to be on this train!

• International student BA in French Literature, GPA 3.7-3.8, LSAT average at 168 after two takes.
  • CV and PS decent I guess, focusing on experience working in culture & publishing while distressed by censorship
  • Average LORs from a professor with whom I had courses for two years, another prof under whose supervision I was a research assistant.
  • Eng/French both at C1+ level, but neither is my mother language.

I don't have a lot of interesting ECs, only some volunteer experiences at local museums and teaching primary school kids English.

• Like 4

Saul_Goodman
  • Law School Admit

Hello, James M McGill here, a hopeful lawyer to be that you can trust!

• Mature applicant, so they say
  • B.A. in Political Science (3.75 / 4.0) / Graduate Diploma in Journalism (3.5 / 4.0)
  • No LSAT
  • CV: 5 years of work in my field at top notch firms and volunteer work
  • LORs: Both pretty good I think
  • Personal statement: 🧨
  • Mother tongue English - working professional proficiency in French
  • A sincere desire to use my powers for good
  • Like 4

GreyDude
  • Law Student
39 minutes ago, Saul_Goodman said:

Hello, James M McGill here, a hopeful lawyer to be that you can trust!

S'all good, Man!

The more I see these profiles, the more I realize what a genuine privilege it is to gain admission to McGill. You folk are all really impressive. 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 2

LemonBee
  • Applicant

I very much agree with@GreyDude. It would be a real privilege to be in a class with such impressive people 😍.

• International applicant (for now--might change if immigration gods have mercy on me)
  • University applicant (currently finishing PhD prog)
  • Undergrad in philosophy (and two other majors) 3.74/4.0, dep. honors, from US school; MA in comparative lit
  • No LSAT
  • 10 years teaching experience (various levels)
  • Academic research experience, conference papers, some publications, translations
  • Various volunteer positions in graduate student organizations, university committees, and board member of national literary association
  • FRQSC, Tomlinson, and others
  • LORs: good, I hope
  • English, Arabic, and solid French (comprehension)
  • Extracurriculars: what's that?
  • PS: either fantastic or trash (not sure)

Good luck to all!

• Like 4

Totally_Bucked
  • Law School Admit

Checking in as RFR, it's good to be here.

Mature student

Undergrad cGPA of 3.05

173 LSAT

10 years of CAF experience, some overseas deployments, some domestic deployments, a lot of work with civilian/government groups

A decent amount of volunteering

One article published in a university journal

A post graduation mental health issue to explain some of the, shall we say, academic inconsistencies

Strong LORs (I think?)

Spent so much time writing and rewriting my PS that I genuinely have no idea if it's even coherent

Applied last year, no dice, but I can't say I'm surprised given a number of factors including number of applicants and some issues with my application

• Like 4

GreyDude
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, Totally_Bucked said:

Spent so much time writing and rewriting my PS that I genuinely have no idea if it's even coherent

I hear you! Mine went through so many major revisions that I lost track, and the first version, produced in 2019, was totally different from the final one, finished in October this year. Better? Worse? Who can say? I think that a major key to the Personal Statement is to finish it. 🙂 

Also: 173 LSAT! Nice! 

Edited by GreyDude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IronLady
  • Applicant
On 11/20/2021 at 5:19 PM, LemonBee said:

How often do you check Minerva? 😆 

LOL ! ... Well, considering that it is the applicant's responsibility to check Minerva in the event further documentation or actions are required, I check it quite often.... 😅

LemonBee
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, IronLady said:

LOL ! ... Well, considering that it is the applicant's responsibility to check Minerva in the event further documentation or actions are required, I check it quite often.... 😅

Exactly! It's merely the responsible thing to do 🙂 

• Nom! 1

• 2 weeks later...
MollyDucker
  • Law School Admit

Bit late to the party, but here I am.

• University applicant, BA HON with high distinction
  • CGPA of 3.32-ish, depending on how they calculate it (extenuating circumstances)
  • 166 and 171 on LSATs
  • Undergraduate research thesis
  • Loads of volunteer work and extracurriculars
  • Currently working in international development
  • Pretty strong LORs (I think? One of my profs submitted it at the last possible minute so I have lost a bit of faith in him)
  • English and French fluency, basic comprehension of Spanish and Bahasa Indonesian, if those count for anything

Good luck everyone! my fingers are crossed on your behalf!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

GreyDude
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, MollyDucker said:

Bit late to the party, but here I am.

Nice to meet you! You're right on time. 🙂 

17 hours ago, MollyDucker said:

Pretty strong LORs (I think? One of my profs submitted it at the last possible minute so I have lost a bit of faith in him)

Your prof might have just been busy. I was allowed to see one of my LORs, which was also submitted very last-minute. It was better than I could ever have hoped for. I sort of hope it's the only thing in my dossier that they use to make their decision. 😉

Good luck! 

• 1 month later...
HopefulUndergrad
  • Applicant

Undergraduate applicant here, as well.

-Honours BA in International Relations, 3.86/4.0 GPA

-No LSAT 

-1 publication in a policy journal 

-Have written an undergraduate research thesis 

-Work experience: researching international and domestic law for 2 different research cohorts at my school, also work as a projects assistant for a research program

-ECs: extensive (volunteer in research, prison reform, immigration, employment rights, and mental health)

-LORs pretty strong (1 McGill Law alum who is a law professor now, 1 French prof)

-Multilingual (French & English of course) and 2 other languages 

-Not sure if my personal statement was amazing!! But I tried

good luck everyone 🙂 

• Like 3