Being able to work from home (outside of COVID)

maybemaybe

t3ctonics
  • Lawyer

I was fully remote for like 6 months in 2020, then went to being in the office on average maybe 4-6 days a month, mostly just to catch up with whoever was in and maybe grab (or return) physical files. But I've switched to fully paperless on new files and I've been approved for full-time WFH indefinitely. I'll come in whenever someone wants an in-person meeting, and probably on occasion just to visit my colleagues, but other than that I have no desire to go back to the office. 

If I were to make a change and go somewhere new I'd probably want to be in the office full-time for a while to get a feel for the people and the culture, basically just get my bearings. But long-term I will always want to have WFH as an option. It's just so much more convenient in so many ways. It's much more comfortable, and the time it saves means I can work out, prep healthy meals, and spend the entire evening with my family.

For me, not having the option to work from home will probably be a dealbreaker from now on.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people were working on plans to return in September, but now we’re all looking closely at Alberta and Bc to see what happens there. And places like NYC and SF which have similar vaccination levels to us. 

• 1 month later...
Rusty Iron Ring
  • Lawyer

My friends doing defence work in-house at the insurance companies have been working from home at least part-time since well before the pandemic.  And some will be working from home almost completely for the foreseeable future. 

I'm with MOL - I dislike working from home, and have greatly enjoyed being able to go back to the office lately.  But some of my partners have been working from home (i.e. the cottage) since early summer, and seem quite happy.  I'm resisting the urge to look at their dockets.