Toronto ITC emails

lawyer2023

2 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Do you know when they interviewed? Just curious as I had mine this morning and was wondering when roughly they get sent out. 

Queen's OCI day was October 5th. 

lawyer2023
  • Law Student

Does anyone have an idea on how many students get ITCs? Also, how many ITCs should one accept, all or up to 3?

I am losing hope every day, I interviewed with 11 firms but have not heard back from any.

8 minutes ago, lawyer2023 said:

Does anyone have an idea on how many students get ITCs? Also, how many ITCs should one accept, all or up to 3?

I am losing hope every day, I interviewed with 11 firms but have not heard back from any.

5 MAX. Sometimes no news is a good news. Either the firm not sent them yet or you are on a waitlist. At least better a PFO lol.

lawyer2023
  • Law Student
2 minutes ago, lawlaw said:

5 MAX. Sometimes no news is a good news. Either the firm not sent them yet or you are on a waitlist. At least better a PFO lol.

5 MAX that you should accept or that are sent out? Some firms hire more than 5 students, so I would guess that they send out more than 5 ITCs or in firm opportunities. 

LOL thats a great way to think about it! 

7 minutes ago, TheNCAguy said:

Looking at the time slots, it looks like 5 is like max.

Do you know where the time slots are? Or are those sent by the firms with their ITCs?

NotasStressed
  • NCA Candidate
4 minutes ago, lawyer2023 said:

5 MAX that you should accept or that are sent out? Some firms hire more than 5 students, so I would guess that they send out more than 5 ITCs or in firm opportunities. 

Do you know where the time slots are? Or are those sent by the firms with their ITCs?

Time slots are included with the firm's ITC emails! 

CapricornAKG
  • Law Student
30 minutes ago, lawlaw said:

That's reassuring to me thank you.

Pecan Boy
  • Articling Student
1 hour ago, CapricornAKG said:

I did them Thursday as well but still nothing. Are you from UOFT? I am.

Also we do get rejection emails correct?

I’m UofT, yeah. No idea if BJ does rejection emails, it varies by firm. 
Also: PFO Fasken, ITC Stikeman

• Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
46 minutes ago, lawyer2023 said:

Accept. Conventional wisdom is firms send out 3-5 as many ITCs as spots available though not sure how accurate that is, but there are a lot of candidates interviewed for these spots.

Unless things have changed in the COVID era, most firms interview in 2 hour chunks starting at 8 am. Some will do off hours like 9/11/1 instead of 8/10/12 but that screws up the calendar opposite the other firms, but again in COVID I think there has been a bit more flexibility since you're not physically travelling.

moonfox19
  • Law Student
28 minutes ago, penguin said:

Anyone hear back from Lenczner Slaght? 

I got an ITC from them on October 5th and my OCI date was the week prior

• Thanks 1

pepesilvia
  • Articling Student
56 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

Accept. Conventional wisdom is firms send out 3-5 as many ITCs as spots available though not sure how accurate that is, but there are a lot of candidates interviewed for these spots.

Unless things have changed in the COVID era, most firms interview in 2 hour chunks starting at 8 am. Some will do off hours like 9/11/1 instead of 8/10/12 but that screws up the calendar opposite the other firms, but again in COVID I think there has been a bit more flexibility since you're not physically travelling.

I think COVID may have changed things very slightly (the virtual nature makes it far more easy to interview more people) but it shouldn’t matter. On the other hand, I can see the logic in ITCing fewer people since it’s virtual and there is a general sentiment in the air that you can’t really differentiate candidates as well as you could in before-times.

I don’t think it should matter to students at all at this stage. You can be 1 of 2 candidates and just fail to make any connection, or the other candidate could be a sure-thing and you could be just their backup. Or you could be 1 of 10 candidates at a firm that loves you. I wouldn’t try to predict or anticipate things in advance or play this strategically, in all honesty, it is a waste of time. Every firm is different and that is even more true after COVID. 

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

If you don't hear anything from a firm until call day (next Friday), do you have to accept the in-firm interview immediately when they call you? My concern is that one of my lower ranked firms calls first on call day and I have to accept the in-firm interview right away, and then my first choice calls later and the only slot I can book them in for is at the end of the day, which obviously does not send the best message. 

Edited by MapleLeafs
  • Like 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
20 minutes ago, MapleLeafs said:

If you don't hear anything from a firm until call day (next Friday), do you have to accept the in-firm interview immediately when they call you? My concern is that one of my lower ranked firms calls first on call day and I have to accept the in-firm interview right away, and then my first choice calls later and the only slot I can book them in for is at the end of the day, which obviously does not send the best message. 

Firms don't really care what slot you appear in on the first day, they know how scheduling works. But you have time to think about it and get back to firms, although that makes things more difficult on their end so I don't think they are the biggest fans. You can also just book that lower ranked firm in that slot. Although I wouldn't be too stressed about it - your top ranked firm now could be your bottom ranked by the end of the first day and vice versa.

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Do most firms send ITCs? Is it a bad sign if you only have a few ITCs at this point? 

NewJd5726
  • Law Student
27 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

Do most firms send ITCs? Is it a bad sign if you only have a few ITCs at this point? 

AFAIK, most firms that OCI do send ITCs. It's not necessarily a bad sign if you haven't heard anything yet since they send them at different times. It seems like most of the smaller/mid-sized firms and boutiques take longer to send them, while nearly all of the national firms (save for McCarthy) have sent them out already.

I wouldn't count yourself out unless you've received a PFO. The firms have waitlists and with the way in-firm week is set up, some people just can't accept all their interviews and will have to decline some, in which case the firms will look to their waitlists.

Edited by NewJd5726

hundopee
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, lawlaw said:

Has anyone heard from Cassels, Norton Rose and Gowlings yet?

I know that several Windsor students have received ITCs from Norton Rose and Gowlings. Have not heard of either firm sending PFOs and nothing yet from Cassels.

• Like 1

lawstudent1
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, hundopee said:

I know that several Windsor students have received ITCs from Norton Rose and Gowlings. Have not heard of either firm sending PFOs and nothing yet from Cassels.

When were Windsor's OCIs?