“Lock Step” Schedule

Bob Jones

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer

Hi all,

I’m currently applying and interviewing for litigation roles within medium sized firms in the GTA. I am finding that a number of them are falling pretty close to the “lock step” for my year of call. 

For those on Bay or at medium sized firms which seem to follow the step, do the annual “step” raises occur after your 12 months of employment? At the beginning of the following year/similar time for all lawyers throughout the year? 

The firm I’m currently at does not follow the lock step bumps. 

The reason why I ask is if I’m currently interviewing for roles where it appears the comp is in line for my year of call with the lock step, I wonder if it might make more sense to hold off on further applications until the new year when I am a year further in, and then eligible for the next 15-20k bump up, as opposed to having to wait a year from now (assuming I was provided an offer in the near future) to then approach my bosses to review a potential bump. 

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

On Bay, most firms bump associate salary every January based on year of call. 

I wouldn’t hold off, I would just ask about the pay structure once you’ve been offered the role and ensure you will receive the bump. Most firms will have no issue doing that. 

• Like 1

Bob Jones
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

On Bay, most firms bump associate salary every January based on year of call. 

I wouldn’t hold off, I would just ask about the pay structure once you’ve been offered the role and ensure you will receive the bump. Most firms will have no issue doing that. 

Thanks!