Should I rewrite LSAT? Western 1st choice

livitup1233

livitup1233
  • Applicant

I have written it 3x, first 2 times I got a 162. Today, I got my latest score- 161. I choked completely and I am pretty devastated but that is life. Western is my number one choice and I am an alumni. Last cycle, I was waitlisted but obviously didnt get in. This cycle, I had some help from admissions on my PS, and re applied. My L2 is around 3.7 but my cGPA is a 3.36 which sucks. Be honest, will it look bad if I re write for a fourth time if I do well the last time? What if I get the same score? 

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

Depends if you are ready to take it in Jan. Keep in mind you have a limit of 5 times to write the LSAT within a 5 year cycle. If you want to write in Jan and see if you can get a higher score or you can study for a bit longer and try to take it at a later testing date with a higher chance of getting a higher score. Don't just take it to take it. Feel confident that you have improved.

• Like 1

livitup1233
  • Applicant
3 minutes ago, coffeelover said:

Depends if you are ready to take it in Jan. Keep in mind you have a limit of 5 times to write the LSAT within a 5 year cycle. If you want to write in Jan and see if you can get a higher score or you can study for a bit longer and try to take it at a later testing date with a higher chance of getting a higher score. Don't just take it to take it. Feel confident that you have improved.

Thats a very very good call... I really want to take either Jan or Feb because I want to get into school this upcoming cycle SO badly that I am quite honestly desperate. I honestly forgot there was a 5x limit actually which changes everything... Sign ups for Jan test I think end tomorrow so maybe I shouldn't, need more time to weigh alternatives I guess. Ugh very depressing

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
6 minutes ago, livitup1233 said:

Thats a very very good call... I really want to take either Jan or Feb because I want to get into school this upcoming cycle SO badly that I am quite honestly desperate. I honestly forgot there was a 5x limit actually which changes everything... Sign ups for Jan test I think end tomorrow so maybe I shouldn't, need more time to weigh alternatives I guess. Ugh very depressing

Just curious as to why you're so focused on Western.  Why not apply broadly?  

livitup1233
  • Applicant
Just now, dimsum1 said:

Just curious as to why you're so focused on Western.  Why not apply broadly?  

I applied to Western Queens and Ryerson. Im a Western alum so I am slightly biased, I love the city and the uni environment as a whole. I have also spoken w a number of the law profs while I was doing my undergrad to speak about the school and I really felt like it was a good match for me. Also, it is the closest to home for me which helps

• Like 1

scooter
  • Law Student
23 minutes ago, livitup1233 said:

I really want to take either Jan or Feb because I want to get into school this upcoming cycle SO badly that I am quite honestly desperate.

What is your goal score? What are you scoring on practice tests? You should not rewrite in January purely out of desperation. You only have two attempts remaining, you need to make sure you are actually scoring your goal score on PTs before you write your next one.

livitup1233
  • Applicant
Just now, scooter said:

What is your goal score? What are you scoring on practice tests? You should not rewrite in January purely out of desperation. You only have two attempts remaining, you need to make sure you are actually scoring your goal score on PTs before you write your next one.

Goal score 165, I was scoring 165 or higher consistently before the actual test but I choke under pressure. I agree I think right now since I just got my latest LSAT score and I am very upset, I am thinking from a place of panic lol. I really needed this score to be a 165 for me to get into school this cycle and now I think the odds are low

coffeelover
  • Law School Admit

27 minutes ago, livitup1233 said:

Yes I know it sucks... I am in the same boat as you. I have been thinking if I should take the Jan LSAT however, I do not know if I will be ready for then. Plus, it is also really important to take a break as you will feel more refreshed to study again with a fresh new mindset. I would suggest waiting and take it spring of 2022. At least my POV is that I do not want to just increase 1-2 points and waste my tries, I'd rather go up 5+ points knowing I gave it all I can even if that means waiting another cycle..

dimsum1
  • Law School Admit
On 12/1/2021 at 9:41 AM, livitup1233 said:

I applied to Western Queens and Ryerson. Im a Western alum so I am slightly biased, I love the city and the uni environment as a whole. I have also spoken w a number of the law profs while I was doing my undergrad to speak about the school and I really felt like it was a good match for me. Also, it is the closest to home for me which helps

Fair.  It's good that you talked to the profs and had a sense of what the faculty is like, rather than just thinking "well I went to Western, so might as well continue..."

On 12/1/2021 at 10:01 AM, livitup1233 said:

Goal score 165, I was scoring 165 or higher consistently before the actual test but I choke under pressure. I agree I think right now since I just got my latest LSAT score and I am very upset, I am thinking from a place of panic lol. I really needed this score to be a 165 for me to get into school this cycle and now I think the odds are low

I'm just wondering why you think 165 will get you in?  Has Western historically accepted folks with 165 and your grades?  I'm honestly just curious regarding your thought process and why that score is the goal.

VitalGiraffe
  • Law Student
On 12/1/2021 at 9:31 AM, livitup1233 said:

Sign ups for Jan test I think end tomorrow so maybe I shouldn't, need more time to weigh alternatives I guess.

I believe you could sign up, then change your test date up until the night before the testing starts. It does cost $50, but it would take the pressure off and give you a lot more time to think it over.

livitup1233
  • Applicant
19 minutes ago, dimsum1 said:

Fair.  It's good that you talked to the profs and had a sense of what the faculty is like, rather than just thinking "well I went to Western, so might as well continue..."

I'm just wondering why you think 165 will get you in?  Has Western historically accepted folks with 165 and your grades?  I'm honestly just curious regarding your thought process and why that score is the goal.

I don't actually know, it is all presumption but my logic behind it is, my cGPA is low (3.36) and L2 is average 3.7. To stand out I would need an above average LSAT. Last cycle they had unprecedented number of applicants apparently, this year seems the same. Last cycle I was waitlisted, so I think a 165 would give me a better chance

bluebean
  • Law Student

Last cycle I was put on hold (I can't remember the terminology - check out my post history if you want specifics) with a sub 3 cGPA, 3.7ish GPA and 164 LSAT. They rejected me once my winter semester grades came in. I'd say you'd have a much higher chance with a mid 160s LSAT as I feel I was still being considered with my abominably low cGPA. Your cGPA isn't so bad so don't lose hope and do your best on the LSAT retake! 

Edited by samii
Edit: just realized my posts are in the old forum so dm me if you want specifics
  • Like 1

livitup1233
  • Applicant
13 hours ago, samii said:

Last cycle I was put on hold (I can't remember the terminology - check out my post history if you want specifics) with a sub 3 cGPA, 3.7ish GPA and 164 LSAT. They rejected me once my winter semester grades came in. I'd say you'd have a much higher chance with a mid 160s LSAT as I feel I was still being considered with my abominably low cGPA. Your cGPA isn't so bad so don't lose hope and do your best on the LSAT retake! 

Thank you for the input! Im kind of leaning towards doing the Feb LSAT.... my other option is just write it next cycle and just see what happens for the 2022 cycle. Still not sure