Applying to other schools

Cruss

Cruss
  • Applicant

Usask is the only school I’ve applied to that asks what other schools you are applying to. Seems strange? Do you think they place emphasis on fewer schools? Should you not fill it out, or will that look worse?

I heard law schools know which other schools you applied to and got accepted at (I think through the LSAC). I would fill it out and be truthful. 

Mind you, they probably want to know the chances you would actually accept their offer.

• Like 1

Kobe
  • Law Student

I would just be honest, I think the school just uses it for their own data. It's not like in the US where yield percentages count for anything so I cannot see why the school would penalize you for applying elsewhere. 

It is my opinion as a matter of good practice you should be as honest as you can in your applications. I am sure the lawyers on here can speak to this better than me, but law is a profession that will put you into situations where you will have choices between honesty and dishonesty. If you start your career by fudging the truth where do you draw the line. Not to be dramatic this is just how I think of these things.

If your application merits approval it won't be declined because you applied elsewhere, law schools know how this works it would be crazy to expect people to only apply to their top choice school. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Cruss said:

Should you not fill it out, or will that look worse?

Granted, I don't know what Sask's forms actually say, but almost all applications contain a declaration stating that the applicant certifies the information as true and complete. Assuming that's true, omitting an answer to withhold information would be a breach of your declaration. I don't know if the breach would be detected or enforced, but it seems like a pretty inadvisable risk to take, considering the goal is to withhold information that you don't even know to be damaging. 

• Like 3

Cruss
  • Applicant

Thanks to everyone for the replies! I agree that it is best to be transparent and included it in my app. Mainly curious how this information would affect their decision (if it didn’t why would they ask?). The fact that it was an optional field seemed weird. Thanks for your thoughts!

Maritime Man
  • Applicant

I'm also worried about this. I'm applying quite broadly in Canada and I fear it will look bad for Saskatchewan.

Timmy23
  • Applicant
14 minutes ago, Sudsy said:

I'm also worried about this. I'm applying quite broadly in Canada and I fear it will look bad for Saskatchewan.

As someone else said, if you've got the stats to be accepted, you won't get rejected solely because you applied broadly. I think it's fair to assume that a majority of applicants apply to a fair number of schools, and USask knows this too.

Maritime Man
  • Applicant
2 hours ago, Timmy23 said:

As someone else said, if you've got the stats to be accepted, you won't get rejected solely because you applied broadly. I think it's fair to assume that a majority of applicants apply to a fair number of schools, and USask knows this too.

I know this has sort of already been asked, but if this particular question is optional, do you think it looks worse to not answer?

Timmy23
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, Sudsy said:

I know this has sort of already been asked, but if this particular question is optional, do you think it looks worse to not answer?

I guess it depends on how many schools you're applying to. I don't know how many the average applicant applies to, but I'd guess that if you don't answer they'll just assume you're applying to (X average) other schools. Either way I don't think it's a huge deal, but what do I know lol.

• 4 months later...
SeeYouLaterLitigator
  • Law School Admit

A little late to this post, but thought I would give some insight for those applying next year. I applied broadly across Canada (quite literally coast to coast) and USask was the only school to ask for this information. I was hesitant at first to put down the extensive list of schools I was applying to (what if they were upset USask was not the only school I was applying to *gasp* :O), but ultimately decided it was best to be honest. With great surprise, I received an acceptance fairly early on in the cycle. From my personal experience I don't think listing the schools you are applying to hinders your application in any way.  Hope this helps 🙂

• Like 2