Should I retake?

User456

User456
  • Law School Admit

I got a 162 LSAT and my L2 GPA is 3.85 (3.82 with U of A not taking Winter 2020 grades). I have very applicable job experience and education (including being a TA for a law class at the U of A) if they decide to look at my personal statement. Wondering if I should re-register for January and try for a 165? I have heard that U of A's chart with averages they put out may not be indicative of the true average with holistic review. Meaning I know many people with lower stats that were accepted last cycle. 

I am having trouble deciding so your thoughts would really help. 

99problems
  • Lawyer

It depends on how the schools you wish to apply to treat multiple LSAT grades. If they consider the highest grade, then I suggest you write another one (your 162 is good though). However, if the school averages multiple scores, then you may be shooting yourself in the foot by getting a score lower than 162.

13 minutes ago, Meek19 said:

I got a 162 LSAT and my L2 GPA is 3.85 (3.82 with U of A not taking Winter 2020 grades). I have very applicable job experience and education (including being a TA for a law class at the U of A) if they decide to look at my personal statement. Wondering if I should re-register for January and try for a 165? I have heard that U of A's chart with averages they put out may not be indicative of the true average with holistic review. Meaning I know many people with lower stats that were accepted last cycle. 

Rewrite.

https://www.ualberta.ca/law/programs/jd/admissions/index.html

We are currently using the highest LSAT score for our admission purposes. The last acceptable LSAT writing date for September admission is January of the year in which admission is sought.

User456
  • Law School Admit
Just now, NowOrNever said:

Rewrite.

We are currently using the highest LSAT score for our admission purposes. The last acceptable LSAT writing date for September admission is January of the year in which admission is sought.

I know that, thank you! Can you elaborate on why you suggest re-writing? Is it because the average is accurate and you don't think I would get in on holistic review?

9 minutes ago, not not a lawyer said:

It depends on how the schools you wish to apply to treat multiple LSAT grades. If they consider the highest grade, then I suggest you write another one (your 162 is good though). However, if the school averages multiple scores, then you may be shooting yourself in the foot by getting a score lower than 162.

I believe all schools now take the highest, at least all that I applied to. I am hoping someone who got in last year with similar stats finds this lol. I really don't want to rewrite if I don't have to lol 

1 minute ago, Meek19 said:

I know that, thank you! Can you elaborate on why you suggest re-writing? Is it because the average is accurate and you don't think I would get in on holistic review?

You may get in without rewriting but rewriting will increase your chance and it is no harm.

User456
  • Law School Admit

I would argue that it is a very expensive and time consuming exam so I can't make my choice lightly. I do agree there is no harm rewriting based on the fact they are no longer average. Most schools say they do not suggest writing in January due to the rolling admission so if I wrote in January and scored the same or lower, I think it would negatively affect my chances. too bad I only have two days to decide. 

1 minute ago, Meek19 said:

I would argue that it is a very expensive and time consuming exam so I can't make my choice lightly. I do agree there is no harm rewriting based on the fact they are no longer average. Most schools say they do not suggest writing in January due to the rolling admission so if I wrote in January and scored the same or lower, I think it would negatively affect my chances. too bad I only have two days to decide. 

No longer average scores*

• Like 1

99problems
  • Lawyer
5 minutes ago, Meek19 said:

I believe all schools now take the highest, at least all that I applied to. I am hoping someone who got in last year with similar stats finds this lol. I really don't want to rewrite if I don't have to lol 

I feel you. I got 160 despite PTing 168-69. But I was too tired/lazy to write again. I guess I was content since I knew 160 is competitive.

In my case, it ended up not causing me a problem. But if it had, I don't know if I would've been able to forgive myself. Your score is good, but if you can rewrite and get a better mark, do it.

User456
  • Law School Admit
3 minutes ago, not not a lawyer said:

I feel you. I got 160 despite PTing 168-69. But I was too tired/lazy to write again. I guess I was content since I knew 160 is competitive.

In my case, it ended up not causing me a problem. But if it had, I don't know if I would've been able to forgive myself. Your score is good, but if you can rewrite and get a better mark, do it.

