How do I convert my GPA to the UBC percentage GPA?

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 11/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, GorillasAreDelicious said:

My undergrad is at an institution that uses the 7 scale as per the OLSAS table below. UBC also uses a 7 scale.

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/olsas-conversion-table/

How do I convert a grade, say B+, to a percentage as per the UBC JD admissions?

Not sure if this helps entirely but try this tool, it gives you the option to convert your letter grades to UBC % 

http://lsutil.azurewebsites.net/UBC/GPA

Below are % attached to letter grades. I transferred to UBC in my second year from an institution that used only letter grades. UBC law admissions said they’d convert my letter grade to a %. My letter grade of A was given a 86%, A- was given an 80% and A+ was given a 90%. Whereas, when I transferred to UBC they gave % so some of my high A’s, were 88%, whereas my prior insulation A was given to lowest A of 86% since there was only a letter grade and no exact %. For your example of B+, I believe it would receive a 76%. I’m finding conflicting information on UBC’s webpage. On some it shows an a starting at 86% and on some pages it shows an A starting at 85 like below. 

90–100A+

85–89A

80–84A-

76–79B+

72–75B

68–71B-

64–67C+

60–63C

55–59C-

50–54D

0–49F

Edited by RickyJulian

Peanut Butter

@RickyJulian

Thank you for your reply. I am still confused. If I have a B-, is that a 68%, 71%, or something in between?

I used the calculator that you linked and got my GPA.

Do you know if UBC will tell applicants their GPA?

scooter
  • Law Student
12 minutes ago, GorillasAreDelicious said:

Do you know if UBC will tell applicants their GPA?

I think in the past people have contacted admissions after the deadline to find out their calculated UBC GPA, and ensure that it is accurate (mistakes happen)

• Like 1

Borat
  • Law Student
14 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

I’m finding conflicting information on UBC’s webpage. On some it shows an a starting at 86% and on some pages it shows an A starting at 85 like below. 

UBC's Academic Calendar, and Student Services, and all other official sources show a grade of "A" as ranging between 85-89%. Unless admissions has explicitly told you otherwise, a grade of A would be converted to 85%, not 86.

8 hours ago, GorillasAreDelicious said:

I am still confused. If I have a B-, is that a 68%, 71%, or something in between?

When letter grades are converted to percentages, the lowest value on the range is taken. So a "B-" would be 68%, "B+" would be 76%, "A+" would be 90%, etc.

crazyfrog321
  • Applicant

If my undergraduate institution is already using a percentage grading system, does UBC Law simply use the raw scores on my transcript without doing any conversion?

Peanut Butter
9 hours ago, Borat said:

UBC's Academic Calendar, and Student Services, and all other official sources show a grade of "A" as ranging between 85-89%. Unless admissions has explicitly told you otherwise, a grade of A would be converted to 85%, not 86.

When letter grades are converted to percentages, the lowest value on the range is taken. So a "B-" would be 68%, "B+" would be 76%, "A+" would be 90%, etc.

You cleared my confusion. Thanks.

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
12 hours ago, Borat said:

Hi, what GPA is an A grade is it a 3.95 then? I always thought an A grade was a 4.0. Also, I spoke to admissions today and they said they’d take my KPU transcript and actually use the GPA assigned to my letter grade since KPU doesn’t give out %. An A letter grade at KPU is 4.0 (85-89) but at UBC an A is 3.95 (85-89) and KPU A- is a 3.67, whereas UBC is 3.7, so a little confused on this now. The gentleman told me to send in my KPU transcript and he’d let me know what my KPU GPA is. They also said they’re releasing a grade calculator tool next week hopefully. 

Edited by RickyJulian