Exam Dates & Articling Interviews

Vizslaw

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

Could some kind soul(s) please tell me when exams are in December? We are going to put out a posting for an articling student but we don't want to schedule the application deadline/interviews to be smack in the middle of exams. So we will either post and have a short deadline/compressed schedule or wait until the New Year, depending on the exam schedule.

Thanks!

Edited by Vizslaw
typo

99problems
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, Vizslaw said:

Could some kind soul(s) please tell me when exams are in December? We are going to put out a posting for an articling student but we don't want to schedule the application deadline/interviews to be smack in the middle of exams. So we will either post and have a short deadline/compressed schedule or wait until the New Year, depending on the exam schedule.

Thanks!

It varies from school to school, but at Osgoode, the exam period runs from December 6 to December 16. Deferred exams take place after the 16th.

I, as the student, don't wish to have my interviews in December. Interviews and exams are both stressful, and having them in the same time period would reduce the quality of both.

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer
10 minutes ago, not not a lawyer said:

It varies from school to school, but at Osgoode, the exam period runs from December 6 to December 16. Deferred exams take place after the 16th.

I, as the student, don't wish to have my interviews in December. Interviews and exams are both stressful, and having them in the same time period would reduce the quality of both.

The feeling is mutual. I didn't realize the exam period started so early at Osgoode.

99problems
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, Vizslaw said:

The feeling is mutual. I didn't realize the exam period started so early at Osgoode.

I just checked: the deferred examination happens from December 17 to December 23.

• Thanks 1

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

I recommend the New Year. There's no time in December that would be good - you're into holidays by the time exams end, and you'll also have folks that are going to make a decision about studying or prepping for exams, even if you were to hold it after exams end.

• Like 1

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Rashabon said:

I recommend the New Year. There's no time in December that would be good - you're into holidays by the time exams end, and you'll also have folks that are going to make a decision about studying or prepping for exams, even if you were to hold it after exams end.

We decided on the New Year - we just had some momentary panic because our much beloved law clerk announced he would be retiring in January/February and that had us all shook. Cooler heads prevailed lol. We're going to post in the New Year and do interviews mid/end January once we've got over our NYE hangovers.

• Like 2