Ask a TRU Grad

canuckfanatic

HarryCrane
  • Law Student
6 hours ago, Notworthy said:

Jealous of higher tuition cost and higher rent?

Jealous of the sense of community and collegiality the faculty has. Tuition and cost of living is a factor obviously and a strike against TRU. However, at least the people I’ve spoken to (at UofA and elsewhere) have expressed a dislike of their schools faculty, the cliques that form and that outside of your immediate friend group there isn’t a lot of information sharing. 

6 hours ago, Notworthy said:

I commend you for preaching TRU and it’s accomplishments, what it’s done for you and the opportunities it provided. I have no doubt is a good institution just not sure why there are so many digs at UofA. 

I’m not really sure what digs there were against UofA in the post you quoted? This is the TRU forum, so it’s likely going to skew in favour of TRU, and I was addressing a concern a poster had about being an Alberta resident going to TRU. In other threads I have been clear that there are advantages to going to UofA over TRU. 

Notworthy
  • Law School Admit

Your comparing one year of community to the people you know that went to UofA and saying there is less of a community there and good luck getting any help with notes. When I know different years that have had different experiences.

I know this is a TRU group which is why I said it’s a good school, but you can also say that without telling people who pick UofA will have a harder / more lonely experience.

• Like 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
4 hours ago, HarryCrane said:

Jealous of the sense of community and collegiality the faculty has. Tuition and cost of living is a factor obviously and a strike against TRU. However, at least the people I’ve spoken to (at UofA and elsewhere) have expressed a dislike of their schools faculty, the cliques that form and that outside of your immediate friend group there isn’t a lot of information sharing. 

I’m not really sure what digs there were against UofA in the post you quoted? This is the TRU forum, so it’s likely going to skew in favour of TRU, and I was addressing a concern a poster had about being an Alberta resident going to TRU. In other threads I have been clear that there are advantages to going to UofA over TRU. 

Just graduated from u of a and those comments are a complete crock of shit. Im sure you can find people at any school with such views, but in my experience and everyone else i know this was not the case

• Thanks 1

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
On 7/15/2021 at 10:38 PM, abductedbyaliens said:

I know everyone's been talking about a second screen / monitor but just wondering do you guys have a computer at home with 2 screens or do you connect your laptop to a second screen? What's more common / useful? 

Not necessary, i used just a mac air all of law school.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:59 AM, diggity said:

Thank you so much! I was just accepted but I am from Alberta, so I am wondering whether it's worth to move or not. A huge motivating factor is a positive and collegial environment like you just described. I really appreciate your time and response!

U of a is collegial. U wont need to leave alberta for that if you have offers. I agree with the positive things that have been said about TRU above but still, unless your from the area, TRU is probably rarely somebodys first choice. Anyone would likely go to uvic/ubc/uofc/uofa without much thought.

Edited by Lilbb19

BanzaiPipeline
  • Law Student

TRU can be collegial but it can also be cliquish- it many ways it is like a high school. The majority of students are from out of town, and in my opinion, it seems like the school attracts a large number of well-heeled students who are less sensitive to the tuition cost.  I chose TRU over UofA despite being from Alberta. You can look at placement rates, admission stats etc and make your decision accordingly. However, going through law school and recruitment, I found a lot of law culture is about "vibes". What firms do you vibe with, what professors, what area of the law? These questions about fit can be vastly more important as to where you end up than notions of prestige. TRU Law does have a freshness and innovative quality about it. Kamloops is an relaxed unpretentious place and TRU is a relaxed unpretentious university(if you can even really call it that). This environment does allow you to think less reflexively and more creatively about what law is to you and your place in it. The forces that make UBC, UofA or UofC what they are, are a lot stronger, and in context, I think TRU Law offers you more freedom to define yourself. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Vlaw
  • Applicant

Hi! Was unsure where to post this question but - for TRU law is there a firm acceptance deadline? I didn’t receive any information regarding that and I submitted my deposit but I just want to be sure that my spot is secured!

• 2 weeks later...
amw26
  • Law School Admit

Where is the best place to find 1L CAN's? I know there's a CAN bank but it doesn't seem to have too many recent CAN's. Do you normally just asked upper years for them or is there a google drive/dropbox?

norms
  • Law Student
On 6/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, amw26 said:

Where is the best place to find 1L CAN's? I know there's a CAN bank but it doesn't seem to have too many recent CAN's. Do you normally just asked upper years for them or is there a google drive/dropbox?

You'll find many more CANs in the CAN bank once you start in September. Upper years will submit them over the summer.

You can also ask upper years when school starts. Orientation is a great way to meet upper years. 

• Like 1

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer

You can also sign up for a upper year mentor in 1L. Take advantage of that and ask your mentor for Cans. 

• 3 weeks later...
LegallyBBrunette
  • Applicant
On 6/6/2021 at 12:47 AM, canuckfanatic said:

Graduated in 2020. Got to know the school/campus/city really well. Active in the alumni community. Hit me with your questions!

Hey!! What tips/tricks would you give to someone who is just entering 1L?? Think back to when you were completely clueless so I can skip over those awkward learning moments 😝

Lawstudents20202020
  • Lawyer
13 hours ago, LegallyBBrunette said:

Think back to when you were completely clueless so I can skip over those awkward learning moments

The awkward moments are an essential part of the law school experience. Enjoy it. 

My only tip to incoming students is you know you best. Everyone is going to be talking about the "best" way to go about law school, but what works for some people doesn't work for others. You made it through one degree, by now, you know how you learn best.

Lilbb19
  • Articling Student
On 6/30/2022 at 6:16 AM, LegallyBBrunette said:

Hey!! What tips/tricks would you give to someone who is just entering 1L?? Think back to when you were completely clueless so I can skip over those awkward learning moments 😝

Theres no avoiding it bb

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Counsel
  • Lawyer

Another graduate here, 5+ year call, working in DT Van, happy to answer any questions. 

Edited by Counsel