Chances? with 3.90/4.33 and 166

RickyJulian
  • Applicant

Hello, my stats are 3.90/4.33 and a 166 lsat. A 3.9 is 84% at UBC. Current UBC student in last year. This gpa includes 12 credits dropped. Index score is: 92.06. I know it’s above the 92 index but with how competitive things have been, I’m unsure. Has anyone gotten in with similar index/stats or know anyone who has recently? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Borat
  • Law Student

Since you're a current UBC student, how did you get the 3.90/4.33 figure? You can't just directly convert an overall 3.90 average to a %. UBC Law assesses all student using percentages. For non-UBC students, their GPA figures are converted to a % using a table, but if you're a UBC student the data is directly pulled from the SSC. Go on UBC SSC under "Your Grades Summary" and calculate your overall % average (minus 12 lowest credits). 

Even during last year's really competitive cycle most people with 92+ indexes got in. I would say that you're definitely competitive. I did recall seeing some 92+ applicants get waitlisted/rejected, but there were probably other factors at play there too, like an incomplete degree, bungled personal profile, or relying on Jan LSAT scores.

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
36 minutes ago, Borat said:

Since you're a current UBC student, how did you get the 3.90/4.33 figure? You can't just directly convert an overall 3.90 average to a %. UBC Law assesses all student using percentages. For non-UBC students, their GPA figures are converted to a % using a table, but if you're a UBC student the data is directly pulled from the SSC. Go on UBC SSC under "Your Grades Summary" and calculate your overall % average (minus 12 lowest credits). 

Even during last year's really competitive cycle most people with 92+ indexes got in. I would say that you're definitely competitive. I did recall seeing some 92+ applicants get waitlisted/rejected, but there were probably other factors at play there too, like an incomplete degree, bungled personal profile, or relying on Jan LSAT scores.

Hi, thank you for your reply. My first 5 semesters were done at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) and the rest are from UBC. What I did for my KPU classes was I took the letter grades they assigned me and converted them to UBC gpa scale (I’ve attached a link for the scale below). For UBC grades I just took my percentage grades from each course and matched them up with the according GPA for example if I got an 88% in a class I assigned that a 4.2 gpa. After adding up all the GPA’s from each course, I then subtracted my lowest 4 courses and then divided the remaining GPA by remaining courses and it came out to 3.902.

It seems like even getting slightly over a 92 index score isn’t a for sure thing. As for an “incomplete degree”, would I be considered in that category as well since my degree is still in process while I apply? I will be graduating in June. 

https://www.arts.ubc.ca/degree-planning/academic-performance/promotion-continuation-grading/

Edited by RickyJulian

Borat
  • Law Student
14 minutes ago, RickyJulian said:

Hi, thank you for your reply. My first 5 semesters were done at Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) and the rest are from UBC. What I did for my KPU classes was I took the letter grades they assigned me and converted them to UBC gpa scale (I’ve attached a link for the scale below). For UBC grades I just took my percentage grades from each course and matched them up with the according GPA for example if I got an 88% in a class I assigned that a 4.2 gpa. After adding up all the GPA’s from each course, I then subtracted my lowest 4 courses and then divided the remaining GPA by remaining courses and it came out to 3.902.

Using the UBC GPA scale, you should be converting your letter grades into a % between 0-100 (don't convert it to a value on a 4.33 scale). Regardless of what grading system your institution uses, UBC converts the grades of all applicants to a percent value, and evaluates applications using that figure. Use this tool to calculate.

For your UBC grades you should definitely not be converting percentages over to the 4.33 scale. If you got 88% in a class, just use that value when calculating your overall average as a %. 

Regarding your KPU courses, do you see them shown with grades/% on the SSC as transfer credit? If so, you should probably ask admissions if those courses would be treated and calculated in the same way as the courses you took at UBC.

14 minutes ago, RickyJulian said:

It seems like even getting slightly over a 92 index score isn’t a for sure thing. As for an “incomplete degree”, would I be considered in that category as well since my degree is still in process while I apply? I will be graduating in June. 

With a 92+ index you still have a very good chance, but nothing is ever really fully guaranteed anywhere, so you should still apply elsewhere just to be safe. By "incomplete degree" I am referring to people applying now in the third year of their program (i.e. folks who would theoretically enter law school without a bachelors). Since you're currently in your fourth/final year, you won't be viewed by admissions as 'incomplete', since if you get into law school for Sept 2022 you'd have a degree conferred by then. 

One thing to keep in mind though since you're currently enrolled in courses is that UBC (unlike most other schools) does not take into account any courses which you are currently taking in term 1 (Sept - Dec 2021) when calculating your average. The cut off for calculating your average is August 2021, so don't take into account any courses taken after that.

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
7 hours ago, Borat said:

Using the UBC GPA scale, you should be converting your letter grades into a % between 0-100 (don't convert it to a value on a 4.33 scale). Regardless of what grading system your institution uses, UBC converts the grades of all applicants to a percent value, and evaluates applications using that figure. Use this tool to calculate.

