Windsor Law AMA

erin otoole

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

Lots of questions asked on the last forum, with the application deadline coming in fast I thought I could start a thread for any applicant that has a question. I hope my answers encourage you guys to apply and  come down the 401 for a couple years.  

About me

I am a 3L dual, and a proponent of the program, I was apprehensive at first about UDM but very happy I bit the bullet. I spend a majority of my academic time at Detroit Mercy, and 95% of my social time at Windsor Law. I summered and will be articling at a mid size firm in Ontario. 

• Like 1

ClarkGriswold
  • Applicant

The real… Erin O’Toole!? It’s a bit odd that you’ve almost competed your studies at Windsor Dual considering you graduated from Schulich in 2003, but I’ll let it slide. /s

Jokes aside, thanks for doing this AMA – it’ll be helpful for a lot of prospective students. I have a couple of questions about Windsor Single.

1) What kind of employment opportunities are available for the average Windsor student (median grades, average clinical/co-curricular experiences, and an average speaker/interviewer)? Will these students get even a single OCI? Will they struggle to land an articling position? I get the sense that some people think your school makes no sizeable difference in opportunity for the average student, others believe it’s a major factor, and plenty of people rest somewhere in the middle of these end points. I’d like your perspective on this.

2) What’s housing like? I’m interested mainly in quantity/quality of housing, the general price range, and proximity to campus.

3) What’s something you learned you like about Windsor after you started law school? It can be anything (a restaurant, park, building on campus, etc). I want to know if there’s more to enjoy in my learning environment than a view of downtown Detroit and a waterfront walkway. 

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, ClarkGriswold said:

1) What kind of employment opportunities are available for the average Windsor student (median grades, average clinical/co-curricular experiences, and an average speaker/interviewer)? Will these students get even a single OCI? Will they struggle to land an articling position? I get the sense that some people think your school makes no sizeable difference in opportunity for the average student, others believe it’s a major factor, and plenty of people rest somewhere in the middle of these end points. I’d like your perspective on this.

I am the average student, I am floating at a 76ish average at the moment, a few A's a few C's. If you put in the work you will be sitting pretty, with my grades I got a couple OCI's but no in firms. I applied broadly and got a number of interviews at "full service" firms outside of downtown, and managed to snag one. The average Windsor student should not expect to end up at Denton's but apply broadly and you will get something. I feel that my school does hold me back somewhat, but it might be the Dual JD chip I have on my shoulder. I've had kids whom haven't been accepted anywhere yet tell me I am dumb for being in the dual. But sniff around the internet and notice Windsor people aren't getting SCC or ONCA clerkships in meaningful numbers, and some of the "prestigious" firms don't even do OCI's at Windsor. On the surface, the school makes some difference, if I had B's at Queens I might have had an outside chance to snag a couple more OCI's. 

2) What’s housing like? I’m interested mainly in quantity/quality of housing, the general price range, and proximity to campus.

Housing is a big plus down here I have a nice one bedroom a couple blocks from campus for $925. If you want to live in nasty student housing, my buddy does for $375 a month. The last guy lives in a big luxury condo for $2500 a month. All these apartments are within walking distance of the school. So no complaints, set your budget and get the nicest you can get. 

3) What’s something you learned you like about Windsor after you started law school? It can be anything (a restaurant, park, building on campus, etc). I want to know if there’s more to enjoy in my learning environment than a view of downtown Detroit and a waterfront walkway. 

Its not a joke but the community, ZoomU ruined it a bit, but in my 1L year I was shocked the whole collegial nature thing was not oversold. Everyone tries to get along, we share cans, we laugh over a drink and we talk out political differences. We also have Bird scooters now and they are fun as hell. I don't think any other Ontario law school can Bird to campus. 

• Thanks 1

TangoMango
  • Law Student

I don't mean to take away from the AMA but I thought I'd wade in and provide my perspective as well. I'm a 3L single JD. 

1) I'm a very average student. 76 cumulative GPA. I didn't apply broadly and received no OCIs. However, I did receive several interview opportunities after OCIs for more social justice oriented 2L positions which was more what I was interested in anyways. As for articling recruit I applied much more broadly. I ended up getting a number of interviews ranging from govt to mid size full service firms. However, I want to add the caveat that I am an older student with what is likely more work experience than the average law student if I had to guess. I know a couple of people who will be clerking in my year and people I talk to have secured articling for the most part. I'd take that with a grain of salt though as my sample is limited. I think as an average Windsor student you will ultimately be fine. I do agree you are not going to be in Big Law most likely. You will have to be prepared to apply broadly. I would suggest adding CLA to your extra curricular activities too. First of all it's an amazing experience. Second to that it's a solid resume booster (don't do it just for this it's real people and real issues it is a commitment)

2) I've had no issues with housing. I think Erin covered it well. There's a range of available housing from rooms in student housing to apartments. I do think the cost of housing has risen since I got here. However, compared to larger cities it is still reasonable.

3) Honestly, Windsor grows on you. You just have to make the best of it. Does it have as much to offer as Toronto or Vancouver? No of course not. That being said there are some great little restaurants (twisted apron being one of my favorites), a couple of great cocktail bars (blind owl, Maiden lane) and a great little bar that hosts local small time bands regularly (phog lounge). I agree with Erin too. The Windsor law community has its issues (as does any large group of people) but overall day to day interactions are pleasant and welcoming. Finally, Windsor is home to a few amazing professors (in my opinion), David Tanovitch being one example. 

Hope this helps!