Suits for 1L Winter Semester

halamadrid

halamadrid
  • Law Student

Current 1L here,

Will I need to wear suit for anything course related in the Winter semester? I was going through my wardrobe and realized I don't have a suit that fits me that well. I think someone mentioned on the old forum that there was something during the Winter ELGC period but I can't recall now. If I'm completely wrong then forget I said anything 🙃

For reference I don't plan on participating in any moots, etc. during the winter term.

17 minutes ago, halamadrid said:

Current 1L here,

Will I need to wear suit for anything course related in the Winter semester? I was going through my wardrobe and realized I don't have a suit that fits me that well. I think someone mentioned on the old forum that there was something during the Winter ELGC period but I can't recall now. If I'm completely wrong then forget I said anything 🙃

For reference I don't plan on participating in any moots, etc. during the winter term.

Nothing course related. But firms will start networking events later on in 1L, and you may want one for Feb or so.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary. 

• Like 1

halamadrid
  • Law Student
3 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

Nothing course related. But firms will start networking events later on in 1L, and you may want one for Feb or so.

That being said, I don't think it's necessary. 

Great, thanks!

17 minutes ago, halamadrid said:

Great, thanks!

I've actually thought about this more, and I think that my advice may be incorrect. We had one "practice moot" where I did suit up, but it has been a number of years.

Might be worth waiting for a current student to chime in

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ZineZ said:

I've actually thought about this more, and I think that my advice may be incorrect. We had one "practice moot" where I did suit up, but it has been a number of years.

Might be worth waiting for a current student to chime in

We have a mandatory moot that OP will have to do for LP. But I doubt anyone will care if they just wear a dress shirt and tie. 

• Like 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

When I was a 1L both ELGC and LP had advocacy exercises where you should probably wear a suit, though they weren’t strictly necessary. Those were graded, however, and whether explicitly or implicitly I am sure appropriate clothing weighed on the graders mind in assessing the advocacy. 

There are also 1L jobs and clinic interviews where a suit would be necessary or preferable (depending on the job/clinic). 

I get the aversion to dropping $1000 on a suit/shirt/tie/shoes/belt combo (assuming you need all those), but unless you’re the type of person whose weight fluctuates significantly or your finances are quite tight, I think it’s a good idea to invest in one earlier. You never know when you’ll need one, and you don’t want to be in the position of having to find one last minute. And long term, as a male lawyer you’re going to need at least one suit, regardless of what your eventual career looks like. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • Like 2