Articling & Vaccine Mandates

castor

castor
  • Articling Student
1 minute ago, Kimura said:

Yes. You have a choice - we all have a choice. Choices have consequences. That's life. 

Wow. Okay. I'm done with this thread. You should be ashamed of yourself.  (if there's any unvaccinated or undisclosed students who want someone to talk to you can DM me- thanks)

• LOL 1

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
2 minutes ago, castor said:

Wow. Okay. I'm done with this thread. You should be ashamed of yourself.  (if there's any unvaccinated or undisclosed students who want someone to talk to you can DM me- thanks)

Don't tap out before @Rashabon gets the chance to chime in.

castor
  • Articling Student
3 minutes ago, ClarkGriswold said:

You are a soon-to-be articling student? Nice work, this is logically airtight.

5 minutes ago, Kimura said:

Yes. You have a choice - we all have a choice. Choices have consequences. That's life. Or go pick up a job somewhere that doesn't impose a vaccine mandate. What else are you looking for?

Good job editing that comment so it doesn't seem so brutal.

Kimura
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, castor said:

Good job editing that comment so it doesn't seem so brutal.

I'm not editing shit. Wtf do you mean brutal? I'm stating the cold hard truth - if you don't want to get vaccinated, you clearly know what's on the line - your education, your investment in your education, your future career and putting food on the table. If none of that is important enough to you to get two small jabs in your arm, then so be it, but you need to live with those consequences. I'm not an asshole for pointing out the obvious.

Edited by Kimura
  • Like 1

WhoKnows
  • Lawyer
18 minutes ago, Yogurt Baron said:

a nudist articling student who couldn't get a job because he refused to wear clothes in the office

One of the added benefits of work from home arrangements and camera angles showing neck up only. 

• LOL 2

Phaedrus
  • Lawyer

Is @TheCryptozoologist back?

OP, the glaring issue is that your original message invited the inference you believe vaccine mandates are unreasonable and were hoping for validation in having that belief endorsed by others. We could smell it from a mile away. The berating comments from our lawyers, clerks, and students is a function of social consensus on the issue. Legal experts and journalists have covered this issue for almost two years, and frankly, we're sick of talking about it.

What gets glossed over is the fact that you occupy an incredibly privileged place in society, despite your debt and despite the challenge to enter the profession. That privilege affords you power, authority and security that a lot of people don't have. It also comes with obligations and responsibilities, including the loss of certain personal liberties for the sake of public protection. We've decided so as a society, and that consensus is reflected by this board (or at least the policies are heatedly debated). Posing a question that leads to an obvious inference, one that contradicts mass social consensus, to a board that consists of the very people who think about these kind of issues on a daily basis is like kicking a bees nest and acting surprised when you get stung. 

Then, to boot, you tried to back step and disqualify (expected) negative feedback on the basis of "I didn't ask you." What's more concerning is the victim card that's played. It doesn't work. It doesn't work because it signals you realize the weakness of your proposition and you want to deflect or distract; you engaging in the debatable points of your argument. At that point, people smell blood in the water. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Okay I'm here. I take immunosuppressants and I'm going to take my third dose next week (would have gotten it a couple weeks ago but I've been busy). I have no idea of the efficacy of the vaccine for me because of my condition. I would shit on you in a second and black ball you from all work at my firm if I found out you were unvaccinated for anything but medical reasons and trying to come into the work place.

Stop being a selfish prick.

• Like 8

Serious question: what is the benefit of creating fake news re vaccines? Like is it just paranoid and self important people making shit up to feel wise and knowing? Or is some one making a buck?

I am not talking about the scientific process that involves experiments and critique and y’know, science. I am talking about that really weird 5G shit.

Edited by Hegdis
Autocorrect thinks I don’t swear lol
  • Like 2

QueensDenning
  • Articling Student
59 minutes ago, castor said:

So get vaccinated or starve? Is that really what you're saying?

