Is a 91.8 Index Score competitive?

mfhim
  • Applicant

I know this is a broad question, and a lot of variables go into it. The UBC Index Calculator website states the chances with a 91.8 as "vey high", but i'm taking that with a big grain of salt. 

I'm curious to know people's experience applying with a similar index score. Have you gotten in? What were your Softs like? 

Thanks!

Renerik
  • Law Student

The calculator is old and index scores have crept upwards. Last year, a non 92+ index was not competitive. Look at last year's archived acceptance thread and you'll see that maybe 3 or 4 applicants had an index in the high 91s.

2-5-5-2
  • Applicant

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but in a similar boat with 91.9 index score (79.5% and 171). Here's hoping this year is somehow slightly less competitive!

RickyJulian
  • Applicant

@2-5-5-2 last years index score based off an average gpa of 83.5 and lsat of 166 was 91.92. If it’s the same this year or even higher admissions GPA and/or lsat then the 92 index might not be valid as getting a 92 or slightly above it unfortunately does not pull the same weight as it used to. I’m not sure how much above the 92 index is considered “you’ll get in”, 92.3? 92.5? 

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 10/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, mfhim said:

I know this is a broad question, and a lot of variables go into it. The UBC Index Calculator website states the chances with a 91.8 as "vey high", but i'm taking that with a big grain of salt. 

I'm curious to know people's experience applying with a similar index score. Have you gotten in? What were your Softs like? 

Thanks!

I think the issue is what’s considered “competitive” and what’s considered a “you’ll get in most likely”. I think anyone with a 91.7-92 index score is “competitive”, will they get in? That is hard to answer as those individuals are close to last years index score of 91.92 but are still below it or barely over it. If someone has a 93+ index score and their personal statement is good, I personally would say to them “you’ll get in”. If someone has a 92.3 index score, is that considered a “you’ll get in most likely”? I’m not sure what the minimum threshold is now to be able to say that Lol

mfhim
  • Applicant

Hey just wondering, where did you get the 83.5 median from? Only number I can see for Medians are 83 and 166. 

Thanks!

Thrive92
  • Applicant

As others have mentioned above, being competitive and being certain of admissions are not necessarily the same thing.

Personally, I would say that you are competitive, but I do not want to assure you that you will 100% get in (I would certainly like to if I knew). Let's say that you are more likely to get in than not. I would not place too much weight on the most recent cycle -- it may be best to refer to the cycles before it, as many in this forum believe that last cycle was an abnormally competitive cycle.

If your index score is close to the "auto - admit" scores of the past, I can understand the anxiety involved, but it may be better to just keep your mind off of it until you receive that response from the adcom. I know this is easier said than done, but there's little point in pondering over it -- the decision is upto the school that will respond to your application soon.

futurelawyersomewhere
  • Applicant

Just wanted to introduce this into the conversation in case it provides more insight. UBC's faq page has this posted:

"Rolling admissions" describes the ongoing process of reviewing files and admitting applicants into the JD program. We begin reviewing individual applications within the General category as soon as all documentation has been received. For those who qualify for "early admission," offers may be made as early as November. These offers, made before the application deadline, generally go to applicants with GPAs above 84% along with an LSAT score above 166. Over the course of the spring and summer, as others withdraw or are no longer able to attend, offers will be made to those applicants that appear on our waitlist."

Feel like if you aim for around those you will be more than competitive hopefully! 

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, mfhim said:

Hey just wondering, where did you get the 83.5 median from? Only number I can see for Medians are 83 and 166. 

Thanks!

Hi, I called admissions and they told me last years gpa average was 83.5 and lsat was 166

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

As others have mentioned above, being competitive and being certain of admissions are not necessarily the same thing.

Personally, I would say that you are competitive, but I do not want to assure you that you will 100% get in (I would certainly like to if I knew). Let's say that you are more likely to get in than not. I would not place too much weight on the most recent cycle -- it may be best to refer to the cycles before it, as many in this forum believe that last cycle was an abnormally competitive cycle.

If your index score is close to the "auto - admit" scores of the past, I can understand the anxiety involved, but it may be better to just keep your mind off of it until you receive that response from the adcom. I know this is easier said than done, but there's little point in pondering over it -- the decision is upto the school that will respond to your application soon.

The conversation of last two years cycle being more competitive is one I believe, however I do not think it applies to UBC as the averages are almost the same as other years. Last years average went up by only .5, while the lsat remained the same. They did say they received more applications, however more applications does not mean more competitive since not all applications are high GPA/LSAT. For other schools, I did see the lsat and/or gpa go up considerably. For example U of C, but there lsat score is usually around 160, so for it to go up in a competitive cycle makes sense, whereas UBC’s average lsat is 166 and it’s tough to get over a 166. I still do believe that just having close to the 92 index is not enough, I think having a 92.2 index minimum is the threshold, since last year not many people got in with under 92 index but not everyone who got accepted posts on there. This is all just personal beliefs. As you said, just wait for admissions to contact you, everything else is hearsay. 

Thrive92
  • Applicant
Just now, RickyJulian said:

As you said, just wait for admissions to contact you, everything else is hearsay. 

Yep Reaction GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

• LOL 1

• 3 weeks later...
RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 11/23/2021 at 8:46 PM, Constantine said:

I got in with an index of 91.9. I think your PS comes into play more if you're below 92. 

Was this for this current cycle or previous admissions cycle? 

Constantine
  • Law School Admit
3 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

Was this for this current cycle or previous admissions cycle? 

previous