Are there any OCI firms which have requested that incoming summer students submit their 2L grades?

craigfeldspar

craigfeldspar
  • Law Student

I had heard that one of the Big Law firms has formally requested its incoming 2022 summer student interns to submit their official 2L grades, has anybody heard of anything similar? 

Eatable Bran
  • Law Student

This is pretty common practice I think? I didn’t have my grades back before summer work began, but as soon as I had them, I sent an informal transcript to my firm on their request. I will be expected to submit all grades pre-articling too, as I understand.

easttowest
  • Lawyer

I’m pretty sure they asked me for a transcript in both my summer and articling. 

I don’t think it matters. A friend posted a number of Cs after OCIs and was hired back down the line. 

• Like 1

Catpurrccino
  • Law Student

my firm requested a formal transcript when I returned the signed offer letter. a 2021 summer student told me they were not asked to submit a new transcript. but they also think a transcript upon graduation may be needed.

I'm also worrying about my grades and how they will impact my job...I doubt I can keep them the same level as in 1L...

• Thanks 1

MapleLeafs
  • Law Student
On 11/23/2021 at 6:25 PM, easttowest said:

A friend posted a number of Cs after OCIs and was hired back down the line. 

How heavily are grades considered for hireback as a first year associate? Is it okay to coast and get Bs instead of being a gunner? 

Edited by MapleLeafs

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
9 minutes ago, MapleLeafs said:

How heavily are grades considered for hireback as a first year associate? Is it okay to coast and get Bs instead of being a gunner? 

Do you think the firm is going to care about that to any meaningful extent when they have a year and a half of your actual work product to judge you by at that point?

• Like 3

easttowest
  • Lawyer
10 hours ago, MapleLeafs said:

I don’t think it matters at all. My friend above was hired back but went to NY instead. 

• Like 1

Grades don’t tend to matter really for the transition from summer student to articling student to being hired back. However, they do play a role in getting a new job if you’re not hired back or decide to move on elsewhere a year or 2 after you’re called. So bear that in mind before you decide to how much slacking off you want to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2