Chances of Holistic Admission, Should I Retake in January?

Elle_Woods77

Elle_Woods77
  • Law School Admit

I scored a 152 on my first try in August and a 161 in November. My current L2gpa is most likely going to be a 3.5. Should I rewrite the exam in January or is my current L2gpa and lsat score enough to get me admission in the holistic round?

For reference, I've worked a non-law related part time job throughout undergrad, and am also completing a community service learning certificate alongside my degree at the UofA. I feel like the certificate, since it is all volunteer work, may count for something and make up for my lower L2gpa, but what do you guys think? I was checking the admitted applicant profile from 2020/2021 and they admitted 6 students through auto-admission in the 161-162 range with a 3.4-3.5 gpa.

Also, if you do suggest a January rewrite, what score should I be aiming for during PTs? Thanks for all your help!!

Edited by Elle_Woods77

Ital
  • Law School Admit

I'm in a very similar boat to you (160 LSAT, 1 attempt, and a 3.44 L2 GPA). I have an engineering degree, several years of work experience as an engineer, and I had some extenuating circumstances in undergrad that impacted my L2 GPA. I'm not sure that there is a specific LSAT/GPA combo that would be "enough" for holistic review. From what I have gathered through the CanLaw discord channel, UofA is very much an index school. Although the holistic review process may seem to capture applicants with extracurriculars or other extenuating circumstances, there is a good chance they still just accept students with a high LSAT/GPA that are lower than what they are wanting to advertise on the yearly applicant profile.

Based on the 2021/2022 applicant profile, the lowest GPA admitted (based on general admission) with a 161-162 LSAT was a 3.8.

maybemaybe
  • Applicant

if you have the financial means and time, theres nothing to lose with a rewrite because of the new lsat policy. The fact that around 80 students got accepted as holistic students is very promising in your case though! I think you'd be a strong candidate for that category

Elle_Woods77
  • Law School Admit
17 hours ago, Ital said:

I'm in a very similar boat to you (160 LSAT, 1 attempt, and a 3.44 L2 GPA). I have an engineering degree, several years of work experience as an engineer, and I had some extenuating circumstances in undergrad that impacted my L2 GPA. I'm not sure that there is a specific LSAT/GPA combo that would be "enough" for holistic review. From what I have gathered through the CanLaw discord channel, UofA is very much an index school. Although the holistic review process may seem to capture applicants with extracurriculars or other extenuating circumstances, there is a good chance they still just accept students with a high LSAT/GPA that are lower than what they are wanting to advertise on the yearly applicant profile.

Based on the 2021/2022 applicant profile, the lowest GPA admitted (based on general admission) with a 161-162 LSAT was a 3.8.

Yeah that makes sense. Well I'm rooting for you pal and I wish you luck! Fingers crossed we see each other in the fall term (if UofA is your top choice). 

5 hours ago, maybemaybe said:

if you have the financial means and time, theres nothing to lose with a rewrite because of the new lsat policy. The fact that around 80 students got accepted as holistic students is very promising in your case though! I think you'd be a strong candidate for that category

Looks like it might be a good bet to rewrite in January then. Thanks for your vote of confidence, it makes me feel a whole lot better about my application! I've been worried the volunteer work might not be enough. 

• Like 1