How much do family lawyers make in Toronto?

kferns97

kferns97
  • Law Student

Especially for junior to mid level associates in downtown firms. Obviously money is not the primary reason for my interest in family law, but going to graduate with tons in debt

• Like 1

realpseudonym
  • Lawyer

Paging @Aureliuse and @artsydork (if he's still around!). 

Without really knowing, my impression is that family law pay varies. If you're doing a lot of LAO work, I imagine it's going to be in the same range as smaller firms that do more LAO in other practice areas. So maybe mid-five figures for junior lawyers on average, with the structure varying between eat-what-you-kill firms, salaries, and splits. Firms more geared to wealthy, private clients with assets probably pay better. 

Just as a note, I know you're asking about pay at firms, but it's also not uncommon to go out on your own in family. 

• Like 1

kferns97
  • Law Student

Do you know which firms are considered the "best" or with higher net worth clients? The only firm I know is Epstein Cole but I feel like most other firms are pretty evenly matched if that makes

Deadpool
  • Lawyer
14 minutes ago, kferns97 said:

Do you know which firms are considered the "best" or with higher net worth clients? The only firm I know is Epstein Cole but I feel like most other firms are pretty evenly matched if that makes

https://www.lexpert.ca/rankings?listing_type=firm&product=DIR&practice_area=L4&province=&search_text= 

This is a pretty accurate list. 

https://chambers.com/legal-rankings/family-matrimonial-high-net-worth-canada-21:2735:50:1 

Family/Matrimonial: High Net Worth in Canada Rankings - Band 1 - Blaney McMurtry, Epstein Cole, McCarthy Hansen & Company

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aureliuse
  • Lawyer

@realpseudonym

Ok ok, I am here, I am here! I had worked at two leading family law firms in downtown Toronto.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:33 PM, kferns97 said:

Especially for junior to mid level associates in downtown firms. Obviously money is not the primary reason for my interest in family law, but going to graduate with tons in debt

I hate to break this to you, but if you are looking to make good money, family law might not be the practice area for you. To earn a decent income, you either start your own sole practice once you become competent in this area or make it to partner at a high-end firm.

Almost all downtown Toronto family law firms (especially boutiques - practicing only family law) handle high net worth files. Many firms get referrals from high-end business/civil litigation firms on Bay St. or from many companies' in house counsel.

However, just because your files are high net worth, as a junior associate, that does not mean your salary is going to reflect the billable the firm can send to clients. If I recall correctly, junior and mid-level associates make around $70k to $130k at those firms (0 year call to 8-year-call). You would get more leverage on salary as you do more trials, niche and complex files (for example, international child abductions, appeals, high conflict, and pension files), and bring in more clients on your own. However, starting out, you will be most likely assisting a partner or a senior family law associate. You almost rarely get to carry files on your own.

Of course, how much you get paid also depends on what unique experience/skill/training you bring to the firm.

The work hours at some downtown family law firms can be soul crushing and taxing on your health. At both firms I was at, I worked 12-14 hour days, right through weekends, and even Christmas holidays. My billables could easily exceed 200+ hours each month. A slow month was around 160-170 billable hours. An intense month could hit 220-230 hours. Your life becomes your work.

As a fresh call, you are somewhat of a dime a dozen in Toronto and the top tier family law firms can be picky about who they hire. However, the lawyer burnout rate in this practice area is also quite high; so I find that there is always demand for experienced, passionate, and competent family law lawyers with trial experience (5+ years of call). The first 3-5 years are tough. Family law is a difficult practice area to learn and the law is constantly changing. There are a lot of practice nuances too.

On the topic of "best" firms, this is hard to say. Every family law firm gets difficult files and work with difficult clients. Every firm has its unique dynamic, policy, and work flow. Each downtown Toronto family law firm/department has its exceptional team of lawyers who specialize in all aspects of family law.

I sent you a PM with a list of leading family law firms (imo) in Toronto.

Edited by Aureliuse
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2