Dean’s List Cutoff

Ben

Ben
  • Law Student

Does anyone know offhand what the DHL cutoff is and what the equivalent letter grade would be? 

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Im guessing somewhere between 3.6-7. I was not on the deans list but my gpa was around 3.5. 

• Like 1

Dussy
  • Law Student

I made the 1L list this year with a 3.66. The lowest I have heard so far who made the list is 3.64, but there were likely a couple lower than that.

Edited by Dussy

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student

Also just FYI, I've been told that the top 20% cutoff is 3.47 (for 1L). 

Dussy
  • Law Student
Just now, QueensDenning said:

Also just FYI, I've been told that the top 20% cutoff is 3.47 (for 1L). 

I think you are mistaken in that info. In Helen's email asking me to be a tutor, she said that only the top 25% is asked, which this year was individuals with a GPA of 3.47 and above. So the top 20% cutoff is slightly higher.

• Like 1

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
Just now, Dussy said:

I think you are mistaken in that info. In Helen's email asking me to be a tutor, she said that only the top 25% is asked, which this year was individuals with a GPA of 3.47 and above. So the top 20% cutoff is slightly higher.

My bad. I based that assertion on the tutor cutoff, which I thought was top 20%. On that note, my grades are higher than 3.47 and I have still not been asked. Do you know if everyone over 3.47 get asked? 

Dussy
  • Law Student
9 minutes ago, QueensDenning said:

My bad. I based that assertion on the tutor cutoff, which I thought was top 20%. On that note, my grades are higher than 3.47 and I have still not been asked. Do you know if everyone over 3.47 get asked? 

She did not mention as much in her email, but I have heard from an upper year that people on the Dean's List are asked first. You will for sure be contacted, as in her email she said that tutors must be in the top 25% (3.47 and above). I am sure you will get something early next week at the latest.

Edit: You could always email her and ask. I cannot see any harm in doing so, especially because you know you made the cutoff.

Edited by Dussy
  • Thanks 1

Stacci
  • Law Student

You might want to contact her! I heard the same thing about people who made Dean’s List being contacted first but my friend who didn’t make Dean’s List but made cut off received the same email already I believe. 

Also, have you heard anything about course prizes? As far as I’m aware, the 2L and 1L class hasn’t heard anything…

Dussy
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, Stacci said:

You might want to contact her! I heard the same thing about people who made Dean’s List being contacted first but my friend who didn’t make Dean’s List but made cut off received the same email already I believe. 

Also, have you heard anything about course prizes? As far as I’m aware, the 2L and 1L class hasn’t heard anything…

I have not heard anything about course prizes either. I have been holding off on ordering my official transcript in the hope I may win one, but my hope is dwindling at this point... 😆

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
9 minutes ago, Dussy said:

I have not heard anything about course prizes either. I have been holding off on ordering my official transcript in the hope I may win one, but my hope is dwindling at this point... 😆

I should probably know this already… but I assume we need to have an official transcript for the recruits ? I’ve also heard nothing re: course prizes. Although I’m fairly certain they have not been released yet. 

Dussy
  • Law Student
Just now, QueensDenning said:

I should probably know this already… but I assume we need to have an official transcript for the recruits ? I’ve also heard nothing re: course prizes. Although I’m fairly certain they have not been released yet. 

Yes. I am 99% certain official transcripts are required for the recruits. I believe it is $15 to order one (which is ridiculous, considering they are delivered electronically).

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
Just now, Dussy said:

Yes. I am 99% certain official transcripts are required for the recruits. I believe it is $15 to order one (which is ridiculous, considering they are delivered electronically).

Anything to scrape every last penny… a Queen’s classic. Although I’m sure the other schools are no better. I remember being charged a $30 “delivery fee” for my 1L books, even though I picked up the books personally from the library. An angry expletive filled email got me a refund, but I’m still salty about it. 

• LOL 1

Stacci
  • Law Student

Well hopefully we’ll hear soon… I feel like I’ll be more disappointed than I should be because I’ve been hoping and waiting for a while now. 

I’m surprised they don’t mail the official transcript anymore- I always chalked up the $15 charge partially to the cost of the nice paper and such. 

• 2 weeks later...
Abella Swan
  • Articling Student

Course prizes typically get released in June. And you can wait til July to order your transcripts for recruit (yes, you need a copy of the official one). 

• Like 1