Is Uvic Law open to Diverse Views or only Left Wing?

SecondCareerLaw

SecondCareerLaw
  • Applicant

Hi All,

I would describe myself as a contrarian and a centrist. That is, I like to see all sides to an issue, and resist predictable views. Is Uvic law school too left wing for me?

I have not applied, but have some concern that the student body expects a left wing view of the world and will not socially accept fellow students who disagree, at least from time to time.  I don't believe in [removed by mods] and believe we should always go back to the evidence and solutions that work for everyone.

Any current or former Uvic law students who can weigh in on this topic?

• LOL 6

GGrievous
  • Law Student

Maybe add a warning on your PS that you might be too edgy for them to handle. Don’t put them in unnecessary danger of your centrist views. 

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1
  • LOL 12

SecondCareerLaw
  • Applicant
1 minute ago, BlockedQuebecois said:

If anything is proof positive of what I said, it’s your four hours on this forum. 

To be honest, it's sad they gave your bad behaviour a pass through law school and articles. It certainly doesn't do the image of law any good. 

• LOL 6

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
1 minute ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

To be honest, it's sad they gave your bad behaviour a pass through law school and articles. It certainly doesn't do the image of law any good. 

Yes, and you are really showing yourself to be a paragon of maturity and integrity in your limited time here.

• Like 5
  • LOL 2

BlockedQuebecois
  • Lawyer
7 minutes ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

Feel free to email the LSO and tell them a guy playing both a political party and a lawyer on the internet gave you some law school advice you didn’t like. 

Edited by BlockedQuebecois
  • LOL 1

SecondCareerLaw
  • Applicant
6 minutes ago, Rashabon said:

You're in your 40s whining on a law forum and asking dumbshit questions. That's really sad.

What's sad Rashabon, is that you graduated law school and finished articles with character this poor. It makes the legal profession look bad. Of course, you are quite cowardly in real life so take to online to project yourself. It's a sad reflection of the Queen and common law.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

ClarkGriswold
  • Applicant
2 minutes ago, SlytherinLLP said:

Please don't close this thread before we get to the good stuff.

Agreed, this has potential to get as good as the “Articling and Vaccine Mandates” thread. 

16 minutes ago, SecondCareerLaw said:

It's a sad reflection of the Queen and common law.  

Morning Way GIF

Edited by ClarkGriswold
  • Like 5

janeproc
  • Law Student

UVic is known for being as you've described, but in law evidence is intended to prevail. Alternative views are tolerated as long as you can make a good argument. Ignore the toxicity in this thread, UVic would be a good choice but I can understand the hesitance.

AMG
  • Law Student

Just about every school in Canada has students with a wide variety of viewpoints, the acceptability of your views come down to how you express them and react to opposing views. If you’re respectful about your views and in response to others, you should be fine. If you express views in a way purely to antagonize people I imagine you’ll run into problems at just about any school, regardless of what those views may be. 

• Like 3

SecondCareerLaw
  • Applicant
29 minutes ago, janeproc said:

UVic is known for being as you've described, but in law evidence is intended to prevail. Alternative views are tolerated as long as you can make a good argument. Ignore the toxicity in this thread, UVic would be a good choice but I can understand the hesitance.

Thanks, janeproc. That is helpful. It seems, then, that as long as you keep a good social connection and stick with professional argument, there is room for different views in general. That is how it should be. 

20 minutes ago, AMG said:

Just about every school in Canada has students with a wide variety of viewpoints, the acceptability of your views come down to how you express them and react to opposing views. If you’re respectful about your views and in response to others, you should be fine. If you express views in a way purely to antagonize people I imagine you’ll run into problems at just about any school, regardless of what those views may be. 

I certainly hope so. I guess it's kind've natural to judge people a little bit for their views and vice versa. But you know, in law, if nowhere else, you should be able to respect differences are normal and the best way to deal with them is to follow the conventions of "liberal cannon", as it were. 

• Like 1

Whist
  • Law Student

The Anti-Contrarians will strap you to a chair and make you sign a blood oath that you’re a leftie before you can even step foot on Vancouver Island, let alone the law school.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Bachtowork
  • Articling Student

I go to UVic, it is pretty left-wing, like most law schools, but I don't think your political views would make your time here uncomfortable - like people said, as long as you express your differing views in a respectful manner, most people don't mind; plus most of the time, politics don't even come up, at least not in the substantive law classes. 

• Like 2

Thrive92
  • Applicant

OP chances are those who are insulting you on this thread are likely not students (or never were) from UVic.

I am not from uVic myself, and probably never will be. However I doubt that the school will shun you or reject you based on your political beliefs.

If you have a problem with attending a school that is left - leaning (or dominant of any political beliefs tbh), then I would suggest you to harden your outer shell to antagonizing remarks on the internet, as you will receive alot of those regardless of what your political stance is.

• Like 3

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
8 minutes ago, Thrive92 said:

OP chances are those who are insulting you on this thread are likely not students (or never were) from UVic.

And with a single exception, every poster who has tried to reassure (or otherwise provide a "helpful" response to) the OP is an applicant who has never yet attended any law school at all.

• Like 6

Thrive92
  • Applicant
17 minutes ago, CleanHands said:

And with a single exception, every poster who has tried to reassure (or otherwise provide a "helpful" response to) the OP is an applicant who has never yet attended any law school at all.

ngl that is the only one thing that makes me hesitate to go to law school

ive noticed the overall trend in the posts between law students/lawyers and those who have yet to attend law school to have stark contrast in between the tone and the need to get "straight to the point". 

im still going to law school no matter what, but it does make me wonder what the students learn at law schools that makes them adopt the cynical attitude that is ever - so - quick to shoot down any post that they deem to deserve criticism