Just got a 166 on the lsat. Is it competitive with a 83% gpa?

Bottlebottle
  • Applicant

See title. I saw that index scores are 92+ now. My current stats place me at 91.79. I applied discretionary. Chances?

Borat
  • Law Student

You have a chance at getting in, but it's not guaranteed. It's really dependent on how competitive this cycle is. Since your stats are borderline, your personal statement (or discretionary app) would also be a big factor. To be safe you should definitely apply elsewhere as well.

you can call allard admissions and they will basically tell you if you're (a) in, (b) on the fence, (c) should rewrite LSAT to improve chances. Not anecdotal. I did this in October. 

• Like 1

ys069
  • Applicant
9 hours ago, am91 said:

you can call allard admissions and they will basically tell you if you're (a) in, (b) on the fence, (c) should rewrite LSAT to improve chances. Not anecdotal. I did this in October. 

Can you really just call them and ask like that LOL?

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
15 hours ago, am91 said:

they will basically tell you if you're (a) in, (b) on the fence, (c) should rewrite LSAT to improve chances. Not anecdotal. I did this in October. 

Just curious, for (a), did the admissions state you're 100% in or imply a high chance? It would seem strange to me that they would vouch for your admission based on numbers only since in the past UBC has waitlisted certain high index scorers.

Edited by LordBONSAI

Borat
  • Law Student
7 hours ago, LordBONSAI said:

It would seem strange to me that they would vouch for your admission based on numbers only since in the past UBC has waitlisted certain high index scorers.

That's true. I highly doubt they would basically guarantee admissions on the phone prior to having reviewed your personal statement and assessed the rest of the applicant pool.

CleanHands
  • Lawyer
3 hours ago, Borat said:

That's true. I highly doubt they would basically guarantee admissions on the phone prior to having reviewed your personal statement and assessed the rest of the applicant pool.

QuincyWagstaff on the old forums had well above median stats, wanted to go to UBC, and called and confirmed he would be admitted thus avoiding incurring the expense and work of applying anywhere else. Was definitely guaranteed given that they knew the situation and told him to rely on the info to make the decision about applications.

I don't know if that's changed now that they weigh the personal statement in the balance though.

• Like 1

Look, I've got no skin in misleading you, but you have every right to (and probably should) be discerning (this is an online forum lol). Easy solution, though: call them. If you call them they will straight up tell you if your file is, based on last year obviously, likely, unlikely, or certain to get accepted. They will tell you that no decisions are final until you (a) receive an offer, (b) the January scores are in (this is when they make final decisions about fringe candidates). 

Forget the old 92 index, btw... the median LSAT score jumped like 4 points lol.... P.S personal statements only matter for people on the fringes/discretionary

On 12/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, Borat said:

You have a chance at getting in, but it's not guaranteed. It's really dependent on how competitive this cycle is. Since your stats are borderline, your personal statement (or discretionary app) would also be a big factor. To be safe you should definitely apply elsewhere as well.

agree with all of this, too.

Edited by am91

Bottlebottle
  • Applicant

Thanks for the input everyone. I probably won’t be able to relax until I get the results. This is my second year reapplying - and Ubc is my goal since I already live so close. 

I’ve also applied to uvic, Calgary, Dalhousie and TRu 

You're a lock for the others. As for UBC, I have a similar profile and was told that a 165 was the sweet spot... you may not be able to get a definitive answer because you applied discretionary, but I have a good feeling!

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
10 hours ago, am91 said:

the median LSAT score jumped like 4 points lol....

Gee, that'd be around 170, wouldn't it? UBC's admissions get even crazier than UofT's🤪

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
50 minutes ago, am91 said:

In the last couple years it went from 163 to 166 I believe... 

Fair enough. I thought it jumped 4 points from last cycle's median...

Edited by LordBONSAI

1 hour ago, LordBONSAI said:

Gee, that'd be around 170, wouldn't it? UBC's admissions get even crazier than UofT's🤪

I read in one of the other threads that this cycle's (class of 2024) admitted median was still 166, according to someone who called admissions. That's interesting since a lot of school's medians went up but not UBC's.

LordBONSAI
  • Applicant
24 minutes ago, Jay said:

I read in one of the other threads that this cycle's (class of 2024) admitted median was still 166, according to someone who called admissions. That's interesting since a lot of school's medians went up but not UBC's.

Yes, I saw the same post. UBC's admissions website still puts the mean at 166. 

Edited by LordBONSAI

Bottlebottle
  • Applicant
9 hours ago, am91 said:

You're a lock for the others. As for UBC, I have a similar profile and was told that a 165 was the sweet spot... you may not be able to get a definitive answer because you applied discretionary, but I have a good feeling!

