Covid bonuses part II

Chrysander

Chrysander
  • Lawyer

The second round of the 10% Covid bonuses is due this month. Many firms noted that this round would be based on your billable targets.

Some firms that have previously announced same have announced that all associates will get the bonus. Any thoughts or revelations? Are you at a firm that still says that the bonus will be based on your hours?

KOMODO
  • Lawyer

I hadn't heard of firms changing their requirements from hours-based to all associates getting the bonus. Do you happen to know / are you able to share which firms did that?

Canadaguy177
  • Lawyer
48 minutes ago, KOMODO said:

I hadn't heard of firms changing their requirements from hours-based to all associates getting the bonus. Do you happen to know / are you able to share which firms did that?

I’ve heard McMillan recently announced the change such that all associates get the bonus. Stikeman also does not have a billable hour requirement for the November bonus but my understanding is they never made the November bonus conditional on hours (unlike the other firms). 

Songbird
  • Lawyer
16 hours ago, Chrysander said:

Oh fascinating! Anybody else got some insight to share? I’m surprised how few people seem to care.

Likely because most of us are going to hit the requisite target for the bonus. It's been a busy year. 

• Like 1

KOMODO
  • Lawyer
16 hours ago, Chrysander said:

Oh fascinating! Anybody else got some insight to share? I’m surprised how few people seem to care.

If it's only McMillan, people probably just don't think that's enough to create change anywhere else. If other firms have made a similar decision, more people will take note.

Isn't everyone meeting their targets these days? I thought everyone was super busy and that's why they're unhappy and getting raises.

• Nom! 1

• 4 weeks later...
Ivermectin4President
  • Lawyer

My firm has confirmed bonus will be paid Dec 22. They took the standard position that associates would have to be on track for 1900 combined hours, with a cap on non-billables of 150. They said previously they would exercise discretion to adjust upwards of 10% for exceptionally high hours. 

So far, no one with 2200 combined hours (again, with cap of 150 non-billables) has been awarded more than the 10%. I have not heard of anyone being adjusted up from 10%. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer
26 minutes ago, Jaggers said:

2200 hours for a 10% bonus? In what world is that worth it?

This is for the second part of the 20% COVID bonus firms paid in 2021.

easttowest
  • Lawyer
9 hours ago, Jaggers said:

Seems like a lot of work, even for 20%.

Well the target is 1900 but it sounds like the firm said you could get more for higher hours, but the poster has heard that people at 2200 did not receive more. 

Agreed that 2200 for 20 is not worth it generally. But 1900 for an extra 20 isn’t bad. 

easttowest
  • Lawyer

I do think, though, that requiring associates to be tracking above target to be eligible for the extra money when last year was all shit for everybody and working from home only in lockdown was (is?) garbage and firms were breaking revenue records was beyond tone deaf.

Give everybody more money and the high performers more. 

Rashabon
  • Lawyer

Yep. I'm expecting a bump up for myself beyond the COVID bonus and the regular bonus. This year sucked but I am expecting to get paid significantly for it.

In the same vein, do you think that Canadian big law firm will grant special COVID bonuses on top of the usual yearly bonuses based on billables? U.S. law firms, albeit putting even more workload on their associates, have been giving very generous EOY COVID bonuses, on top of the retention bonuses over the year...

easttowest
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, infoinfoinfo said:

In the same vein, do you think that Canadian big law firm will grant special COVID bonuses on top of the usual yearly bonuses based on billables? U.S. law firms, albeit putting even more workload on their associates, have been giving very generous EOY COVID bonuses, on top of the retention bonuses over the year...

There has been no announcement of anything beyond the 10/10 May/Nov 2021 bonuses.

I doubt they do anything more, they just did a round of raises. 

It will take one non-BJ/Davies firm to move though and they’ll all blink, but I’m not expecting anything.