Moving to Windsor

ellewoods

ellewoods
  • Law Student

Will you be moving to Windsor this fall in case Winter 2022 is in person?

Edited by ellewoods

• ellewoods changed the title to Moving to Windsor
Jmb77345
  • Applicant

I’m planning to move in Winter (gonna suck moving in like Jan but wanna save the rent $$$$) 

• Like 1

FrenchToast19
  • Applicant

I think I will move for Fall... I predict winter is likely to be in person (or at least have more in person options than the fall) and I would rather be set up by then. Plus, I want to meet people!

Does anyone know good areas to live?

• Like 1

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

Windsor landlords around campus are some of the biggest pain in the asses you can imagine. A number of students try to move in the winter of 1L to escape terrible living conditions each year, with varying levels of success. I worry many law students will be left in the dust. 

Personally if you are even CONSIDERING coming to Windsor in the winter, or you are a dual JD with summer classes just suck it up and pay the rent for the fall. Even last year with Covid there was a decent minority of 1Ls that moved into town for online school. I heard these people have made a decent little community for themselves. 

• Thanks 1

I am a 2L and I am moving back in the Fall, even if classes are mostly online or "hybrid".

I was going to write a long response, but I feel like making a seperate thread will be more beneficial. 

• 4 weeks later...
lawess
  • Law Student

im a dual, planning on moving in the winter if classes are in person. i dont really see a reason to move cities just to sit in a (new) apartment all day, every day lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
lawstudent232323
  • Law Student
On 6/11/2021 at 4:32 PM, FrenchToast19 said:

I think I will move for Fall... I predict winter is likely to be in person (or at least have more in person options than the fall) and I would rather be set up by then. Plus, I want to meet people!

Does anyone know good areas to live?

Has it been confirmed that fall term will be online? I haven’t read anything explicitly saying this just that classes will be offered in various formats. Can anyone confirm?

8 hours ago, nurse2lawyer said:

Has it been confirmed that fall term will be online? I haven’t read anything explicitly saying this just that classes will be offered in various formats. Can anyone confirm?

Unless there is another outbreak between now and Sept, you can expect in person class.

https://www.uwindsor.ca/returntocampus/

I recommend you try to find a place to live ASAP. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-for-rent/windsor-area-on/university/k0c30349001l1700220?rb=true&ad=offering

AllRise
  • Law Student
17 hours ago, nurse2lawyer said:

Hi nurse2lawyer... congratulations on your acceptance.

With regards to your question, I would encourage you to reach out to Francine Herlehey (herlehy@uwindsor.ca)(Assistant Dean, Student Services) at Windsor with your question. I have received different information than luckycharm has provided. Based on communication thus far I am expecting online learning for the fall term and hybrid/in-person learning for the winter term.

Regardless, I would encourage you to reach out to Francine with your question for clarification, join the Windsor Class of 2024 Facebook group, and set up your UWin ID as soon as possible so you have access to Blackboard and all of the official Windsor Law updates that are posted there.

• Thanks 1

lawstudent232323
  • Law Student

Anyone else struggling to find a place? I’ve tried kijiji, Facebook market, apartment websites/listings. Very stressed! I’m not sure when the in person orientation begins as I haven’t been sent the details, my hope was to move in my mid August but I’m not sure if that’s feasible! 

17 minutes ago, nurse2lawyer said:

Anyone else struggling to find a place? I’ve tried kijiji, Facebook market, apartment websites/listings. Very stressed! I’m not sure when the in person orientation begins as I haven’t been sent the details, my hope was to move in my mid August but I’m not sure if that’s feasible! 

https://www.kijiji.ca/b-for-rent/windsor-area-on/university/k0c30349001l1700220?rb=true&ad=offering

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, luckycharm said:

I am not sure if you are a windsor grad or not but Kijiji is your best bet, despite terrible landlords in windsor. 

1 hour ago, nurse2lawyer said:

To make you feel better to Lucky's light joke windsor landlords (slumlords) are some of the worst I have ever needed to deal with. Good luck getting landlords to reply to you, a majority of them ignored you pre-covid, and my search for this year was even worse. Windsor landlords require the shotgun approach, if 1 in 5 get back to you you're making out ok. I ended up finding both of my Windsor apartments through "ethnic" postings, might be worth looking into. 

bubblegum
  • Law School Admit
On 7/22/2021 at 11:12 PM, luckycharm said:

Unless there is another outbreak between now and Sept, you can expect in person class.

https://www.uwindsor.ca/returntocampus/

I recommend you try to find a place to live ASAP. 

Windsor has confirmed that no first year law students will be required to be on campus for the fall semester: https://www.uwindsor.ca/law/fall-2021-planning 

There hasn’t been an announcement for first years about the Winter semester yet but that will likely be in person given this announcement for upper years: https://www.uwindsor.ca/law/2700/winter-2022-planning

Fall orientation will be completely online according to all the communications I’ve received from Windsor. 

• Like 1