I think I saw an add at my local Montana’s restaurant. Funny enough, servers don’t have to be vaccinated (although all patrons do). Anti-Vaxxers are also a lot more common in the service industry compared with law (I know this from personal experience). So maybe supplement your time off from articling with a steady bar gig? 🙂 

2 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

We need some sort of counter for consecutive days BQ has been told not to comment on a public thread. "This Board has gone 0 Days since BQ has been told to get off of a thread".

That could be a fun badge. 

• LOL 1

Darth Vader
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, castor said:

Law school debt + no job and no prospects. Never mind the INSANE amount of social pressure (uhem, this thread). You seriously don't think that's forcing people? There's more than one way to force people, and everyone knows it. This isn't not being able to go to a restaurant or a hockey game, this is an articling students only way to pay back their debt and put food on the table.

A lot of good discussion in this thread, but I want to bring it back to your own personal situation which confuses me. Are you making the argument that employers that have vaccination-mandates should be reprimanded and forced to hire people that they do not want to hire? Or, are you saying that all articling and Law Practice Program placements in the legal profession in Ontario, or another province you are located in, are inaccessible to you because they all require vaccination mandates? 

There are legal employers that are not requiring vaccination mandates. They also hire law students. Yes, the job market becomes smaller to you because of your refusal to get vaccinated, but you are not outright prohibited from finding a job as there are employers that do not require them. So, what are you really arguing here? I'm confused. I know people working in minimum wage jobs and support large families. You have a law degree and are saying that you have no job prospects? And you do not think this reeks of your entitlement? Come on. At least have the decency to accept your privilege.

LMP
  • Law Student
40 minutes ago, Hegdis said:

Serious question: what is the benefit of creating fake news re vaccines? Like is it just paranoid and self important people making shit up to feel wise and knowing? Or is some one making a buck?

I am not talking about the scientific process that involves experiments and critique and y’know, science. I am talking about that really weird 5G shit.

That's the interesting part, I believe at least a portion of the disinformation emerges from some kind of perverse altruism. People creating and sharing some of this stuff legitimately believe it to be true. And they further believe the rest of us have been fooled. To them this isn't a grassroots psyop but rather a public service announcement. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pantalaimon said:

We need some sort of counter for consecutive days BQ has been told not to comment on a public thread. "This Board has gone 0 Days since BQ has been told to get off of a thread".

image.png

• Thanks 2
  • LOL 2
  • Nom! 3

16 hours ago, Hegdis said:

I really don’t understand how these quack ideas get out there. I can’t help but meme on them though. 

But I do know there is a lot of political and monetary reason for this sort of information to be filling peoples minds. Anti-intellectualism, pseudo science and other mythology is truthfully and very lucrative business. Just look at Goop for instance. The “snake oils” sold by the various charlatans  make them a lot of money and fear / misinformation is what drives the profits higher. That doesn’t even touch the surface of the political power that can be grabbed in the vacuum created by fear. 

I also think there’s a huge ego element to it too. These 5G type people like to feel like they’re intellectually superior. In many ways they’re like the super “woke” people. They just spew nonsense and that makes them feel superior to the dumb “sheeple”. They like to think of themselves as enlightened. I think that’s a huge component and one I’ve seen. Oddly enough, a lot of these people are poorly educated and would score very low on any sort of aptitude test. In this regard I think their holding onto of these ideas may be a way to protect their egos, which is in many ways just sad. I really do feel sad for people like this. 

Carl Sagan wrote a book called “The Demon Haunted World” and he explores the rise of this sort of phenomena that we see today. It’s super fascinating and a really well written piece. I’d encourage you to check it out if you’re at all interested in the historical, psychological , cultural and political elements of these whack ideas we see so prevalent today. 

Edited by Apple
  • Like 2

• Hegdis locked this topic

Hey everyone - feel free to start up a general thread to discuss broader issues. We are going to let this specific query rest for now. I think the collective response has covered everything as far as the OP goes. 

• Sad 2