Toronto ITC emails

lawyer2023

hundopee
  • Law Student
30 minutes ago, poutine809 said:

Does anybody know when BLG and Gowlings have typically sent out their ITCs in previous years? Was it closer to OCIs or call day?

Gowling has sent some ITCs for Windsor who had their OCIs last week so I guess somewhat close to OCIs

10 minutes ago, hundopee said:

Gowling has sent some ITCs for Windsor who had their OCIs last week so I guess somewhat close to OCIs

Ouuu yikes I was waiting to hear from them. I'm guessing that isn't such great news haha 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
22 minutes ago, lawstudent97 said:

how are people dealing with this waiting period? I'M ANXIOUS AF

It’s way worse than waiting to find out which OCIs to get. This sucks. 

• Sad 1

Dolcissimo512
  • Law Student

Same. This is how I’m dealing with it: keep looking for other jobs…ugh. 

1 hour ago, lawstudent97 said:

• Sad 1

NotasStressed
  • NCA Candidate
3 hours ago, Dolcissimo512 said:

Same. This is how I’m dealing with it: keep looking for other jobs…ugh. 

where though?

• Like 1

nayaab05
  • Lawyer
10 hours ago, sleeping said:

Anyone know if a firm sends out all ITCs to students at the same school at once? 

Most firms send out all ITCs to students at the same school at once. Certain firms will send out more than one batch if students at that school turn down in-firms with the firm. Doesn't happen too often though and I have only heard of UofT and Osgoode as the two law schools where this happens just given the number of firms that do OCIs there. 

5 hours ago, lawstudent97 said:

This is an emotionally exhausting process. Try finding a hobby or something to keep your mind off things. All the best!

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

This might not be the best place to post this, but does anyone know how many students get called back for in firms from each school at the Bay St firms? At my school, the big firms conduct 2 days of OCIs (not sure how many students). 

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
47 minutes ago, MapleLeafs said:

This might not be the best place to post this, but does anyone know how many students get called back for in firms from each school at the Bay St firms? At my school, the big firms conduct 2 days of OCIs (not sure how many students). 

Not sure if they do it by school at the in-firm stage, but the general rule of thumb I've heard from recruiters is they invite 4-5x the number of candidates that they're ultimately aiming to hire

• Like 1

strugglebubble
  • Law Student
5 minutes ago, Pecan Boy said:

Not sure if they do it by school at the in-firm stage, but the general rule of thumb I've heard from recruiters is they invite 4-5x the number of candidates that they're ultimately aiming to hire

In addition to this I've also heard firms send out more ITCs than they'll actually take during interview week just becuz they're aware students will get more offers than they can take and will have to turn some firms down.

• Like 1

lawstudent1
  • Law Student
On 10/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, strugglebubble said:

Osler, Fasken, Goodmans, Wildeboer, McMillan, and Norton 

Did you get all of those ITCs??! Congrats if you did, that's awesome

• Thanks 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
16 minutes ago, sleeping said:

Has anyone at Queen’s heard from WeirFoulds, Miller Thomson or Bennett Jones? 

Miller Thompson has sent OCIs for queens (at least some) 

Closing Folders
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, QueensDenning said:

Miller Thompson has sent OCIs for queens (at least some) 

do you mean ITC’s? also, does this mean if you didn’t receive one it’s a PFO? 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
51 minutes ago, Closing Folders said:

do you mean ITC’s? also, does this mean if you didn’t receive one it’s a PFO? 

I do mean ITC my bad. No idea in terms of second question. 

penguin
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, lawyer2023 said:

Has anyone from Ottawa heard back with any ITCs?

From what I've heard, ITCs for DOJ, Miller Thompson, and Davies. PFOs from Blakes, Bennett Jones, Fasken, Hicks Morley.

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
On 10/8/2021 at 3:34 PM, strugglebubble said:

In addition to this I've also heard firms send out more ITCs than they'll actually take during interview week just becuz they're aware students will get more offers than they can take and will have to turn some firms down.

I've read this 5 times and I'm still not understanding. Are you suggesting firms send out ITCs and then don't plan on interviewing those students/won't interview those students? That doesn't happen.

• Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I will tell you that some if not all firms offer more ITCs than they would prefer, knowing that people will turn some of those down and sometimes the yield is higher than preferred, but they still go through with interviews. Maybe you're saying it that way just in a slightly less clear fashion.

The same is true of offers which is why articling classes vary year to year. Some years the yield is higher than anticipated while others is lower, but they want to hire every person they make an offer to, even if they expect a percentage to turn them down.

lawstudent1
  • Law Student
29 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

I've read this 5 times and I'm still not understanding. Are you suggesting firms send out ITCs and then don't plan on interviewing those students/won't interview those students? That doesn't happen.

I've actually heard of this happening as well. People get an ITC from a firm and then that firm calls on call day just to say they won't be scheduling an interview. Doesn't happen often from what I've heard but it does happen.

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
6 hours ago, lawstudent1 said:

I've actually heard of this happening as well. People get an ITC from a firm and then that firm calls on call day just to say they won't be scheduling an interview. Doesn't happen often from what I've heard but it does happen.

Yeah... I'm not going to say that doesn't happen, but that really doesn't happen. That's a very clear violation of the LSO's rules, and it would have a paper trail. No firm is going to risk a complaint to the LSO that is so easily provable. They'll just interview the person and dump them ASAP.

Here is the relevant LSO rule:

3. A firm that communicates its intention to interview a student must subsequently do so, unless the student has advised the firm that the student does not want to participate in the interview. Students must notify a firm of their intention to accept or decline an interview within 24 hours of being offered a time and date for an interview.

• Thanks 1

strugglebubble
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, Rashabon said:

I will tell you that some if not all firms offer more ITCs than they would prefer, knowing that people will turn some of those down and sometimes the yield is higher than preferred, but they still go through with interviews. Maybe you're saying it that way just in a slightly less clear fashion.

The same is true of offers which is why articling classes vary year to year. Some years the yield is higher than anticipated while others is lower, but they want to hire every person they make an offer to, even if they expect a percentage to turn them down.

This is exactly what I meant to say - my bad.