Retake LSAT in January?

coffeelover

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

Hi! I took the LSAT in Oct and scored a 160 and I am thinking about retaking it in the future however I am undecided on when. I am pretty burnt out from studying over the summer and will be travelling for the next few weeks (dec 14) so I will not get a chance to study until then. I have applied to Ontario law schools but idk if I should be redoing it 100% in January. I am just worried the 160 is not competitive enough for this cycle. Should I register for Jan or push off until the test until spring/summer so I can maximize my points? I understand I would have to do another cycle if I wait until after Jan to do the LSAT but this would be my 4th try so I don't want to waste it. Please let me know what your thoughts are! Thank you very much.

Thrive92
  • Applicant
11 minutes ago, coffeelover said:

Hi! I took the LSAT in Oct and scored a 160 and I am thinking about retaking it in the future however I am undecided on when. I am pretty burnt out from studying over the summer and will be travelling for the next few weeks (dec 14) so I will not get a chance to study until then. I have applied to Ontario law schools but idk if I should be redoing it 100% in January. I am just worried the 160 is not competitive enough for this cycle. Should I register for Jan or push off until the test until spring/summer so I can maximize my points? I understand I would have to do another cycle if I wait until after Jan to do the LSAT but this would be my 4th try so I don't want to waste it. Please let me know what your thoughts are! Thank you very much.

I cannot speak for the law schools in Ontario as I dont know anything about them, but as for considering the LSAT retake, I would recommend you take the Jan one if you think that will give you a more competitive edge for this current cycle. Keep in mind that you probably should contact the schools you have applied to (again, not sure about this because I dont know anything about Ontario) if you applied stating that you will not be taking the January LSAT.

You are allowed to take upto 5 LSAT tries in your lifetime, so I wouldn't sweat it on taking the January one. IMHO, if taking the Jan LSAT does nothing but to alleviate your anxiety that you gave it you all for this current cycle, I would still take it.

Good luck

• Like 1

spinelli
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, coffeelover said:

I got a 160 and got into everywhere except for U of T. My undergrad average once converted was also pretty trash and did not make up for the score whatsoever. I do have an MA (all As) and a few years of work experience relating to my area of interest + solid references. It is really up to you but I would consider the strength of your application as a whole when making your decision. 

• Like 1

Thrive92
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, Cpeaks said:

@Thrive92i think its 7 in a life time and 5 within a cycle...

You're right, my mistake.

Having said that, the increased limit plays even better to your situation OP. I'd say take the January lsat

• Thanks 1

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

I just checked with OLSAS- it is 5 trys within 3 years and then you have to wait until that 3 year span is over from the day you did your first LSAT to complete your other 2 trys.

Edited by coffeelover

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 9:31 PM, spinelli said:

I got a 160 and got into everywhere except for U of T. My undergrad average once converted was also pretty trash and did not make up for the score whatsoever. I do have an MA (all As) and a few years of work experience relating to my area of interest + solid references. It is really up to you but I would consider the strength of your application as a whole when making your decision. 

Hey! Do you remember which schools you got into?

I'm in a similar position to the OP. I got a 160 & am considering writing again in January.