Accepted the offer but nothing has happened afterward

99problems

99problems
  • Lawyer

I have recently (10 days ago) accepted an offer for my articling. But I haven't heard back from the firm after my acceptance. I do however know that the managing partner has informed other partners of my decision. Shouldn't there be like a formal contract? Should I write to them and follow up or is it something normal and takes time?

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student

I think I would wait a few weeks before contacting. I accepted an offer through the 2L recruit, and the person who called me said it might take a few weeks for the contract to be sent over. However, presumably the firm is using the same contract they used for former students, so I don't understand why they take that long anyway 

TobyFlenderson
  • Lawyer

I’m not sure how widespread this practice is, but the firm I’ll be articling with hasn’t provided me with a contract either (accepted the job mid-summer). It sounded like I won’t get one until into 2022 when they revise the salary for the year.

• Like 1

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
12 minutes ago, TobyFlenderson said:

I’m not sure how widespread this practice is, but the firm I’ll be articling with hasn’t provided me with a contract either (accepted the job mid-summer). It sounded like I won’t get one until into 2022 when they revise the salary for the year.

Yeah, students worry about this every year and it's always a bit silly.

Everyone has taken contracts at this point, they know that the oral contract they entered into with the firm is as binding as a written one. And if they're worried the firm is going to turn around and screw them over in a few months by revoking the employment offer or something, why do they think a written one will protect them?

All of which is to say, just relax and don't worry about the written contract. It'll come when it comes. 

The much more important question is what swag will the firm send you and will it be as cool as the swag other firms send. 

• Like 1

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer
11 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The much more important question is what swag will the firm send you and will it be as cool as the swag other firms send. 

A bunch of us swapped swag and now that winter's back I can go out wearing something from 3 different firms for maximum confusion.

99problems
  • Lawyer
19 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

Everyone has taken contracts at this point, they know that the oral contract they entered into with the firm is as binding as a written one. And if they're worried the firm is going to turn around and screw them over in a few months by revoking the employment offer or something, why do they think a written one will protect them?

Yea, I see your point. I don't think it's about the extra protection but more about another confirmation of the offer...

19 hours ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

The much more important question is what swag will the firm send you and will it be as cool as the swag other firms send

I doubt there is gonna be any swags at all. 💔

99problems
  • Lawyer

@BlockedQuebecois I have another question for you on a different note: other than (maybe) the contract, is there going to be any sort of communication between the firm and the student before the beginning of articling? I tried to connect to some of the team on LinkedIn. But other than that, it is complete radio silence

Rashabon
  • Lawyer
37 minutes ago, not not a lawyer said:

@BlockedQuebecois I have another question for you on a different note: other than (maybe) the contract, is there going to be any sort of communication between the firm and the student before the beginning of articling? I tried to connect to some of the team on LinkedIn. But other than that, it is complete radio silence

Closer to your start date the usual HR onboarding will begin, but other than that, not really. What were you contemplating as a possibility? You're not yet employed there so there's not much for the lawyers at the firm to say.

• Like 1

99problems
  • Lawyer
2 hours ago, Rashabon said:

Closer to your start date the usual HR onboarding will begin, but other than that, not really. What were you contemplating as a possibility? You're not yet employed there so there's not much for the lawyers at the firm to say.

I wasn't contemplating anything tbh. I was just wondering what would happen next as I have no clue

Pantalaimon
  • Lawyer

My firm invited incoming students to Christmas parties and bar call receptions, so it's not unheard of. Probably highly dependent on firm culture.

• Thanks 1

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
4 hours ago, not not a lawyer said:

I wasn't contemplating anything tbh. I was just wondering what would happen next as I have no clue

This will depend on the firm. Some places will stay relatively quiet until close to your start date when they then contact you to fill out forms and whatnot. Other firms may do things differently. My firm didn’t contact me until about a week before my start date. 

You might be contacted about a firm Christmas party, which may be a nice soft intro to your firm as an incoming summer student.

• Thanks 1