how to write civ pro exams

friedpotato

friedpotato
  • Law Student

Hi, 

do you have any tips for writing and studying for civil procedure exams? I feel like it's different from my other classes (contracts, criminal) because it seems more like a list of rules rather than case law. How did you go about it? 

Thanks!

Eatable Bran
  • Law Student

I really focused on creating a summary where I could very quickly find the relevant rules (tables can be helpful for this), and any tests from the case law. Then made a list of policy issues that might come up and any relevant commentary from the prof and readings on them.

My sunmary was less fact-focused than I would typically prepare for a law school exam, and definitely rule-heavy, but it wasn’t drastically different than the ones for my other exams. 

• Like 1

HammurabiTime
  • Lawyer

I didn't really find it different from my other exams. One thing I did that was helpful, and that I would recommend doing (assuming it's open book), was bringing in a copy of the annotated rules to the exam. Made it much easier to get a view of how an obscure rule worked if it popped up and/or find case law to analogize to even if in very summary format.

• Like 1