Sankey Diagram of My Articling Job Hunt / My Cold Application Strategy

canuckfanatic

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

I'm really glad to see this has made a reappearance. I thought about your post a lot during my articling hunt. I would also emphasize your last paragraph to those who will see this in the future. Most of my articling interviews discussed my community involvement, and the firms liked that I knew about their involvement too and could name a couple of partnerships they had with prominent community organizations. 

I was also from the area. The firm I'll be articling at is in my hometown, and I'd only left to go to law school, and knew I wanted to live in/around the area in the future. My commitment to the area in both time, personal network, and community involvement helped to demonstrate that I'm not a flight risk post articling (apparently this is a problem in places like Ottawa), and there are business benefits to hiring local. The firm is full service, and while I'm articling I have no doubt that I'll be able to pull in business from my friends/family/connections, which I've been told makes applicants incredibly attractive.

Thanks again for posting this. Really great graphic for those who are looking for articles and having a difficult time. 

• Like 1

Chief Keef
  • Lawyer
7 hours ago, LMP said:

This graphic always spooks me a little. Far too much red for my naïve 0L eyes. 

Honestly you get pretty used to the rejection and learn to not get your hopes up really quickly.

erin otoole
  • Lawyer
On 6/6/2021 at 2:01 AM, LMP said:

This graphic always spooks me a little. Far too much red for my naïve 0L eyes. 

The graphic is not intended to spook you, its just a realistic outlook, far too often 1Ls and 2Ls only see the "successful" outcome of the recruits. If you look at my linkedin you see I am summering at a "good firm" but you don't see the 115 applications and only four Toronto OCIs. It only takes one offer and you are in the game with the big boys, you'll make it. 

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
  • ZineZ pinned this topic
  • ZineZ unpinned this topic