Osgoode JD/MBA

SNAILS

SNAILS
  • Law Student

If you have been accepted to Osgoode for September, I imagine that you also received an email invitng you to a Zoom meeting regarding the joint JD/MBA program with Schulich school of business. Apparently, it is still possible to apply.

How valuable would this additional degree be? Would the value of the degree apply only to individuals with certain career aspiration? (i.e. in house cooperate lawyer, business lawyer?).

Turtles
  • Law Student

I'm in the JD/MBA program. Yes, it's valuable but its value is dependent on your individual factors. 

Your question would be easier to answer if you articulate your career aspirations, academic background, work experience, and what you want to get out of it. 

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions you don't want to post 

• Like 1

LMP
  • Law Student
10 hours ago, SNAILS said:

If you have been accepted to Osgoode for September, I imagine that you also received an email invitng you to a Zoom meeting regarding the joint JD/MBA program with Schulich school of business. Apparently, it is still possible to apply.

How valuable would this additional degree be? Would the value of the degree apply only to individuals with certain career aspiration? (i.e. in house cooperate lawyer, business lawyer?).

I was looking at that email as well. I figure it you want to do corporate law or diversify your potential exit routes it seems like a good idea. 

But if like me that isn't really something you'd enjoy, you'll give it a pass. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

historicaladvantage

Hey there, Osgoode grad turned admissions consultant here...your mileage with the JD/MBA program will vary. A few thoughts: 

(1) When New York corporate firms hire Canadian students (and they do do this, albeit very sparingly) they typically prefer to hire candidates with (i) a JD/MBA and (ii) academic law journal editing experience. So if you're interested in working in New York, and don't mind being an editor for the Osgoode journal while in school, go for it! Know that you will need stellar grades and killer interview skills to pull it off. 

(2) The JD/MBA can get you a little more mileage in the 1L and 2L OCI recruit with corporate law firms in Toronto. It isn't dramatic by any means, but it can definitely help. 

(3) The JD/MBA can be a half-decent way to bridge the gap between law and business later in your career if you decide the law isn't for you and you prefer entrepreneurship. Ultimately, however, the only reason you should be going to law school is because you want to practice law. If anyone has serious apprehensions about working as a lawyer for 60-80 hours a week (particularly for the first 5-10 years of your career), then I would advise said people to pursue the MBA on its own. On the other hand, if opening a business is really only a distant thought for you down the line and/or you would like to improve your business acumen overall pursuant to potentially holding corporate management positions later in your career, then a dual MBA degree can definitely be useful. 

(4) It's an extra year of school, which isn't ideal -- but the nice thing about the JD/MBA is, after a year of law (1L) and a year of business (second year), you have the opportunity to combine schulich (business) and osgoode (law) courses in your third and fourth years. So the variety can be a nice break from the constant Osgoode courses/intensives that regular JD students have to do in order to graduate. 

(5) You get to network for not only an additional year, but with an additional faculty. So your pool of resources opens up. 

Overall, I think the JD/MBA is useful, but it's definitely far from a necessity and it certainly comes with its flaws. 

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to ask clarifying questions if you wish, I'm happy to help! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1