GPA Calculation (Winter 2020)

Jk1997

If Alberta ignores winter 2020 grades in GPA calculation, does that mean in order to assess last 2 years they look at  one additional semester back? Or do they just use 3 of your last 4 semesters to asses GPA? 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
39 minutes ago, Jk1997 said:

If Alberta ignores winter 2020 grades in GPA calculation, does that mean in order to assess last 2 years they look at  one additional semester back? Or do they just use 3 of your last 4 semesters to asses GPA? 

Alberta ignores the grades issued in the winter semester of 2020, but the courses taken during that semester would still be counted for the L60 gpa calculations as long as it is a passing grade (credit received or equivalent).

U of A does not calculate their gpa strictly based on the last 2 years, but rather the last 60 credits; that means that if you have taken around 45 credits worth of courses between Fall semester of 2021 the Summer semester of 2020, and your winter 2020 semester has 15 credits worth of courses that you have received passing grades on, then they will base the gpa calculations off of that 45 credits worth of courses.

In a different scenario, if you have less than 45 credits worth of courses between Fall semester of 2021 and Summer semester of 2020 (lets say 30 credits for the sake of the example) and your winter 2020 semester has 15 credits worth of courses that you have received passing grades on, then they will go further back into the Fall 2019 semester to seek out the remaining 15 credits to fulfill the last 60 credit requirements.

Feel free to ask for further clarification if you need it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

Alberta ignores the grades issued in the winter semester of 2020, but the courses taken during that semester would still be counted for the L60 gpa calculations as long as it is a passing grade (credit received or equivalent).

U of A does not calculate their gpa strictly based on the last 2 years, but rather the last 60 credits; that means that if you have taken around 45 credits worth of courses between Fall semester of 2021 the Summer semester of 2020, and your winter 2020 semester has 15 credits worth of courses that you have received passing grades on, then they will base the gpa calculations off of that 45 credits worth of courses.

In a different scenario, if you have less than 45 credits worth of courses between Fall semester of 2021 and Summer semester of 2020 (lets say 30 credits for the sake of the example) and your winter 2020 semester has 15 credits worth of courses that you have received passing grades on, then they will go further back into the Fall 2019 semester to seek out the remaining 15 credits to fulfill the last 60 credit requirements.

Feel free to ask for further clarification if you need it.

Last 60 credits is last 20 courses correct?  So my last 60 credits take course over 5 semesters, which includes the winter 2020 semester. So will they just use my gpa for 4 of those semesters?

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, Jk1997 said:

Last 60 credits is last 20 courses correct?  So my last 60 credits take course over 5 semesters, which includes the winter 2020 semester. So will they just use my gpa for 4 of those semesters?

For many courses it usually consist of 3 credits, so yes if all of the courses you have taken consist of 3 - credit courses, then they will look at your last 20 courses.

However, there are courses that are worth 4 credits, and having a few of those in your recent semesters may make it so that U of A may look at less than 20 courses.

To answer your example, yes they will use only four of the 5 semesters.

• 5 months later...
iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit

wondering if we can, at some point, email the law admissions office to see what they calculated our L20 GPA to be to confirm? 

Also I am wondering if we are in our last semester now, and took a spring course in between winter 2020 and fall 2021, and took full courseloads since winter 2020, would the spring course count (and then the "CR" grades from winter 2020 would be the last ones included)

Edited by iwannagetaccepted1234

Lawyerup36
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, iwannagetaccepted1234 said:

wondering if we can, at some point, email the law admissions office to see what they calculated our L20 GPA to be to confirm? 

Also I am wondering if we are in our last semester now, and took a spring course in between winter 2020 and fall 2021, and took full courseloads since winter 2020, would the spring course count (and then the "CR" grades from winter 2020 would be the last ones included)

To my understanding U of A and U of C are not counting grades that have a pass/fail in the calculation. Therefore if you have these then they are skipped over and counted backwards to get to 60 credits. As such, students with these on there transcripts might have courses in the calculation from first and/or second year. (Which could be favourably or detrimental depending on the person). 

