Finding an articling job during 3L

diddlysquatflenderson

diddlysquatflenderson
  • Law Student

Wondering if anyone has any advice or if anyone was in a similar position of looking for articling during the 3L year and has any insight they can give. Not sure if I should be worried or panicking but it feels like time is running out in a sense. I've cold-emailed firms of various sizes and applied to postings online, would love to hear if there's anything else I could do at this point, thanks in advance!

PulpFiction
  • Lawyer

It looks like law students searching for articling positions in 3L and even after graduation is becoming more common. Some of my friends took several months post-graduation to secure a position, or entered the LPP through Ryerson. A solid chunk of my grad class was looking for a position going into 3L, and most seemed to turn out okay from what I can see, with the majority securing something by February/March, and a smaller group after graduation. 

I would reach out to your network and let people know you're searching. There's this feeling of insecurity that might take over while you're searching, which prevents you from utilizing your network - do whatever you can to let go of that feeling. Let everyone know you're looking for a position - law school friends, your CDO, professors, contacts outside of law school. You'd be surprised at the opportunities that are available but not advertised through formal job postings. 

Also, formal job postings is another avenue to explore. Opportunities will continue to pop up through your 3L year and after graduation, especially with firms that don't participate in formal recruits. They often advertise for jobs based on immediate need rather than following annual recruiting you see with big firms. Indeed has a lot of law job postings in my area, you should keep an eye out there. I think Glassdoor is another one? Ziprecruiter? I'm not as familiar with these, so Google is your friend here.  

If you're not already part of an organization tied to your desired practice area, then join one now. There's likely an organization in your city that caters to that practice area by setting up mixers, educational events, and overall provides a way for you to connect to legal professionals of all levels of experience. Opportunities pop up through these organizations and being part of it gives you a head start over cold applications because you've demonstrated some level of interest, even if it's not a significant one. 

Realistically, once you pass the formal recruits organized through your school, getting an articling job is just like getting any other job. You apply to opportunities that you come across, interview, then get hired. 

• Like 2

diddlysquatflenderson
  • Law Student
22 hours ago, PulpFiction said:

It looks like law students searching for articling positions in 3L and even after graduation is becoming more common. Some of my friends took several months post-graduation to secure a position, or entered the LPP through Ryerson. A solid chunk of my grad class was looking for a position going into 3L, and most seemed to turn out okay from what I can see, with the majority securing something by February/March, and a smaller group after graduation. 

I would reach out to your network and let people know you're searching. There's this feeling of insecurity that might take over while you're searching, which prevents you from utilizing your network - do whatever you can to let go of that feeling. Let everyone know you're looking for a position - law school friends, your CDO, professors, contacts outside of law school. You'd be surprised at the opportunities that are available but not advertised through formal job postings. 

Also, formal job postings is another avenue to explore. Opportunities will continue to pop up through your 3L year and after graduation, especially with firms that don't participate in formal recruits. They often advertise for jobs based on immediate need rather than following annual recruiting you see with big firms. Indeed has a lot of law job postings in my area, you should keep an eye out there. I think Glassdoor is another one? Ziprecruiter? I'm not as familiar with these, so Google is your friend here.  

If you're not already part of an organization tied to your desired practice area, then join one now. There's likely an organization in your city that caters to that practice area by setting up mixers, educational events, and overall provides a way for you to connect to legal professionals of all levels of experience. Opportunities pop up through these organizations and being part of it gives you a head start over cold applications because you've demonstrated some level of interest, even if it's not a significant one. 

Realistically, once you pass the formal recruits organized through your school, getting an articling job is just like getting any other job. You apply to opportunities that you come across, interview, then get hired. 

Thank you for the reassurance and insight, much appreciated !

Vizslaw
  • Lawyer

What type of firms/practice areas are you looking for?

A lot of smaller firms wait until the New Year to hire students since it depends on how busy they are, whether they are going to hire back their current student, etc.

Your career services office should have someone who you can speak to. If you talk to them about the types of firms you are interested in, they should be able to help you network and connect you with alumni or firms who may be hiring.

There is also the Facebook group Law Job Exchange. I've seen a bunch of jobs posted on LinkedIn and then of course there is whatever internal posting service your law school uses.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Healthygarden
  • Lawyer

I was in your position. I secured my articles after graduation. It was rough BUT only because I got insecure looking at my other classmates. Which was ridiculous because a good chunk of my classmates were in the same boat as me and also managed to find positions later.

If you keep in mind that this is really like any other job search and that the OCIs represent a sliver of jobs out there, it should help keep things into perspective.

I also did what you did aka sought support and advice from people here. I also reached out to my CDO, local and regional networks, friends (esp those who graduated ls) and family. 

I found @RubberDucky's post regarding their experience articling-hunting very useful! 

I cold-emailed and called and while I got some rejections, the network/advice/kinds words/zoom chat offers from other lawyers were incredibly touching. Of course I got ghosted, but those few kind souls made a big difference.

Hearing different stories of lawyers who had non-linear career trajectory was helpful. I know lawyers who did their articles a year later than planned and who have fantastic careers.

Anyway, this was generally my strategy. Whatever happens you'll be fine! It's "just" job hunting. Take care of yourself mentally and physically and you'll pull through.

Good luck 🙂

Edited by Healthygarden
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
MMPowerHouse
  • Lawyer

Anyone looking for a position in medical malpractice? Preferably with a solid science background?