1st Year Small Firm Starting Salary Range (Vancouver)

ArticlingStudent2021

ArticlingStudent2021
  • Articling Student

Hi Guys, 

I am in the midst of completing my articles and am anticipating being called in May of 2022. My Principal had approached me last week and said that the firm was really happy with my work so far and that they wanted to keep me on after I passed the bar. They told me we could discuss more in depth in the new year. I wanted to ask in preparation for those discussions, what kind of salary range I should be expecting?

A little about the firm, its a downtown Vancouver corporate law firm, its a small firm (5 lawyers), in terms of what I'm getting paid currently, I don't feel comfortable exactly saying what it is, but I'll say it's less than what the big firms are paying, but more than most of my friends in similar sized firms. I would also like to note that I have been able to bring in some business through my personal connections as well (about $15,000 in billable work), and they were super impressed with that. Would this be something that I can/should leverage? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.