What counts as "early" for UBC apps? And is it worth it?

mfhim
  • Applicant

What generally is the cut off to be considered for Wave 1 of apps? Also, is there any advantage or is it just about finding out sooner? Does applying earlier up your chances?

Borat
  • Law Student

UBC's application deadline is December 1st, you'll need to have your transcript in by that date as well. In previous years it appears like the first round of offers for the general category start to come out in early December. There are people who applied just before the deadline and still got offers in December or January.

One thing to consider though is that it's best to have an LSAT score on file by the deadline, since your application isn't considered 'complete' until UBC has a score. Taking the January LSAT means they won't have your score until early February. This isn't a big deal if your stats are really high, but if you feel like you're a borderline applicant it might hurt your chances since your file won't be reviewed early on in the cycle.

Bananapple
  • Applicant

This is the response I got when I asked if there’s a benefit in applying in Oct vs Nov.

“We start evaluations as soon as your application is complete. The earlier you apply the better as it helps us to evaluate completed applications rather than get it later when all applications come together and it gets overwhelming for us as well.”

• Like 1

mfhim
  • Applicant

If you have an LSAT score on file already and are considering taking again in January. Will they review your file once you submit, then review it again once your new one comes out if you didn't make the initial cut?

Borat
  • Law Student
10 minutes ago, mfhim said:

If you have an LSAT score on file already and are considering taking again in January. Will they review your file once you submit, then review it again once your new one comes out if you didn't make the initial cut?

UBC says that "Applications from candidates who write the January LSAT will not be considered complete and will not be reviewed until all elements, including the January LSAT score, are received." 

It's a bit unclear how it works for people who already have LSAT score(s) on file already. The statement above doesn't differentiate between people only taking the Jan LSAT and those re-taking the LSAT. If the two are treated equally then UBC would wait until the score comes out and your application is 'complete', instead of assessing your application twice (before and after score release). 

Last year I applied to UBC right on the deadline (Dec 1), and LSAC shows a score request from them on Dec 2 (for my "First Time Report"), and an update again in February after I took the January LSAT. So, UBC does access any existing scores on your file, and therefore theoretically could use them to make an early admission decision if you are competitive. It's best to contact admissions directly and see how they would handle something like this.

soci-student
  • Applicant
11 hours ago, Borat said:

There are people who applied just before the deadline and still got offers in December or January.

With my schedule, I would be applying probably right before the deadline. My GPA is 80, and I haven't taken my LSAT yet. Do I have a better chance if I just wait and apply next year earlier? Or does it not matter much?

Renerik
  • Law Student
8 minutes ago, soci-student said:

With my schedule, I would be applying probably right before the deadline. My GPA is 80, and I haven't taken my LSAT yet. Do I have a better chance if I just wait and apply next year earlier? Or does it not matter much?

To be close to competitive you'd be looking at a 171+ LSAT to break the traditional 92 index score threshold. At this point, that seems like a tall task for your first LSAT write. I wouldn't expect to get in this year.

• 2 weeks later...
RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 10/29/2021 at 1:30 PM, Borat said:

This isn't a big deal if your stats are really high, but if you feel like you're a borderline applicant it might hurt your chances since your file won't be reviewed early on in the cycle.

Hi, just wondering what a borderline applicant would be? I know it’s more a question for admissions but just curious. Thanks 

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 10/29/2021 at 1:30 PM, Borat said:

UBC's application deadline is December 1st, you'll need to have your transcript in by that date as well.

I believe the deadline to send transcripts is January 31st. I think I saw on their website it says Dec 1st is the deadline so it’s a little confusing but after calling them they told me it’s January 31st. Also if you call their admissions number 604-822-6303, the automated message also says January 31st. 

Borat
  • Law Student
38 minutes ago, RickyJulian said:

Hi, just wondering what a borderline applicant would be? I know it’s more a question for admissions but just curious. Thanks 

Things change every year depending on how competitive it is, but last year borderline applicants were generally those just below or just above a 92 index.

34 minutes ago, RickyJulian said:

I believe the deadline to send transcripts is January 31st. I think I saw on their website it says Dec 1st is the deadline so it’s a little confusing but after calling them they told me it’s January 31st. Also if you call their admissions number 604-822-6303, the automated message also says January 31st. 

The official website says Dec 1 as the "Supporting Documents Deadline" (with a note that this is a "New deadline for 2021"). However, if admissions explicitly told you Jan 31 is okay then I guess that's their policy. 

scooter
  • Law Student
2 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

I believe the deadline to send transcripts is January 31st.

As you said, their website says December 1st. Unless you have a different date in writing somewhere, I wouldn't necessarily trust what was said on the phone. You really have nothing to fall back on if the person on the phone made a mistake. I believe they changed the deadline this year, so the person on the phone could have easily made a mistake.

• Like 1

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, scooter said:

As you said, their website says December 1st. Unless you have a different date in writing somewhere, I wouldn't necessarily trust what was said on the phone. You really have nothing to fall back on if the person on the phone made a mistake. I believe they changed the deadline this year, so the person on the phone could have easily made a mistake.

Hi, that is definitely true to do your due diligence and not to go solely off of someones “word”. I called them because it was confusing and they agreed it is, but told me it’s not Dec 1. They prefer you sending it by Dec 1st but it’s not a hard deadline.

Today I called for an unrelated question and got the automated voice message that also states Jan 31 (number above if anyone wants to call and see). Idk if I can post a voice recording of the message here. Perhaps their own automated message saying Jan 31 is more valid than speaking to someone on the phone. I’ll send an email as well to get it in writing for further clarification. 

Edited by RickyJulian
  • Like 1