Thank you for the positive energy. I was absolutely heart broken last year so I don’t want to get my hopes up. But I provided medical letter stating I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD in my second year of studies. Following my diagnosis and getting psychiatric / other treatment, my average went from 75 to nearly 86. Discounting the years of untreated adhd, my average would be 86. But cGPA with drops is around 82.45. 

im hoping they will consider this. I didn’t apply discretionary last year due to the fear of judgement. This, combined with cultural stigma, were the main reasons for such a late diagnosis. 

thanks for all ur input !

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 12/6/2021 at 10:59 AM, am91 said:

Forget the old 92 index, btw... the median LSAT score jumped like 4 points lol.... 

Hi, I am wondering where you got this information from? When I called Allard they told me even last year (crazy cycle) the lsat average was still 166 only the GPA went up by .5%. From past years I’ve seen that 166 was always the mean, haven’t heard of a 4 point jump in LSAT from Allard.

Borat
  • Law Student
1 hour ago, RickyJulian said:

haven’t heard of a 4 point jump in LSAT from Allard.

Same here. Called today and confirmed that the 83%/166 median stated on the website still holds true. 

I also tried out what @am91 shared regarding admissions telling me what my chances are. Person on the phone said they are "swamped" with applications right now can't really say whether I'm in or not based on my stats since they haven't reviewed everyone yet.  

On 12/6/2021 at 10:59 AM, am91 said:

P.S personal statements only matter for people on the fringes/discretionary

This is simply not true. The personal statement for all applicants are reviewed, and "your academic performance, LSAT score and personal statement are given equal priority."

• Thanks 1

chilly
  • Law Student

Not sure about how things will play out with this year given last year's cycle, but in case the anecdotal evidence helps you feel better: I got in for the 2020 cycle (in January) with the same score and a slightly higher GPA (applied Nov 30, regular).

Fingers crossed for you!

law000099
  • Law School Admit

So the index of 83% and 166 is 91.79. I think being at or above the median or index of 91.79 gives you a solid chance of being admitted although it is tough to say when. And I would agree here that the P.S is not just for those who are on the fringes. If you wrote a solid P.S it will most definitely help you regardless of if you are on the fringes or not.

Best of luck!

On 12/7/2021 at 7:03 PM, Borat said:

Same here. Called today and confirmed that the 83%/166 median stated on the website still holds true. 

I also tried out what @am91 shared regarding admissions telling me what my chances are. Person on the phone said they are "swamped" with applications right now can't really say whether I'm in or not based on my stats since they haven't reviewed everyone yet.  

This is simply not true. The personal statement for all applicants are reviewed, and "your academic performance, LSAT score and personal statement are given equal priority."

Not gonna bother arguing with you about it. The personal statement does not hold equal weight, despite what it says on their website. They review the statements for red flags unless you're on the fringes. GL tho (also note that they didn't say "yeah we don't give out answers about applications over the phone," they told you they were too busy lol

On 12/7/2021 at 5:03 PM, RickyJulian said:

Hi, I am wondering where you got this information from? When I called Allard they told me even last year (crazy cycle) the lsat average was still 166 only the GPA went up by .5%. From past years I’ve seen that 166 was always the mean, haven’t heard of a 4 point jump in LSAT from Allard.

When I contacted Allard and they told me to rewrite the LSAT despite the fact that I was above a 92 index score because application profiles had improved so drastically over the last 2 cycles

Bottlebottle
  • Applicant
2 minutes ago, am91 said:

When I contacted Allard and they told me to rewrite the LSAT despite the fact that I was above a 92 index score because application profiles had improved so drastically over the last 2 cycles

What was ur LSAT score when u called? And ur GPA? Did you ask them what to do or did they suggest it?

I won't disclose but I said "hey do you think I have a good shot at admission" and they said that they've had record numbers of apps and quality of apps is up, so they 'suggested' that I might want to rewrite to improve my likelihood of admission (which I did). This is all obviously over the phone and requires a bit of common sense and tact when talking to someone -- they aren't going to be like "oh btw here is your letter of admission we just forgot to send it." They will tell you, however, that you will need to wait until after the final LSAT results if you're a fringe candidate.

Bottlebottle
  • Applicant
1 hour ago, am91 said:

I won't disclose but I said "hey do you think I have a good shot at admission" and they said that they've had record numbers of apps and quality of apps is up, so they 'suggested' that I might want to rewrite to improve my likelihood of admission (which I did). This is all obviously over the phone and requires a bit of common sense and tact when talking to someone -- they aren't going to be like "oh btw here is your letter of admission we just forgot to send it." They will tell you, however, that you will need to wait until after the final LSAT results if you're a fringe candidate.

Yes, I understand. The reason I asked the range of your score is to see if they are suggesting retakes for people in the 90th+ percentile or people below 165 - where it would make sense to retake. 

Edited by Shasha22