To those who were waitlisted last year

RickyJulian
  • Applicant

After going through last years thread of those who were placed on the waitlist, specifically those individuals with high index scores and stats ie. 85% and 166 lsat. Is there any guesses or reasons you think as to why you were for example applied on last day, last minute personal statement, incomplete degree or a combination of things? Just looking to hear your guys side or your thoughts. Did you end up getting off the Waitlist or accept elsewhere? 

I know last year was a strange year but it’s bizarre seeing some of the stats of people waitlisted. Would love to hear your guys thoughts and if you can include your stats last year and if regular or discretionary. Thanks 

Edited by RickyJulian
  • Like 1

Borat
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

Is there any guesses or reasons you think as to why you were for example applied on last day, last minute personal statement, incomplete degree or a combination of things?

Biggest factor is likely the incomplete degree thing. UBC only admits a very small number of third-year applicants. Even with great stats (92+ index), it's still possible to get waitlisted/rejected.

For reference, I applied general last year and got waitlisted with index ~91.44. Given how competitive things were, I was surprised to see I was even waitlisted.

• Like 1

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
6 hours ago, Cpeaks said:

@RickyJulian thanks for this question, was wondering the same thing myself. Certainly unnerving isnt!?

Hi, no problem! Yeah it definitely makes you wonder why it happened, if other factors were at play and we can learn what not to do. Sometimes the full picture isn’t shown with just posting stats/index score

3 hours ago, Borat said:

Biggest factor is likely the incomplete degree thing. UBC only admits a very small number of third-year applicants. Even with great stats (92+ index), it's still possible to get waitlisted/rejected.

For reference, I applied general last year and got waitlisted with index ~91.44. Given how competitive things were, I was surprised to see I was even waitlisted.

I definitely think there are other factors at play like the incomplete degree. However to those who were waitlisted with 92+ index scores it would be great to hear if these factors occurred or if they had applied general, in 4th year/complete degree, and with a well written personal statement. Also, how much do you think writing the January LSAT plays into the equation for those even with 92+ indexes? Also, when you applied last year were you an incomplete degree? 

Edited by RickyJulian
  • Like 1

elle.woods
  • Law Student

I was 84.4 GPA (confirmed by ubc) & 166 LSAT and was waitlisted. I definitely applied too late last year - day before deadline. This year, my application was complete as of early/mid October - hoping this helps! 

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
3 hours ago, elle.woods said:

I was 84.4 GPA (confirmed by ubc) & 166 LSAT and was waitlisted. I definitely applied too late last year - day before deadline. This year, my application was complete as of early/mid October - hoping this helps! 

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. Were you in your 3rd year or final year/graduated when you applied last year? Even applying late those are still really good stats, and I’m surprised to hear you were waitlisted. Hopefully it isn’t the same this year. Good luck! 

Borat
  • Law Student
On 11/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, RickyJulian said:

Also, when you applied last year were you an incomplete degree? 

To be honest I'm not too sure. I took summer courses so I was technically 'done' with my degree by Sept 2021, but the actual graduation/conferral date is Nov 2021. Either way, my stats back then were not really competitive anyways.

On 11/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, RickyJulian said:

Also, how much do you think writing the January LSAT plays into the equation for those even with 92+ indexes?

Jan LSAT scores aren't released until early February, so going that route will delay review of your application. Lots of people get in after taking just the Jan LSAT, but UBC does rolling admissions and sends out a good chunk of offers in Dec and Jan, therefore the number of available seats decreases throughout the cycle. For applicants right below/above the 92 index, I feel like having your application in by Dec 1 (including transcripts and scores) is advisable.

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
8 hours ago, Borat said:

For applicants right below/above the 92 index, I feel like having your application in by Dec 1 (including transcripts and scores) is advisable.

I’m thinking of taking the January LSAT to hopefully score higher than my current 166. Sitting at a 92.26 index currently. I don’t know if I fall under the “right below/above the 92 index”. Perhaps right above is 92-92.09? Getting a 168 (if I can) would put me at a 92.66 but hopefully can get in with 166. 

12 hours ago, elle.woods said:

Are you applying with the same stats this year? 

On 11/11/2021 at 11:43 AM, Borat said:

Hopefully you were/are able to bump up your lsat score and get in this year if you are applying. Good luck!

elle.woods
  • Law Student
20 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. Were you in your 3rd year or final year/graduated when you applied last year? Even applying late those are still really good stats, and I’m surprised to hear you were waitlisted. Hopefully it isn’t the same this year. Good luck! 

I was in my fourth year! And thanks, good luck to you too!! 🙂

11 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

Are you applying with the same stats this year? 

Same LSAT score, but my GPA should be higher now that they will take my fourth year grades into consideration. 

Borat
  • Law Student
18 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

Getting a 168 (if I can) would put me at a 92.66 but hopefully can get in with 166. 

You're probably already good with a 166. Don't stress out too much, at this point just work on your personal statement if you haven't submitted yet, and apply to a range of different schools to increase your chances of getting in somewhere.

18 hours ago, RickyJulian said:

Hopefully you were/are able to bump up your lsat score and get in this year if you are applying. Good luck!

Thanks! I managed to bring up my GPA so that will probably help.

• Like 1