Thoughts On Dual JD?

coffeelover

20 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

In fairness, it's a degree of last resort for a reason. Its only utility over and above another school is if the U.S. JD ticks the 3-year ABA approved school requirements that certain states have for practicing (e.g. Florida) AND you aren't sure you want to practice in the U.S. right away (because if you know you want to be in the U.S., it is much better to just go to a U.S. school. Coming back to Canada from the U.S. is actually more flexible since you would just need the NCA).

I get the enthusiasm, but it is objectively not a good program and UDM is a bottom tier school. Everyone knows someone that is succeeding despite having a millstone around their neck. There is an extremely limited set of factors in which going to Windsor Dual is superior than going to a better Canadian school or going to a U.S. school. There's no point being willfully blind to the reality of it. Be enthusiastic and whatever and ignore the advice of people who say otherwise, but don't put lipstick on the pig for the sake of it.

Cool, thanks for letting me know.

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer
On 3/9/2022 at 6:34 PM, KC P said:

Unlike the current vibe here... I actually want to get into the DUAL JD program, it's my number one choice, and I would straight away pick this program over any other choice. Having worked with American firms my entire life, and potentially seeing my future in the USA, I definitely see the Dual JD as an asset!

That being said, what are my chances of getting in?

I have a B+ average from York University, undergrad was done in 2015 in Political Science.

Recently finished my MBA from Niagara University with a GPA of 3.76

Tons of professional experience in the insurance and finance industry, and volunteer experience, especially working downtown monthly doing homeless outreach.

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you!

So I graduated Dual and I would not recommend this. 

First, if you’re thinking of practising in the US, then you have a whole host of better schools you can likely get in. The education at UDM was fine and the profs were great, but the ranking unfortunately is horrible and won’t exactly open and doors for you. Although it is well known in the Detroit Legal community so if you want to stay in Detroit then Dual is fine. 

Second, if you want to stay in Canada but you’re flirting with US, then do a regular JD program like Windsor’s JD program (if you get in). Rankings aren’t as big of a deal for Ontario schools and many Windsor grads go on to do well. Further, many US states recognize Canadian JDs and will allow you to write their Bar. 

Third and most importantly, unless money is no object I just wouldn’t do it. Horribly expensive and it’s harder to do well because you’re trying to squish in twice the curriculum. Your education on many Canadian subjects can feel rushed - for example, we didn’t completely learn about Canadian evidence law. 

Unless you’ve applied a couple times and Dual is all you’ve gotten into, I’d avoid it. Yes you can do well absolutely. But, there’s easier ways to do so. It’s like you’re getting ready to start and Olympic swimming race, but you feel the need to be tied down by a 50 lb in the pool. Can you still “win the race” (if winning means getting decent grades and getting a good articling and associate job) , absolutely. But why stress yourself out unnecessarily. Save the money. Save the stress. 

Dual JD - just (don’t) do it 

• Like 1

NaomiPeralta
  • Applicant

Hi Everyone 🙂 So far the Dual JD is my only acceptance so it looks like I am going this year. Just wondering if anyone can speak on if there is transit to and from the campuses? AKA a bus that goes from Windsor - Detroit and back? I don't have a license so I am wondering if I need to get on that ASAP.

Thanks!

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer
9 minutes ago, NaomiPeralta said:

Hi Everyone 🙂 So far the Dual JD is my only acceptance so it looks like I am going this year. Just wondering if anyone can speak on if there is transit to and from the campuses? AKA a bus that goes from Windsor - Detroit and back? I don't have a license so I am wondering if I need to get on that ASAP.

Thanks!

From what I recall, there was a cross border bus which came somewhat regularly but almost everyone carpools. I’m not sure what the bus situation is like with COVID. 

You should apply for a Nexus Pass ASAP, as it allows you to cross much more easily and with less hassle. Although US border guards are always dicks. 

Just now, Bob Jones said:

From what I recall, there was a cross border bus which came somewhat regularly but almost everyone carpools. I’m not sure what the bus situation is like with COVID. 

