Retake?

moderndayellewoods444

moderndayellewoods444
  • Applicant

Hi everyone, I'm an ON applicant who applied this cycle. I wrote both the Aug and Nov LSAT and scored the same on both (157) and am pretty upset, considering I was scoring consistently from 159-164 on PTs from Sept until the Nov test. I'm thinking about re-taking in January and getting a tutor + 7sage. Was wondering if anyone had advice on if this would be a smart decision and if anyone knows if I would have to contact all of the schools I applied to to let them know I'm re-writing in January? For context, my cGPA is pretty low (~3.1), with a last 2 of 3.77, I'm currently doing a 2nd BSc. to raise my marks a bit and I have pretty strong ECs. Thanks for any insight! 

Futurelawyer123
50 minutes ago, moderndayellewoods444 said:

Hi everyone, I'm an ON applicant who applied this cycle. I wrote both the Aug and Nov LSAT and scored the same on both (157) and am pretty upset, considering I was scoring consistently from 159-164 on PTs from Sept until the Nov test. I'm thinking about re-taking in January and getting a tutor + 7sage. Was wondering if anyone had advice on if this would be a smart decision and if anyone knows if I would have to contact all of the schools I applied to to let them know I'm re-writing in January? For context, my cGPA is pretty low (~3.1), with a last 2 of 3.77, I'm currently doing a 2nd BSc. to raise my marks a bit and I have pretty strong ECs. Thanks for any insight! 

Same boat as you, almost the exact same score and redoing in January. Any advice is welcome. 

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

If it's your first write and you have time to study I would recommend rewriting. I wrote the LSAT twice, and the second go-around was much less stressful than the first. 

• 1 month later...
kkm1
  • Applicant
On 12/1/2021 at 10:53 AM, moderndayellewoods444 said:

I have same CGPA as you but it will be my first time taking lsat in Jan and I hope i don't score low. 

On 12/1/2021 at 11:44 AM, Futurelawyer123 said:

Same boat as you, almost the exact same score and redoing in January. Any advice is welcome. 

which schools did you apply to?

Goblin King
  • Law Student
On 12/1/2021 at 12:53 PM, moderndayellewoods444 said:

I think you need to re-write. Usually, scores in the 150s indicate a lack of understanding of the underlying mechanics of the test. When I was scoring in the 150s, I noticed that I grasped the individual questions, but didn't understand the structure of the test well enough to answer quickly. You've really got to do a good assessment of HOW you're studying. Scoring in the 160s is less about intelligence or raw ability and more about having a firm grasp of the basic mechanics. You need to score  at least in the mid to high 160s  under the pressure of test day to have a good shot at the middle tier Ontario schools.   7 sage does a really good job at giving an intuitive understanding of the test, and tutoring can supplement that understanding. If money is an issue, I'd recommend getting 7 sage first, before moving on to a tutor. However, if you find that you're not very good at assessing your study deficiencies, a tutor might be helpful. Just to state the obvious, make sure you're doing timed practice tests under test-like conditions to get a sense of where you're at. 

Best of luck!

Edit: for sections that you just can't grasp intuitively, get the PowerScore Bibles. They're massive fucking tomes filled with ways on how to game every type of problem. They're not efficient, but they can be effective. 

Edited by Goblin King
Additional information