Just got a 166 on the lsat. Is it competitive with a 83% gpa?

53 minutes ago, Shasha22 said:

Yes, I understand. The reason I asked the range of your score is to see if they are suggesting retakes for people in the 90th+ percentile or people below 165 - where it would make sense to retake. 

It is hard to say because it does depend on your gpa. From the conversations I've had with them, I'd think that 166 and 83% is not a lock but is quite competitive.

Constantine
  • Law School Admit

people are talking like the median is a cutoff or something. If the median is 166 that simply means half of admits scored higher and half scored lower than 166. It's not an average. IMO the average is most likely lower and probably hovers around 163. 

You have a very strong chance OP as long as you have a very strong personal statement. Without that, you still have a chance. It'll just be a modest one. 

• Like 3

RickyJulian
  • Applicant
On 12/9/2021 at 10:16 AM, am91 said:

When I contacted Allard and they told me to rewrite the LSAT despite the fact that I was above a 92 index score because application profiles had improved so drastically over the last 2 cycles

What was your index score? You don’t need to disclose GPA/LSAT. Even being 92.1 (higher than 92) isn’t enough to get in depending on how competitive the cycle is. Also, is this where you got the info of the lsat score jumping up 4 points? I’ve spoken with them since 2018 to present and they’ve told me 166 every time. I don’t recall it ever being a 163 or lower.

lawskool1
  • Applicant

Having a 166 and an 83% is not a guarantee, but it is undoubtedly competitive. The medians are 166 and 83%, this means that 50% of all ADMITTED applicants will have lower stats than you. These medians are also exclusively from the general admissions category, so do not include the scores of discretionary or other special admissions categories. 

• 1 month later...
LordBONSAI
  • Applicant

I checked last cycle's data and saw a couple of applicants with a 91.9-ish index accepted. However, I also noticed those who scored in the low 92 band got waitlisted. So it seems that UBC was putting some emphasis on PS. 

Edited by LordBONSAI

Bottlebottle
  • Applicant
4 hours ago, LordBONSAI said:

I checked last cycle's data and saw a couple of applicants with a 91.9-ish index accepted. However, I also noticed those who scored in the low 92 band got waitlisted. So it seems that UBC was putting some emphasis on PS. 

this is only for regular category right?

Patient0L
  • Law Student

On the topic of calling the admissions office (which I am somewhat loathe to do), how do people find out how their GPA has been calculated by UBC admissions (not self-calculated by the applicant) with drops? My undergraduate degree was somewhat non-traditional: my institution used a totally different GPA/percentage scale; I'm not sure whether non-penalizing withdrawals (like dropping the class in the first week) will be counted towards UBC drops; the majority of my courses were performance-based, which I gather can be excluded; and I took way more credits than what would be needed for an average undergrad degree. So, I seriously have no idea what my GPA would look like after they start tinkering with it.

Would this be something worth asking them about this point? I definitely don't want to risk coming off as unprofessional in any communications with them so I have held back on anxiety-motivated calls/emails and tried to let the process play out.

2 hours ago, Patient0L said:

On the topic of calling the admissions office (which I am somewhat loathe to do), how do people find out how their GPA has been calculated by UBC admissions (not self-calculated by the applicant) with drops? My undergraduate degree was somewhat non-traditional: my institution used a totally different GPA/percentage scale; I'm not sure whether non-penalizing withdrawals (like dropping the class in the first week) will be counted towards UBC drops; the majority of my courses were performance-based, which I gather can be excluded; and I took way more credits than what would be needed for an average undergrad degree. So, I seriously have no idea what my GPA would look like after they start tinkering with it.

Would this be something worth asking them about this point? I definitely don't want to risk coming off as unprofessional in any communications with them so I have held back on anxiety-motivated calls/emails and tried to let the process play out.

I gave them a call recently, and they were honestly super nice on the phone! I was pleasantly surprised by this given how busy they probably are. 

I definitely recommend giving them a call. They will probably be able to look up your profile and let you know where you sit. They looked up my application using my name and home address. 

Patient0L
  • Law Student
3 hours ago, pigeon said:

I gave them a call recently, and they were honestly super nice on the phone! I was pleasantly surprised by this given how busy they probably are. 

I definitely recommend giving them a call. They will probably be able to look up your profile and let you know where you sit. They looked up my application using my name and home address. 

Thanks! I guess the question now is... do I really want to know? 😬😬😬

6 hours ago, Patient0L said:

On the topic of calling the admissions office (which I am somewhat loathe to do), how do people find out how their GPA has been calculated by UBC admissions (not self-calculated by the applicant) with drops?

In the past, applicants could confirm their calculated GPAs after drops by e-mailing or calling the admissions office. However, this year, they stopped responding to such requests.

6 hours ago, Patient0L said:

Unfortunately, I really don't think they'll be able to provide you with your GPA. Read through this official page titled "Estimating Your Admissions GPA For The Allard Law JD Program" - in the 2nd paragraph, it states: Given the high number of applicants each year, Allard Law staff are unable to provide verification of CGPA calculations during the application process. There are also people who've posted about this change right on this forum: 

https://canlawforum.com/topic/1558-official-gpa-calculation/#comment-15844