Practice Management, eDiscovery, Accounting Software

BCLaw2021

BCLaw2021
  • Lawyer

I thought I'd start this forum to generate a discussion regarding the different types of software practitioners are using and their feedback/reviews.

The pet peeve I have with cloud based software is the lag time whenever you try to retrieve a file - not sure if any of you have the same experience. 

• Like 1

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

My favourites are:

Closing Folders - I won't close a transaction without it. Have tried a few competitors and haven't found anything as good. I prefer to use it as a closing agenda and only upload fully executed documents to create a record book, I've never been into uploading drafts because that feels like duplication to me.

iManage - it's not that I love iManage/DeskSite, but I would find it really hard to cope without the email filing function (you drag your emails to a folder in Outlook and they're automatically saved forever in iManage). My biggest pet peeve is that if someone creates a subfolder, nobody else can rename it.

Contract Express - takes FOREVER to get going, but once you have it up and running, it's amazing. You have to spend many hours inputting your precedents into the program, but then it can generate docs with a lot of specificity very quickly. If I had more time to upload additional precedents, I would use it more. 

Contract Companion - this is a plugin or addon or whatever in Word, it appears in a ribbon. You click a button and it highlights issues with your documents (especially relating to definitions, ie. used but not defined, inconsistent use, etc.). Love it. 

WorkShareCompare - obviously, for blacklines. Would really struggle to go back to track changes if I lost my blacklining software.

• Like 1

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

We use a Synology NAS server to keep all our files. The download time to retrieve files online is pretty minimal, so no complaints there. When we are in the office, it's all through file explorer because the server is local, so it's faaast!

For accounting/docketing we just switched from PC Law to CosmoLex. It was a wonky transition but overall I think it's a better system. A lot more automation and features to help us stay on top of billing and client management. The templates and auto-generate forms are helpful, and they have client portals that sync with LawPay, which can be used for clients to pay their bills directly from the invoice, the client portal, or any device. Prior to that, we had a POS machine that clients would either have to show up (or call in their CC info). So it's made administrative tasks much easier.

Edited by Vizslaw
grammar
  • Like 1