Western vs Queens

Jk1997

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer

Queen's is definitely better if you are interested in anything outside of corporate and intellectual property law. Western offers very little outside of these areas of law. 

Edited by Darth Vader
If you are interested in corporate, then the Big law placement rates are similar between the schools.

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefullawstudent99
On 9/30/2021 at 12:34 PM, Jk1997 said:

In your opinion which one is better? Can't seem to find much on the topic 

I'm a current Western student and I love it. The small group in 1L is so incredible, the profs are truly caring. I understand that it is known for being a business law school, but they certainly don't push that on you and all the profs want you to explore all areas of interest. Moreover, there are so many clubs and moots that focus on other areas of law. I would more than recommend its an excellent school and I've only had a great experience so far.

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

If I had to choose between the two, Queens. It's more diverse and it'll give you more opportunities outside of business law. However, if you're dead set on corporate law, I don't think it matters 

TobyFlenderson
  • Law Student

You should consider which city is better for you. I picked London because it was closer to home/family/friends, there were better rent opportunities (cost, closer to campus, better value for my dollar), and the weather is better. My second choice was Ottawa, and I just can’t stand the winter.

I think a lot of applicants get tunnel vision on the school, and the merits of their academic options, but it’s important to remember that you’ll spend three years there. Consider where you’d rather live, based on whatever factors are important to you.

• Like 1

Kobe
  • Applicant

I feel like Queens vs Western comes down to wherever you are more comfortable. It seems they have near identical bay street numbers, if that's what you want. Otherwise Queen's seems more well rounded vs Western business law focus. 

• Like 1

As others have said, the career outcomes are near identical. Go check out the cities and the two campuses see which you prefer. 

Anecdotally I find that Kingston is the nicer city but London is far more affordable. 

• Lawyer

Queen's is better for labour and employment, criminal, family, and government. Western and Queen's are on even playing fields for corporate. Western seems to do better for IP law due to their Intellectual Property, Information and Technology Concentration, with many Western engineering + JD combined degree students landing jobs in this field.

Many students from both Western and Queen's that don't land corporate jobs during the 1L and 2L recruits will go into personal injury and insurance defence, as they are the bulk of the jobs available in the Toronto Articling Recruitment.

There are differences in career outcomes between both schools depending on the field you want to go into. As most people going into law school do not know what they want to practice, or change their minds along the way, it makes little difference to most. But if you have a good idea of what you want to get into, and it is not corporate, intellectual property, or civil litigation, then I would probably be going to Queen's over Western. 

• Like 1