Getting so bored on the lsat?

LawstudentinCanada

LawstudentinCanada

I have no idea what the reason is, but LG gets my endorphins going and LR and RC makes me want to sleep.

I get so bored and distracted im starting to think theres something wrong with me. Timing isn't an issue because im pretty good at maintaining speed. But the problem is that, its just so boring its hard to stay focused. Did you have this problem and if so what did you do to fix it? 

I mean, doing your 800th LR question can be pretty boring.

It's only an issue if it's preventing you from preparing properly. When taking the actual test you likely won't struggle with staying focused. 

How are you practicing for the LSAT? Do you only get distracted when you spend hours at a time working on the LSAT or does it occur almost immediately? 

LawstudentinCanada
9 minutes ago, Toad said:

I mean, doing your 800th LR question can be pretty boring.

It's only an issue if it's preventing you from preparing properly. When taking the actual test you likely won't struggle with staying focused. 

How are you practicing for the LSAT? Do you only get distracted when you spend hours at a time working on the LSAT or does it occur almost immediately? 

I do timed sections which im good at. But I did a five section test today and omg I dont know how to explain the level of boredom I felt. Id literally rather be doing anything but RC at the very end. 

ClarkGriswold
  • Applicant
7 minutes ago, LawstudentinCanada said:

I do timed sections which im good at. But I did a five section test today and omg I dont know how to explain the level of boredom I felt. Id literally rather be doing anything but RC at the very end. 

I’d suggest slowly building up your endurance by adding questions each time you do a practice test. When I started doing practice tests, I found myself doing pretty well on individual sections but when I tried doing an entire test I either ran out of time or got bored. 

To fix that I added a half section every time I wrote a practice test (I was at a pace of 3 tests per week). I scheduled it the following way:

Week 1: Test 1 (1 section), Test 2 (1.5 sections), Test 3 (2 sections)

Week 2: Test 4 (2.5 sections), Test 5 (3 sections), Test 6 (3.5 sections)

Week 3: Test 7 and onwards (4 sections)

The .5 sections were just roughly divided on tests where the section being divided had an odd number of questions. It helped my endurance big time and by the end of Week 3 of the plan I wasn’t nearly as pressed on time/bored. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LawstudentinCanada
Just now, ClarkGriswold said:

I’d suggest slowly building up your endurance by adding questions each time you do a practice test. When I started doing practice tests, I found myself doing pretty well on individual sections but when I tried doing an entire test I either ran out of time or got bored. 

To fix that I added a half section every time I wrote a practice test (I was at a pace of 3 tests per week). I scheduled it the following way:

Week 1: Test 1 (1 section), Test 2 (1.5 sections), Test 3 (2 sections)

Week 2: Test 4 (2.5 sections), Test 5 (3 sections), Test 6 (3.5 sections)

Week 3: Test 7 and onwards (4 sections)

The .5 sections were just roughly divided on tests where the section being divided had an odd number of questions. It helped my endurance big time and by the end of Week 3 of the plan I wasn’t nearly as pressed on time/bored. 

You are a champ. Thank you so much. I will be incorporating this.

• Like 1

GGrievous
  • Law Student
On 10/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, LawstudentinCanada said:

LR and RC makes me want to sleep.

I get so bored and distracted

This is why I feel like people that say the LSAT has no relevance to law school are wrong.  

Currently fighting the urge to stimulate my endorphins to read about insurance. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, Barry said:

This is why I feel like people that say the LSAT has no relevance to law school are wrong.  

Currently fighting the urge to stimulate my endorphins to read about insurance. 

Funny; not relevant in this respect where my brand of ADHD is concerned. I effortlessly got a 99th percentile LSAT score and had no issues whatsoever sustaining my focus and attention throughout it, but then fighting my way through readings has been absolutely painful at many times through law school and legal research in practice.

I attribute this to LSAT being a bunch of little questions that you spend less than a minute on before moving on to something else. If anything that aligned with my brain that likes to click through dozens of random wikipedia, TV Tropes or reddit pages until I suddenly realize I've lost the last three hours of my life. Whereas law school and legal research requires you to focus on the same thing for extended periods of time and that's brutal.

Edited by CleanHands

GGrievous
  • Law Student

Fair point. Different perspective based on aptitude I suppose. There were times I was definitely spending brutal amounts of time on the same question set.

Getting too off topic here but the only way I’m getting through the material is by briefing everything as I go… searching around and bouncing back and forth for the facts and laws instead of reading in order. Which is kind of how I think I remember tackling RC especially once I picked up on exactly what they were going to ask. 

• Like 1