Cancelling my LSAT Score - Can I still view it after cancelling?

sk97

sk97
  • Applicant

Hi friends!

I'm scheduled to write the LSAT this month but I definitely feel underprepared going into it. I've sent in my Ontario school applications and indicated that I intend on writing in January 2022 as well (the schools I applied to accept January scores).

I was wondering if I choose to cancel my score this time, can I still see what I got on it after cancelling?

I used score preview last year when I wrote the exam as I was still in my undergrad at the time.

ProudCrocodile
  • Law School Admit

Score preview is only available for first time test takers. I don't think you can cancel your score after the test if this is not your first LSAT.

1 hour ago, ProudCrocodile said:

Score preview is only available for first time test takers. I don't think you can cancel your score after the test if this is not your first LSAT.

LSAC keeps changing things by the season so I may be out of touch but if memory serves only score preview is limited to first time test takers. Anyone can cancel at any time within the window provided but you don't get to see your score before doing so (if not a first time test taker). However, once scores are released they cannot be cancelled (see LSAC's cancel FAQ).

OP:

You won't be able to see your score post-cancel unfortunately. That said, there is some good news in that I really think you shouldn't cancel! All Canadian law schools (with exception of McGill and possibly UofC) take your highest score, and so you really have nothing to lose by keeping it. Everyone - and I do mean everyone - feels bad coming out of the exam including those that do exceptionally well. Basically, you can't trust how you felt about your write. On the other hand, it doesn't matter since little to no downside will come from a bad score. I mean, even if it is awful who cares?! If you get a better score next time that's all anyone would look at.

Don't forget there are near an infinite number of reasons for a poor score (e.g. stomach bug, girlfriend dumped you night before, etc) but very few for a good score; and that's the reason why most law schools only consider your highest. 

My vote is to keep it!

Edited by AllanC
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

sk97
  • Applicant
47 minutes ago, AllanC said:

LSAC keeps changing things by the season so I may be out of touch but if memory serves only score preview is limited to first time test takers. Anyone can cancel at any time within the window provided but you don't get to see your score before doing so (if not a first time test taker). However, once scores are released they cannot be cancelled (see LSAC's cancel FAQ).

OP:

You won't be able to see your score post-cancel unfortunately. That said, there is some good news in that I really think you shouldn't cancel! All Canadian law schools (with exception of McGill and possibly UofC) take your highest score, and so you really have nothing to lose by keeping it. Everyone - and I do mean everyone - feels bad coming out of the exam including those that do exceptionally well. Basically, you can't trust how you felt about your write. On the other hand, it doesn't matter since little to no downside will come from a bad score. I mean, even if it is awful who cares?! If you get a better score next time that's all anyone would look at.

Don't forget there are near an infinite number of reasons for a poor score (e.g. stomach bug, girlfriend dumped you night before, etc) but very few for a good score; and that's the reason why most law schools only consider your highest. 

My vote is to keep it!

Thank you!! That's what I was thinking as well - to keep it and do better in January. Will my schools that I have applied to + intend on applying for for the next cycle be notified of my January score? Ie. They won't reject my application based on my November score if I write in January?

hellokitty
  • Applicant

I am in a similar situation as OP and perhaps a response to this would be useful for others - From my understanding, it shows up on OLSAS when you are registered for future dates. I was told by someone else that if I am writing the Nov. test and intend to write in Jan. as well, that I should be emailing the schools' admissions offices to make sure they see that I have a future test in Jan. so they don't over look it when the Nov. scores are released in Dec.? Is this true or is this overkill?

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, sk97 said:

They won't reject my application based on my November score if I write in January?

To my knowledge, if you don't get admitted in the first round, your application will still be reviewed later when your January score comes in. 

1 hour ago, sk97 said:

Thank you!! That's what I was thinking as well - to keep it and do better in January. Will my schools that I have applied to + intend on applying for for the next cycle be notified of my January score? Ie. They won't reject my application based on my November score if I write in January?

If they know you are rewriting in January then they will hold off on making a decision about your application. So all good

1 hour ago, hellokitty said:

I am in a similar situation as OP and perhaps a response to this would be useful for others - From my understanding, it shows up on OLSAS when you are registered for future dates. I was told by someone else that if I am writing the Nov. test and intend to write in Jan. as well, that I should be emailing the schools' admissions offices to make sure they see that I have a future test in Jan. so they don't over look it when the Nov. scores are released in Dec.? Is this true or is this overkill?

I don't think it's overkill to let them know directly. I'm not knowledgeable on whether or not OLSAS will actually inform the schools of future LSAT writes, but even if that was the case, do you really want to rely on that when you have the power to do it yourself with just a few keystrokes?! No one will look poorly upon you because you sent an email saying you are rewriting and would be obliged if they held off on evaluation until the next score came in! 

Admissions is just a department full of human beings. Tell them the sitch in a polite, courteous way, and all will be well 🙂 

Edited by AllanC

stk97
  • Law School Admit

It appears you can still edit your LSAT dates on OLSAS even after it's been submitted (I just checked mine). But I agree, I don't think there is any harm in emailing to inform the admissions teams 🙂