Western vs Queens

Jk1997

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

Queen's is definitely better if you are interested in anything outside of corporate and intellectual property law. Western offers very little outside of these areas of law. 

Edited by Darth Vader
If you are interested in corporate, then the Big law placement rates are similar between the schools.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefullawstudent99
On 9/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, Jk1997 said:

In your opinion which one is better? Can't seem to find much on the topic 

I'm a current Western student and I love it. The small group in 1L is so incredible, the profs are truly caring. I understand that it is known for being a business law school, but they certainly don't push that on you and all the profs want you to explore all areas of interest. Moreover, there are so many clubs and moots that focus on other areas of law. I would more than recommend its an excellent school and I've only had a great experience so far.

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

If I had to choose between the two, Queens. It's more diverse and it'll give you more opportunities outside of business law. However, if you're dead set on corporate law, I don't think it matters 

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

You should consider which city is better for you. I picked London because it was closer to home/family/friends, there were better rent opportunities (cost, closer to campus, better value for my dollar), and the weather is better. My second choice was Ottawa, and I just can’t stand the winter.

I think a lot of applicants get tunnel vision on the school, and the merits of their academic options, but it’s important to remember that you’ll spend three years there. Consider where you’d rather live, based on whatever factors are important to you.

• Like 2

Kobe
  • Law Student

I feel like Queens vs Western comes down to wherever you are more comfortable. It seems they have near identical bay street numbers, if that's what you want. Otherwise Queen's seems more well rounded vs Western business law focus. 

• Like 1

LMP
  • Law Student

As others have said, the career outcomes are near identical. Go check out the cities and the two campuses see which you prefer. 

Anecdotally I find that Kingston is the nicer city but London is far more affordable. 

• Lawyer

Queen's is better for labour and employment, criminal, family, and government. Western and Queen's are on even playing fields for corporate. Western seems to do better for IP law due to their Intellectual Property, Information and Technology Concentration, with many Western engineering + JD combined degree students landing jobs in this field.

Many students from both Western and Queen's that don't land corporate jobs during the 1L and 2L recruits will go into personal injury and insurance defence, as they are the bulk of the jobs available in the Toronto Articling Recruitment.

There are differences in career outcomes between both schools depending on the field you want to go into. As most people going into law school do not know what they want to practice, or change their minds along the way, it makes little difference to most. But if you have a good idea of what you want to get into, and it is not corporate, intellectual property, or civil litigation, then I would probably be going to Queen's over Western. 

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
On 10/13/2021 at 5:53 PM, Electricity said:

Queen's hasn't had any residence-wide rohypnol incidents in recent memory, so that's nice. 

Very unfair attack on Western. Every school has incidences like these unfortunately. This case was worse because someone drugged an entire container instead of individual drinks. To paint an entire school (which had a huge response from students afterward btw) with the same brush because of a few bad apples, that exist everywhere, is very unfair.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

All universities have bad apples that perpetuate rape culture. Not all universities have problems with rape culture to the extent Western does, however. 

If Western doesn't want to be painted with that brush, it should change its culture. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

artsydork
  • Lawyer

Queen's misogyny

Kingston parties

Oh, remember the whole infect me daddy Covid party? (Aka, all schools have troubling issues with misogyny and shit)

Also, arguing that Queens is more diverse than Western isn't really any sort of crowning achievement... like, low threshold there. 

In all seriousness, I practice near a fair chunk of Queens grads and used to work in SW Ontario alongside a bunch of Western/Windsor grads. All 3 of the schools teach criminal/family law/employment law well. Graduating from any of them does not give you a leg up in any of those practice areas. 

Edited by artsydork

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
4 minutes ago, artsydork said:

Queen's misogyny

Kingston parties

Oh, remember the whole infect me daddy Covid party? (Aka, all schools have troubling issues with misogyny and shit)

Also, arguing that Queens is more diverse than Western isn't really any sort of crowning achievement... like, low threshold there. 

In all seriousness, I practice near a fair chunk of Queens grads and used to work in SW Ontario alongside a bunch of Western/Windsor grads. All 3 of the schools teach criminal/family law/employment law well. Graduating from any of them does not give you a leg up in any of those practice areas. 

As a current Queen's student (who went here for undergrad awhile ago), the majority of these "misogynistic"  signs were hung by women. And "infect me daddy" Covid party... really... who cares. 

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Not all universities have problems with rape culture to the extent Western does, however.

Do you have proof that this is the case? Besides 1 news story where a few out of 20 000 students drugged people.

artsydork
  • Lawyer
11 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

As a current Queen's student (who went here for undergrad awhile ago), the majority of these "misogynistic"  signs were hung by women. And "infect me daddy" Covid party... really... who cares. 

Source? And, well, if true, women can be misogynistic too. In any event, my comment was in response to Electricity - Queens (and most unis) have issues with rape culture (stopping before you claim such thing doesn't exist. Zero interest in discussion with you on the issue). Sole reason of including those. 

The only real answer is what Toby said. Queens v Western is a tale as old of time. Move to Kingston or move to London - either way, they're likely gunning for Toronto. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, VitalGiraffe said:

Do you have proof that this is the case? Besides 1 news story where a few out of 20 000 students drugged people.

As exhibit A, I would present the post from the Western undergrad that describes dozens of people being allegedly drugged in a single incident as “a few out of 20 000”. 

But I forgot you’re the “citation needed” dude, so I’m going to tap out of explaining just how problematic your rape-y school culture is before we end up in another boring argument. 

epeeist
  • Lawyer
31 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Great thread, guys.

One thing I'm unclear about, did the claimed drugging and sexual assault take place as described on social media, or did it not? From the story it sounds like the posts were by people claiming it happened, but not that it happened to them... And assuming it happened as described, but despite 600 interviews over 2 weeks and all the media attention no-one is willing to make a formal complaint, what are the police or Western or anyone else supposed to do?

35 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

Great thread, guys.

Fun fact, and this is true: Macleans 2022 law school rankings actually replace "faculty hiring" with "prevalence of daddy-related signage" as a criterion. So this thread is really at the cutting-edge of measuring schools' academic quality. 

• Like 4

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
8 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

As exhibit A, I would present the post from the Western undergrad that describes dozens of people being allegedly drugged in a single incident as “a few out of 20 000”. 

The 'few' I was referring to were the perpetrators, not the victims.

8 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

But I forgot you’re the “citation needed” dude, so I’m going to tap out of explaining just how problematic your rape-y school culture is before we end up in another boring argument. 

Funny that it was you both times. I guess you have a habit of making baseless claims.

• Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Jesus dude it's just a dumb school, I went to Western and I don't feel compelled to defend it in the slightest. What's with the weird ass tribalism?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, realpseudonym said:

Fun fact, and this is true: Macleans 2022 law school rankings actually replace "faculty hiring" with "prevalence of daddy-related signage" as a criterion. So this thread is really at the cutting-edge of measuring schools' academic quality. 

I heard Ryerson is in the process of renaming to Daddy Lincoln School of Law.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1