Chances: LSAT 164 (87 percentile) and 87.4% GPA (after dropping lowest 18 credits)

abouttime

abouttime
  • Law School Admit

Hi everyone, 

What do you think the chances of getting accepted at UVIC is with my stats this cycle? Should I consider rewriting my LSAT or will it be more beneficial to complete my personal statement as soon as possible to submit? I do have a strong background of community involvement (Access Pro Bono, Women's Centre, Immigrant/Refugee Settlement)

Renerik
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, abouttime said:

Hi everyone, 

What do you think the chances of getting accepted at UVIC is with my stats this cycle? Should I consider rewriting my LSAT or will it be more beneficial to complete my personal statement as soon as possible to submit? I do have a strong background of community involvement (Access Pro Bono, Women's Centre, Immigrant/Refugee Settlement)

Converting that % to a GPA on a 4.3 scale would be a lot more helpful in determining your odds.

abouttime
  • Law School Admit
8 hours ago, Renerik said:

Converting that % to a GPA on a 4.3 scale would be a lot more helpful in determining your odds.

It should be 4.0 (after drop). I'm referencing it from the chart below, not sure how accurate the index is.

Renerik
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, abouttime said:

It should be 4.0 (after drop). I'm referencing it from the chart below, not sure how accurate the index is.

You need to convert each course percentage and into a grade on the 4.3 scale then tally them up. You can't convert a cumulative percentage into a 4.3 gpa because of math.

abouttime
  • Law School Admit
8 hours ago, Renerik said:

You need to convert each course percentage and into a grade on the 4.3 scale then tally them up. You can't convert a cumulative percentage into a 4.3 gpa because of math.

Even if my school already uses the 4.33 scale (UBC alum)? Sorry for asking, I'm very new to this!

• 2 weeks later...
RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 10/28/2021 at 2:40 PM, Renerik said:

Hi, was wondering how to convert a % to the 4.33 scale. Also a UBC student and they use the same grading scale as UVIC except an 85% is a 3.95 and not a 4.0 and an A- at UBC is 3.7 not a 3.67, besides these minor differences how can one convert an 88% from UBC to UVIC’s 4.33 scale? Or do we just use the % to gpa provided by UBC below? 

https://www.arts.ubc.ca/degree-planning/academic-performance/promotion-continuation-grading/

Borat
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

Hi, was wondering how to convert a % to the 4.33 scale. Also a UBC student and they use the same grading scale as UVIC except an 85% is a 3.95 and not a 4.0 and an A- at UBC is 3.7 not a 3.67, besides these minor differences how can one convert an 88% from UBC to UVIC’s 4.33 scale? Or do we just use the % to gpa provided by UBC below? 

In order to convert, you take the letter grade you received in each UBC course and convert it to the 4.33 GPA scale that is provided by UVic. For example, if you got an "A-" in a course, the GPA would be 3.67, "A" would be 4.0, "A+" would be 4.33, etc. You should not use the scale provided by UBC (i.e. your undergrad institution), since UVic always uses their own scale when converting. Also with the GPA scale, you can not convert a cumulative average (e.g. 88%) directly to the 4.33 scale. You need to convert each course individually, then calculate the average.

Use the table here to see how to convert from letter grades to 4.33.

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, Borat said:

In order to convert, you take the letter grade you received in each UBC course and convert it to the 4.33 GPA scale that is provided by UVic. For example, if you got an "A-" in a course, the GPA would be 3.67, "A" would be 4.0, "A+" would be 4.33, etc. You should not use the scale provided by UBC (i.e. your undergrad institution), since UVic always uses their own scale when converting. Also with the GPA scale, you can not convert a cumulative average (e.g. 88%) directly to the 4.33 scale. You need to convert each course individually, then calculate the average.

Use the table here to see how to convert from letter grades to 4.33.

Gotcha! That sucks that they do it that way, basically all the in between % like the 83% and 88% just get rounded down to a simple A- and A.