Achievements

Ryn

(I was tempted to call this thread "cheevos" because who doesn't like a playful version of the word, but I wondered how many people would actually know what the heck I'm talking about, so here we are)

As many of you no doubt have seen, I've made up some achievements (badges, as the forum software calls it) to recognize posters for their participation on the forums. I've been very pleased with how the forums have grown these past few months and I am excited to see where things go. We have record numbers participating, but there are also a lot of lurkers. I wanted to try some ways to engage with them while at the same time acknowledge all of you who create helpful, meaningful content.

I've thought at length about the best ways to do it, and the approach I've taken is to have just a few achievements. I didn't want to clutter things up with meaningless trifles like "omg, congrats you sent a DM" or "wow you made a topic", because I find those annoying. Instead, I wanted to recognize posters who truly do contribute to the community. This is a multi-part effort, the first of which is what I call the "automatic" achievements; namely ones that the software grants when certain objectives are met. The second part will be the ones awarded by the mod team on a case by case basis.

To that end, there are currently the following achievements you can earn automatically by participating:

• Helpful: Get a bunch of "thanks" reacts on your posts
  • Well Liked: Get a bunch of "like" reacts on your posts
  • Comedian: Get a bunch of "LOL" reacts on your posts
  • Popular: Be followed by several people
  • Dedicated: Browse the forums at least 10 days in a row
  • Perfect Attendance: Browse the forums at least 30 days in a row

With respect to the ones awarded by the mod team, we have not yet decided on a list, but we intend to reward activities like:

• Making a series of exceptionally thoughtful and insightful posts
  • For practitioners, participating in the practitioner forums and taking the time to give in-depth answers in your areas of expertise
  • Law students and lawyers providing significant support/advice to applicants and students

More to come on this later.

• Like 5
  • Nom! 1
  • Angry 1

TooYoung
  • Articling Student

Damnit. I was trying very hard not to get back into posting. You win. I need the digital gratification.

As an aside, have you considered an accolade for least interacted with posts? Definitely asking for a friend....

• LOL 1

On 10/29/2021 at 9:57 AM, efrefgg said:

If "like-for-like" or other reaction-farming topics emerge, I will laugh until I cry.

Who hates animal abuse and wants to win a free iPad? Like if you agree!

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Angry 1

• 2 months later...
whereverjustice
  • Lawyer

"Honestly, Morgan, Ryn's site has been doing pretty well as a successor. There's a good participation level, the mods have kept the drama levels low, and they have this thing where you get an achievement if your posts receive enough watermelon nom reaction emojis within a -- Morgan? Hello? Are you still there? Hello?"

Edited by whereverjustice
  • LOL 5

• Ryn locked this topic