Opportunities in Alberta

Lawhpefl10

Lawhpefl10
  • Applicant

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of opportunities there was for U of S law students to get jobs in Calgary or Edmonton? Is it a common occurrence and would it be a feasible goal to try and gain employment in Alberta after graduation?

Lawhpefl10
  • Applicant

Thanks! What about positions in big law though? Would you say that attending USask hinders one’s ability to gain employment in the big law field in Alberta? Or does it not really matter in comparison to Alberta schools?

Salazar
  • Law Student

I don’t think it does. USask alumni are the third largest group in Alberta after U of A and U of C alumni. Employers are very familiar with Sask grads and don’t have a problem hiring them.

Anecdotally, I have a friend at U of T who got an interview with one of the Seven Sister firms’ Calgary office and he got the opportunity at one point to see the email addresses of all his co-interviewees. Based on the school email addresses being used, almost all of said co-interviewees were USask students (no U of A or U of C students by contrast, iirc). He didn’t end up getting the job, so it most likely went to one of them. Again, it’s anecdotal, but clearly if you have the grades going to USask won’t hold you back (at least for that firm, but again it was a very big name firm).

Edited by Salazar

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer

Before I say anything, please note that I have absolutely no real experience with the Alberta recruit. 

With that said, since nobody brought it up I thought I would mention the only data I've ever seen for Alberta hiring is what Ultra Vires published last year. The data shows Calgary had the most 2L hires with 17, followed by Alberta at 10, then Saskatchewan with four. The class sizes of those schools are 129, 185, and 126, respectively. 

Obviously you have the problem that this data doesn't have Edmonton or Saskatchewan hiring data, but it suggests to me that, at least in Calgary, Saskatchewan is viewed about equally. 

Certainly if you get into Calgary and you want to work in Calgary, that's probably your best bet, but it's not like nobody gets hired out of Sask. 

• Like 2

Lawhpefl10
  • Applicant

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback. Hoping to get into Calgary but I am applying in my third year without my degree so I have a better chance of getting into Sask.