Edited by Lawyerup36
Fact

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit
44 minutes ago, Lawyerup36 said:

To my understanding U of A and U of C are not counting grades that have a pass/fail in the calculation. Therefore if you have these then they are skipped over and counted backwards to get to 60 credits. As such, students with these on there transcripts might have courses in the calculation from first and/or second year. (Which could be favourably or detrimental depending on the person). 

ok thats so confusing because above other people think they are included, hmmmm

• Like 1

Lawyerup36
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, iwannagetaccepted1234 said:

ok thats so confusing because above other people think they are included, hmmmm

They are not included as there is no grade to include…..I had spoken with student services about this. They are not included. They are skipped over. 

iwannagetaccepted1234
  • Law School Admit
4 minutes ago, Lawyerup36 said:

They are not included as there is no grade to include…..I had spoken with student services about this. They are not included. They are skipped over. 

Ok thanks.

Ital
  • Law School Admit
31 minutes ago, iwannagetaccepted1234 said:

Ok thanks.

35 minutes ago, Lawyerup36 said:

I hate to drag this one on, but I did email the Faculty of Law regarding my L2 GPA calculation back in November. Although they would not do a one-off GPA calculation for me, Laura, one of the Admissions advisors, did confirm that any courses that are CR/NCR or P/F in the Winter 2020 semester will be used towards the overall 60 credit count. I doubt this has changed since November. This means the CR/NCR or P/F would not hold a numerical value in terms of a grade but would still attribute to how many courses are used in your L2 GPA calculation.

• Like 4

Lawyerup36
  • Applicant
24 minutes ago, Ital said:

I hate to drag this one on, but I did email the Faculty of Law regarding my L2 GPA calculation back in November. Although they would not do a one-off GPA calculation for me, Laura, one of the Admissions advisors, did confirm that any courses that are CR/NCR or P/F in the Winter 2020 semester will be used towards the overall 60 credit count. I doubt this has changed since November. This means the CR/NCR or P/F would not hold a numerical value in terms of a grade but would still attribute to how many courses are used in your L2 GPA calculation.

Makes sense as well, I wouldn’t be surprised with miscommunication or misinterpretation of such things. Thanks for clarifying, I know the U Of C website actually has the answer right on it which makes it less confusing. 

Ital
  • Law School Admit
6 minutes ago, Lawyerup36 said:

Makes sense as well, I wouldn’t be surprised with miscommunication or misinterpretation of such things. Thanks for clarifying, I know the U Of C website actually has the answer right on it which makes it less confusing. 

Not a problem at all!

It's a bit buried, but on the UAlberta Law Admissions Process webpage, they do have a hyperlink to the following: https://www.ualberta.ca/registrar/examinations/assessment-and-grading/grading-system-explained.html

This is where they explicitly state the grading system for Winter 2020 grades.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
lawapplicanthopeful
  • Law School Admit

One other thing that I can't find here (forgive me if someone already mentioned) is that if you are short a few credits and they have to go further back to get to 60, they count everything in that semester. So say if you have 57 credits up to a certain point and they have to look at a semester before, and in that semester you have 15 credits, they'll calculate all of them, resulting in an average GPA of 72 credits instead of 60. 

Lawyerup36
  • Applicant
14 minutes ago, lawapplicanthopeful said:

One other thing that I can't find here (forgive me if someone already mentioned) is that if you are short a few credits and they have to go further back to get to 60, they count everything in that semester. So say if you have 57 credits up to a certain point and they have to look at a semester before, and in that semester you have 15 credits, they'll calculate all of them, resulting in an average GPA of 72 credits instead of 60. 

This is how I understand it as well. 

SK1373
  • Applicant
55 minutes ago, lawapplicanthopeful said:

Yes that's correct! the 60 credits is just a minimum but they will not divide up a term to take only one course.