Benefits Amount (Mental Health Coverage)

Glossness

Glossness
  • Lawyer

Hi, 

Does anyone know what kinds of benefits firms offer for mental health coverage. 

Does anyone know of firms/in house/govt  offering minimum $5,000/yr for mental health coverage? Or if anyone has insight to “industry average”, that would also be really helpful!

Thanks!

My friend! Law societies have services available independent of your employer. In BC we have LAP - the lawyer’s assistance program. I know other law societies have similar resources. So while I cannot answer you specific question I wanted to chirp up and say there ARE things out there where ever you end up. 

Hope others can be more helpful. 

• Like 5

abogada
  • Lawyer

Oh dang. I'm with the BC government and we only get $500/year for psychologist visits (pretty limited scope in terms of mental health resources). There is the government-wide employee assistance program but it is intended for short term counselling and my experience with it has not been great (e.g. you can't choose your counsellor). 

• Like 1

Glossness
  • Lawyer

Thanks everyone for answering!

Really interesting to note the difference in the coverage ($2k-$5k range for Big Law mentioned above). When I had asked around, I had heard as low as $1k which blew my mind (since that barely covers a few weeks).

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

In Ontario.

I am in a small city full service firm, my mental health coverage is $500.00 a year. Deductible is the first 20 percent of any bill. My policy covers 80 percent. On another note, my benefits don't cover optometry (eyeglasses).

As a result, when I need to cry on a psychiatrist's shoulder about how my clients are ruthless and mean (family law); I need to be concise like my submissions to court.

Oh, you will also find many small firms have no benefits coverage. You can ask for a higher salary so you can purchase your own private health insurance which isn't that bad depending on some providers.

• 4 weeks later...
t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

I'm in-house and we don't have a monetary limit, but the benefit plan will pay for two counselling sessions per month without any diagnosis (but only from approved providers), and unlimited if it's part of your treatment for a diagnosed mental health condition. 

When I was at a large regional firm I believe our coverage was up to $2,000 per year, with a $500 health spending account that could also be used.

• Like 1

Judgelight
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, ZineZ said:

My employer is looped into the Government of Canada's plan and it's $2000 with 80% coverage per year. 

Feels bad - zero coverage with the province (ont).