Have a UT Law related question? Ask!

Ghalm

Ghalm
  • Lawyer

Hi, I recently graduated from UofT Law. The previous forum had a number of posts where UofT students and/or recent graduates tried to answer questions from incoming UofT Law students or current students who might want the perspective of someone a few years ahead... So... feel free to ask any kind of question and at the very least I will try to give my opinion - and maybe some other UofT Law students/alumni will chime in too 🙂

Edited by Ghalm
  • Like 2

LSTrailers
  • Law Student

Thanks for this! Do you know anything about doing a directed research paper? Specifically, is it graded on the P, H, HH scale? Do you need to independently reach out to a prof to supervise you, or do you just sign up through normal course registration?

• Like 1

FriendlyMemeGuy493
  • Applicant

How'd you find the social life/community? As a current UofT undergrad I know everybody clowns us for having a poor social life but I presume it may be different when it comes to UT law. Did you find it easy to make a group of friends? 

• TobyFlenderson pinned this topic
Ghalm
  • Lawyer
18 hours ago, LSTrailers said:

Thanks for this! Do you know anything about doing a directed research paper? Specifically, is it graded on the P, H, HH scale? Do you need to independently reach out to a prof to supervise you, or do you just sign up through normal course registration?

I do not actually know whether the directed research paper is graded on the letter grade scale or not. I did not personally do this. However, two of my friends did. You will have to double check with the Records Office, but I believe they had to reach out to a member of the teaching faculty to request supervision. It is not through normal course registration. If memory serves me correctly, you have to reach out, and then you have to submit your proposal (after getting a prof. to agree to supervise you) to a committee or to the Records Office so they can determine whether project meets their criteria. Depending on how big the proposed paper, the more credits you will get (I think, do not quote me). I recall these tidbits because I actually wish I did this program when I was a student. It seems like a great way to build on a paper you wrote in your small group in 1L or for a seminar course in another year. It can help produce a high-quality paper (I think the intent is for the paper to be of publishable quality) that you can submit to journals (which is good on its own even if you do not plan on being a scholar). I also heard its totally chill and not a lot of pressure - and if you are researching/writing on a topic you like - it is enjoyable!

• Thanks 1

Ghalm
  • Lawyer
17 hours ago, FriendlyMemeGuy493 said:

How'd you find the social life/community? As a current UofT undergrad I know everybody clowns us for having a poor social life but I presume it may be different when it comes to UT law. Did you find it easy to make a group of friends? 

I also went to UofT as an undergrad. I would say the social life is night and day. UT Law is like a fancy high school with a bunch of people eager to make friends and enjoy their three years together. Right away at the start of 1L, people were quickly and easily making friends with each other. And these friendships, from the looks of it and from personable experience, lasted throughout the years and past graduation. There are weekly events like call to the bar that many people attend to have fun. I didn't really attend those because I was a commuter and I do not drink. But, beyond that, there were many occasions where you just go have lunch with friends, or have a low-key hang out in the evening, or attend a birthday/no-reason party/gathering. I did find it easy to make friends. You have a very big common interest among each other (law), and there are like 200 students in the class so you are bound to find a few or a bunch that you vibe with on a personality level!

• Like 1

FriendlyMemeGuy493
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, Ghalm said:

I also went to UofT as an undergrad. I would say the social life is night and day. UT Law is like a fancy high school with a bunch of people eager to make friends and enjoy their three years together. Right away at the start of 1L, people were quickly and easily making friends with each other. And these friendships, from the looks of it and from personable experience, lasted throughout the years and past graduation. There are weekly events like call to the bar that many people attend to have fun. I didn't really attend those because I was a commuter and I do not drink. But, beyond that, there were many occasions where you just go have lunch with friends, or have a low-key hang out in the evening, or attend a birthday/no-reason party/gathering. I did find it easy to make friends. You have a very big common interest among each other (law), and there are like 200 students in the class so you are bound to find a few or a bunch that you vibe with on a personality level!

Great! Good to know UT law doesn't have the same UofTears vibe

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
23 hours ago, LSTrailers said:

I know very very few people who did a DRP and didn’t HH. Those that I do know of did it during this Covid year where there were an unprecedented amount of DRPs. It’s a great grades hack but it can really suck. I don’t even know if my supervisor actually read my paper.

And to confirm: you reach out to a prof and they say yes then you submit a research proposal to the records office that they sign off on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Twenty
  • Articling Student
On 6/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, notnotadog said:

I know very very few people who did a DRP and didn’t HH. Those that I do know of did it during this Covid year where there were an unprecedented amount of DRPs. It’s a great grades hack but it can really suck. I don’t even know if my supervisor actually read my paper.

And to confirm: you reach out to a prof and they say yes then you submit a research proposal to the records office that they sign off on.

I'm interested in knowing what you think the cons are. I'm also curious as to how you decided on your research topic. I really want to do a DRP, but it seems like whenever I think of a research topic, (1) there is already a paper written on it, (2) seems like it can be answered in a few pages, or (3) its super niche/making a mountain out of a molehill. 

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
28 minutes ago, Twenty said:

I'm interested in knowing what you think the cons are. I'm also curious as to how you decided on your research topic. I really want to do a DRP, but it seems like whenever I think of a research topic, (1) there is already a paper written on it, (2) seems like it can be answered in a few pages, or (3) its super niche/making a mountain out of a molehill. 

It sucks because a DRP is very self-motivated, so it can be easy to push it off but simultaneously feel like you should be working on it. You also often doubt yourself and whether you’re making any sense. If you ask a supervisor and they say yes, they can talk through your idea with you and tell you how to modify it, etc. But it’s super hit or miss: some supervisors rock, some suck. I met with mine once and I got very few comments from them.