Edited by Bob Jones

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

Tunnel Bus has been cancelled and the City said it will start again when the Feds drop the Covid testing requirement. Warning to incoming students they have jacked the price to over $10 for when it does start up again. 

You should apply for a Nexus Pass ASAP, as it allows you to cross much more easily and with less hassle. Although US border guards are always dicks. 

Funny with Covid the US stayed the same dick levels, Canada took it to an EXTREME and have become much worse than the American border mall cops. 

• Like 1

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer
On 3/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, erin otoole said:

Tunnel Bus has been cancelled and the City said it will start again when the Feds drop the Covid testing requirement. Warning to incoming students they have jacked the price to over $10 for when it does start up again. 

Funny with Covid the US stayed the same dick levels, Canada took it to an EXTREME and have become much worse than the American border mall cops. 

I can’t believe they kept the UDM classes mandatory in person due to COVID. I get it, the ABA has a hardon about being in person but it’s a pandemic. I would have applied to transfer immediately lol

• 3 months later...
missanxiety
  • Applicant

I have an offer to the Dual JD, Arizona (James E Rogers) and Penn State (Dickinson Law). Which one should I go for🥺 hoping for a Canadian JD but I do see myself moving to the US in the future. I’m currently waitlisted at my top Canadian choice and still waiting to hear back from Queens.

Edited by missanxiety

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
On 6/30/2022 at 7:44 AM, missanxiety said:

I have an offer to the Dual JD, Arizona (James E Rogers) and Penn State (Dickinson Law). Which one should I go for🥺 hoping for a Canadian JD but I do see myself moving to the US in the future. I’m currently waitlisted at my top Canadian choice and still waiting to hear back from Queens.

If you want to work in Canada your hands are pretty tied to to the Dual. Detroit Mercy is a great school, with middling outcomes for American based students.  

Do the cost benefit analysis carefully before making the decision. Windsor has been racking up the tuition big time since I have been admitted. At last check its $19.5k on top of the ridiculous $26k Detroit Mercy tuition in USD. Consider that this will be $53k a year!

Someone better versed in admissions than me please chime in, isn't anxiety's waitlist now gone considering the July 1 firm acceptance deadline has passed? 

Turtles
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, erin otoole said:

If you want to work in Canada your hands are pretty tied to to the Dual. Detroit Mercy is a great school, with middling outcomes for American based students

When Mr. O'Toole says "great school", he means the school is ranked a hot 139th best in the USA, with a median LSAT of 151 and a median GPA of 3.15 required for admission. This is similar to the definition of "great" used in the MAGA acronym. 

When he says "middling outcomes", well, he's suggesting graduates might be lucky to go on to teach a middle school course in law.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

• 2 weeks later...
lawess
  • Law Student
On 7/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, erin otoole said:

If you want to work in Canada your hands are pretty tied to to the Dual. Detroit Mercy is a great school, with middling outcomes for American based students.  

Do the cost benefit analysis carefully before making the decision. Windsor has been racking up the tuition big time since I have been admitted. At last check its $19.5k on top of the ridiculous $26k Detroit Mercy tuition in USD. Consider that this will be $53k a year!

Someone better versed in admissions than me please chime in, isn't anxiety's waitlist now gone considering the July 1 firm acceptance deadline has passed? 

UDM profs were generally pretty bad, and I wouldn't call UDM a great school.

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer
23 hours ago, kilgoretrout said:

UDM profs were generally pretty bad, and I wouldn't call UDM a great school.

Broughton was great for con law and the crim law classes he taught. The others, meh. 

lawess
  • Law Student

Broughton was great for con law and the crim law classes he taught. The others, meh. 

Yeah he was decent. The others were disorganized and not very knowledgeable 

• 6 months later...
kkm1
  • Applicant

If you apply to DUAL JD, you only apply through ouac right? 

Do you need to apply for DUAL JD from Detroit side as well?