Habits/Tactics for Success

Phaedrus

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

I'm opposed to the idea that anyone in law intentionally sets out to become a "joke", or the person whose clients you feel bad for because of how they manage their practice. During articles, I plainly asked my principal how lawyers end up in that space and what tangible steps one can take to avoid going there (beyond what students learn in their professional ethics/responsibilities class). They observed that the most common sources of incompetence are:

• Isolation: You will never know everything you need to know; you'll have blind spots or find yourself dealing with an unfamiliar issue. When this arises, you need to have a network to rely on. Solos and small firm lawyers often struggle with professional isolation. 

• Asking for help: Related to the above, early calls and junior lawyers especially struggle to ask for help. The trap, again, is that you'll never know everything you need to. Knowing how, when and where to ask for help is imperative. 

• Substance use: This is pretty self-explanatory, and was said to be a common cause of gradual incompetence. Over time, it's easy to slip into having a drink or two (or more) after work, or smoking a tonne of pot to manage anxiety, or otherwise partying too much on the weekends. Obligations and deadlines start to slip, causing greater stress, which makes needing the outlet more imperative. 

The "tips" were:

• Build your network (and join local/national groups): It takes time, but joining area-specific associations (e.g., Criminal Lawyers' Association) and CBA/local bar sections is incredibly valuable. Access to member presentations, topic papers, or informal conversations can save you precious time and resources when you need to get up to speed quickly. 

• Watch your substance use: Again, this is self-explanatory. Sage advice I've read is that the work you do should leave you feeling satisfied or content that you've accomplished something at the end of the day (at least a good amount of the time), and not feeling like you need a drink to "unwind". 

Advice I've read elsewhere includes:

• Review relevant statutes at least once per year: The law changes. Reviewing statutes in their entirety, at least once per year, should be part of your regular professional development. 

• Don't let files stagnate for more than two weeks: Even for slow moving files, reminders should be set in your calendar to review outstanding tasks on a regular basis. 

For our practising members, what are the pitfalls or slippery slopes to incompetence that you've observed? How can students, clerks, and early calls avoid them?

Edited by Phaedrus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5