• Like 2

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer
On 6/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, Ghalm said:

UT Law is like a fancy high school with a bunch of people eager to make friends and enjoy their three years together.

The high school metaphor is very apt, along with much of the nonsense you'd expect of high school students.

• LOL 1

MayWakyu
  • Law Student

Thanks for taking the time. How hard is it to transfer? I plan on transferring from Queen’s. What would be the minimum req. GPA?

Ben
  • Law Student
4 hours ago, JohnAppleseed said:

Thanks for taking the time. How hard is it to transfer? I plan on transferring from Queen’s. What would be the minimum req. GPA?

Honestly I can't imagine how anyone who goes here would know that lol, unless one of the few transfers is on this forum. You should try reaching out to people who transferred, or contacting the school directly. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
jawnlegend
  • Law Student

Hi all, incoming 1L here!

Does anyone know how the financial aid assessment in late September figures into the timing of paying tuition? If we have a fee deferral can we wait until the bursary has been deducted from my invoice or do we need to find a way to pay the minimum fee prior to then?

notnotadog
  • Lawyer
50 minutes ago, jawnlegend said:

Hi all, incoming 1L here!

Does anyone know how the financial aid assessment in late September figures into the timing of paying tuition? If we have a fee deferral can we wait until the bursary has been deducted from my invoice or do we need to find a way to pay the minimum fee prior to then?

You'll be fine to wait. In past years I've deferred and then simply paid the amount left over after OSAP and the bursary hit. Also, you won't have to pay the second semester's tuition until like, December or something.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Jean-Ralphio Saperstein
  • Law Student

Hi Ghalm! Thank you for doing this. I'm applying to law schools this fall and I'm interested in the Certificate program in Aboriginal Legal Studies that UofT Law offers along with the JD. What do you think about the certificate programs?

• 1 month later...
atarack
  • Applicant

I am an international student. I got 167 in LSAT and 4.12 / 4.3 in GPA.(It was hard for me to convert my GPA to OLSAS one so that is my cumulative GPA).

My family is currently in trial which distracted me a lot from LSAT.

Moreover, my English was a real obstacle in solving LSAT questions.

I got low GPA in two semesters and have reasons for that.

Do you recommend me to submit unrequired GPA and LSAT addendum?

Edited by atarack

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Serendipity
  • Applicant

Can offers be rescinded if you retake the LSAT and score lower, hypothetically speaking? Or does it no longer matter?

• LOL 1

scooter
  • Law Student
1 minute ago, Serendipity said:

Can offers be rescinded if you retake the LSAT and score lower, hypothetically speaking? Or does it no longer matter?

Have you already been accepted? Why would you rewrite the LSAT? And no, I doubt they would rescind your offer.

Serendipity
  • Applicant
12 minutes ago, scooter said:

Have you already been accepted? Why would you rewrite the LSAT? And no, I doubt they would rescind your offer.

Yes, and because I intend to apply to different schools as well. I think it's unlikely that I'll do worse, though obviously I wish to guard against any contingencies. Thanks for your help 🙂

Edited by Serendipity

• 1 month later...
Z.Q
  • High School

I'm a high school student in Ontario, I was wondering about:

What are courses I should take in highschool to get into UT Law?

Will SHSM help me?

What are tests I need to pass?

Is there any important oppoutunities I should know?

[ I thought I should ask some pros about these question, thank U so much if you decided to reply : )

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
47 minutes ago, Z.Q said:

Will SHSM help me?

[ I thought I should ask some pros about these question, thank U so much if you decided to reply : )

Firstly, you should start with some basic google research on "how to become a lawyer in Canada"?

https://www.law.utoronto.ca/getstarted 

https://lawapplicants.ca/faq 

• Thanks 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
56 minutes ago, Z.Q said:

Whatever you will get good grades in and will allow you to meet the prerequisites to get into your preferred first entry undergraduate program. Nobody in law school admissions will care what specific courses you took in high school.

Will SHSM help me?

No.

You'll (barring exceptional circumstances if you apply later in life, which I assume won't be the case as you're asking as a high school student) need a bachelor's degree or at least a few years of post-secondary education with competitive grades, and a competitive LSAT score. The LSAT isn't "pass/fail" and the score you will need will depend upon how good your post-secondary GPA is.

The key thing to know is that undergraduate GPA and LSAT score are almost all that matters for law school admissions in Canada and you should focus on them. I'd encourage you to take part in extracurricular activities just to be a more well-rounded and developed person (this will help you learn about yourself and what you want to do with your JD, as well as develop soft skills that will serve you in your career) but don't expect anything other than those stats to play a huge role in whether you are admitted to law school.

Edited by CleanHands
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Z.Q said:

Will SHSM help me?

I would only add to @CleanHandsreply by saying that I think you should study what interests you which includes the courses you take in high school and in undergraduate! When you are studying what interests you may be more motivated to work harder and get those high grades for any law school including for UofT! As far as I know, there is no specific set of courses in high school or undergrad that you have to take to apply to law school - students in law school have backgrounds in all kinds of different things from engineering, life science, poli sci, music, and everything in between!

Good for you for thinking early about what you need to do to become a lawyer - but keep an open mind throughout the rest of your high school and undergrad in case there are other career paths that may spark an interest 🙂 Come back when you are closer to finishing your undergrad and there will be lots of great advice on here for you to peruse! Best of luck! 

Edited by Ghalm
  • Thanks 1