For your UBC grades you should definitely not be converting percentages over to the 4.33 scale. If you got 88% in a class, just use that value when calculating your overall average as a %. 

Regarding your KPU courses, do you see them shown with grades/% on the SSC as transfer credit? If so, you should probably ask admissions if those courses would be treated and calculated in the same way as the courses you took at UBC.

With a 92+ index you still have a very good chance, but nothing is ever really fully guaranteed anywhere, so you should still apply elsewhere just to be safe. By "incomplete degree" I am referring to people applying now in the third year of their program (i.e. folks who would theoretically enter law school without a bachelors). Since you're currently in your fourth/final year, you won't be viewed by admissions as 'incomplete', since if you get into law school for Sept 2022 you'd have a degree conferred by then. 

One thing to keep in mind though since you're currently enrolled in courses is that UBC (unlike most other schools) does not take into account any courses which you are currently taking in term 1 (Sept - Dec 2021) when calculating your average. The cut off for calculating your average is August 2021, so don't take into account any courses taken after that.

Thank you tons again for your insightful replies, I really appreciate it! 

I’ll take a look at my UBC SCC to see what they have for GPA. Admissions told me they’d calculate my KPU courses the same way they would as my UBC grades. They show up as letter grades only. KPU unfortunately only gives letter grades, which sucks! I guess I did it in reverse, I used my % and converted it to a GPA. Using the tool, I put in my % grades and it actually benefited me as my % is higher than the GPA method I used, they were close but the extra .55 helps in contrast to just an 84 I’m now at a 84.55 as some courses had grades over 90%. So my index score is actually 92.21 now, YAY!

Awesome, that’s great I won’t be considered an incomplete applicant! 

Yes they told me they’d only look at courses up until August 2021, so I’ve taken this into account for calculation. One thing I didn’t mention is I have 3 prior courses under review for withdrawal via advising due to compassionate grounds. Their decision will unfortunately come after the December 1st deadline they said. Should I contact admissions to let them know if the 3 courses are dropped or will they automatically have access to this information? Those 3 courses dropped would be a huge gpa boost. 

Edited by RickyJulian

Borat
  • Law Student
47 minutes ago, RickyJulian said:

Yes they told me they’d only look at courses up until August 2021, so I’ve taken this into account for calculation. One thing I didn’t mention is I have 3 prior courses under review for withdrawal via advising due to compassionate grounds. Their decision will unfortunately come after the December 1st deadline they said. Should I contact admissions to let them know if the 3 courses are dropped or will they automatically have access to this information? Those 3 courses dropped would be a huge gpa boost. 

Admissions does have access to that information through their system since you're already a UBC student. In the case that the courses are dropped, you should still email them to notify them about the change so that (if they can) they would know to consider that.

You should also check to see if they would even consider any transcript changes occurring after the deadline, since UBC's official policies don't really have a protocol for re-assessing your transcript after your file has already been evaluated. If you do ask, let me know what they say since I'm curious to know!

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
16 hours ago, Thrive92 said:

I would be very surprised if you do not get in OP.

Good luck

Thanks, I would be too haha!

17 hours ago, Borat said:

Admissions does have access to that information through their system since you're already a UBC student. In the case that the courses are dropped, you should still email them to notify them about the change so that (if they can) they would know to consider that.

You should also check to see if they would even consider any transcript changes occurring after the deadline, since UBC's official policies don't really have a protocol for re-assessing your transcript after your file has already been evaluated. If you do ask, let me know what they say since I'm curious to know!

They told me they would consider changes if the grades are dropped after the deadline and I should contact them to notify them.

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 11/3/2021 at 11:36 PM, Borat said:

I hope I’m not coming off bragging but I spoke to admissions and they took my CGPA from KPU transcript and converted it as a whole to a UBC % and then blended it with the UBC % GPA. It came out higher than the azure calculator. 

• Like 2

Future Law Student
  • Applicant

@RickyJulian That’s great! Azure one is not fully accurate - when I transferred for my undergrad, my %age was different than the estimate. 

Did you call them or email them - as when I tried to get an estimate for mine they told me that I would be able to get it after the submission deadline? 

Also, do you know if they send out emails when there are updates - so far I haven’t received any emails about the transcripts even when it was updated in the portal? 

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, Future Law Student said:

@RickyJulian That’s great! Azure one is not fully accurate - when I transferred for my undergrad, my %age was different than the estimate. 

Did you call them or email them - as when I tried to get an estimate for mine they told me that I would be able to get it after the submission deadline? 

Also, do you know if they send out emails when there are updates - so far I haven’t received any emails about the transcripts even when it was updated in the portal? 

I had called and they told me to email my KPU transcript and they already had access to my UBC grades. I was able to find out what my combined % GPA was right away. The azure tool is pretty accurate but not 100% more like 98% in my case.

As for the rest of the questions, I don’t have an answer for them. Hopefully someone else can chime in and answer them. Good luck. 

Edited by RickyJulian
  • Like 1