How much of the full sticker price will I pay for law school realistically?

Kobe

Kobe
  • Law Student

I really want to minimize debt as much as possible, looking at tuition rates makes my eyes water. How much financial aid in the forms of bursaries might you expect? Will schools offer any kind of financial aid upon acceptance? I received a very generous bursary this year for undergrad ($5500) from OSAP, might I expect similar for a JD? Or am I looking at likely paying full pop?

GGrievous
  • Law Student

I got OSAP as well, other bursaries will depend on schools. Some you have to apply for, some you'll be automatically considered for when you apply. Some are based on financial need, some are based on how good your grades are. It varies too much to give you an answer of how much you'll have to pay. You should at least get OSAP though. 

• Like 1

Kobe
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, Barry said:

I got OSAP as well, other bursaries will depend on schools. Some you have to apply for, some you'll be automatically considered for when you apply. Some are based on financial need, some are based on how good your grades are. It varies too much to give you an answer of how much you'll have to pay. You should at least get OSAP though. 

Thank you both @Barry and @MapleLeafs. I didn't know if bursaries are different once you get to law school, as they relate to OSAP.  

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
8 hours ago, MapleLeafs said:

Some bursary programs are generous, such as UofT's. You can use their calculator for an estimate 

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/academic-programs/jd-program/financial-aid-and-fees/jd-financial-aid-program#calculator

They may have updated this but when I was going to UofT the calculator spit out a higher number than what they actually gave me each year.

• Like 1

Over the span of three years I got $35k in bursaries (which included OSAP bursaries and Osgoode bursaries). Osgoode has a very generous bursary program and what you get is dependent upon your financial need in comparison to others who apply. 

People can probably help you more if they know which school you're considering. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Kobe
  • Law Student

Thanks everyone, this makes me slightly less worried about debt load. Assuming I get acceptances I'll ask more specifically about how much aid to expect at those schools as @Apple mentioned

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...