I appreciate that, thank you! I really am not sure if i would be able to do better in January, and since I only have two days to figure it out- I think I will hold my breath and hope for the best. I am tired. I agree though, that is what is holding me back. I either a) spend another $300 plus $200 and some for the prep program and rewrite in January to maybe do better (or possibly do worse and have worse chances than if I just left it) or B) lose $600 in applications, a years time and have to rewrite again anyways. 

I think I will just see how it goes and pray they read my statement. I don't think I will have any issues getting into U of C, but because I live here, U of A is my first choice. 

99problems
  • Lawyer
3 minutes ago, Meek19 said:

I appreciate that, thank you! I really am not sure if i would be able to do better in January, and since I only have two days to figure it out- I think I will hold my breath and hope for the best. I am tired. I agree though, that is what is holding me back. I either a) spend another $300 plus $200 and some for the prep program and rewrite in January to maybe do better (or possibly do worse and have worse chances than if I just left it) or B) lose $600 in applications, a years time and have to rewrite again anyways. 

I think I will just see how it goes and pray they read my statement. I don't think I will have any issues getting into U of C, but because I live here, U of A is my first choice. 

Seems you got it figured out. 162 is good enough, don't worry about it.

• Like 1

User456
  • Law School Admit
30 minutes ago, NowOrNever said:

Rewrite.

"we"? do you work for admissions? Uh oh lol 

7 minutes ago, Meek19 said:

In this situation don't rewrite then.

Most likely you will get in with 162 LSAT and L2 3.85.

Good luck!

• Like 1

popcorngordo
  • Law Student

Hi!! I just wanted to say I am in almost an identical situation as you!! I have the same LSAT score (from Aug test) as you and a very similar GPA. I ended up making the same decision and deciding to focus more on my last year of university than retaking the LSAT in January. I am also truthfully tired as well and don't know if I can handle retaking just yet with my other commitments. Although if I don't get into one of my top picks I will be retaking and reapplying next year. I also live in Edmonton, and U of A is one of my top picks too! Just wanted to say I relate and that you aren't in this dilemma alone! Good luck, hoping for the best for you!:) 

User456
  • Law School Admit
2 minutes ago, popcorngordo said:

Hi!! I just wanted to say I am in almost an identical situation as you!! I have the same LSAT score (from Aug test) as you and a very similar GPA. I ended up making the same decision and deciding to focus more on my last year of university than retaking the LSAT in January. I am also truthfully tired as well and don't know if I can handle retaking just yet with my other commitments. Although if I don't get into one of my top picks I will be retaking and reapplying next year. I also live in Edmonton, and U of A is one of my top picks too! Just wanted to say I relate and that you aren't in this dilemma alone! Good luck, hoping for the best for you!:) 

Thank you so much, I appreciate that. Fingers crossed we both get in 🙂 

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit

Hi, I’m another person who is in a similar situation! 3.94 GPA and 161 LSAT. Super tired too, and hesitant about signing up for January due to the cost and time commitment. I’m hoping for us both. 

PsychologicalBug
  • Law School Admit
2 hours ago, Meek19 said:

Also, my understanding was that Winter 2020 would still be used in the last 60 credits for our admission, just of course will not contribute to our GPA. I did not think that they would skip over Winter 2020 and use our Fall 2019 marks. I could be wrong though? Sure hope I'm not wrong, lol

User456
  • Law School Admit
8 hours ago, PsychologicalBug said:

Also, my understanding was that Winter 2020 would still be used in the last 60 credits for our admission, just of course will not contribute to our GPA. I did not think that they would skip over Winter 2020 and use our Fall 2019 marks. I could be wrong though? Sure hope I'm not wrong, lol

No you're correct! I just meant it as for my GPA. That was a 4.0 term for me, so it lowered my GPA. bit. I am hoping for you too! You have a great GPA, I'm sure you have a really good chance. It's hard to know if you're making the right choice but I think I am too tired and tapped out financially to write again. 

• Like 1