Bar exam dates ( ontario)

court of private opinion

court of private opinion
  • Law Student

Hello all, 

i recently completed part 1 of the application. 

I was wondering if it was a mistake to have selected the same time period for both exams ( may/june). 

I had heard from others on this forum that its possible to take them within a week or 2 of each other. 

The next period extended into November and i feel like thats a crazy gap when you need to start articling. 

Can it be changed after the fact?

Also , who needs to " certify" our application and supporting documents? 

I admittedly havent looked into who is considered to be a referee. 

criminallyminded
  • Lawyer
13 minutes ago, court of private opinion said:

Also , who needs to " certify" our application and supporting documents? 

I got an attorney at my work to certify it. I believe that depending on your province, lawyers are automatically commissioner of oaths or notary public.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Aureliuse
  • Lawyer
On 10/9/2021 at 10:44 AM, court of private opinion said:

I was wondering if it was a mistake to have selected the same time period for both exams ( may/june). 

From my experience, it is better to put your bar exam BEHIND YOU when you article. I wrote and passed both prior to the start of my articles. I had 100 percent of my attention at work and need not take time off work during articling to study. I wrote both exams in the same period.

My friends who decided to write the exams during their articles found that they were significantly more stressed out due to having to work and study at the same time. Some articling positions are intense. Your principal might need you at work or in court (pre-covid) at all times to take notes, run errands, and observe.

• Like 1