Non-formal Articling Recruit

diddlysquatflenderson

diddlysquatflenderson
  • Law Student

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone can give insight to the non-formal articling recruit. If anyone can share their past experiences about the non-formal recruit like when to apply or how to know which firms to reach out to. Thanks in advance!

erin otoole
  • Lawyer

I got "non-formal" job in 1L summer before jumping onto the normal 2L recruit. 

Easiest method I found was google maps in different cities you would be open to work in, search "law firm" and look at each and every hit that comes up. I looked at the website, found an email and sent my unsolicited application and resume.  I always tailored it just a little bit, usually just the "I am interesting in working PI/corporate/litigation" part in the first paragraph. 

Keep an eye on linkedin too, I am not sure if it is because of covid, but I see a number of 2-5ish lawyer firms always posting "looking for students" on it these days. Not sure how these people used to do their last minute summer hiring in the normal times. 

• Like 1

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
18 minutes ago, erin otoole said:

Easiest method I found was google maps in different cities you would be open to work in, search "law firm" and look at each and every hit that comes up. I looked at the website, found an email and sent my unsolicited application and resume.  I always tailored it just a little bit, usually just the "I am interesting in working PI/corporate/litigation" part in the first paragraph. 

This is what I did, too. Got a 2L summer job this way and got my articling job this way.

• Like 1

diddlysquatflenderson
  • Law Student

Thank you for the insight. For the non-formal recruiting firms, I was also curious what guidelines applied to them for the articling recruit. Like for your firm, were they open to applications/interviewing all year round or did they have a certain time frame to adhere to based on their location?

canuckfanatic
  • Lawyer
6 minutes ago, diddlysquatflenderson said:

Thank you for the insight. For the non-formal recruiting firms, I was also curious what guidelines applied to them for the articling recruit. Like for your firm, were they open to applications/interviewing all year round or did they have a certain time frame to adhere to based on their location?

Every firm is different and they typically put deadlines on their website. The firm I summered at took applications at any time, and the firm I'm articling at did not have an active job posting when I emailed them.

Outside of the formal recruit firms do not have to follow any sort of guidelines, they can do whatever they want.

• Like 2

Psychometronic
  • Lawyer
1 hour ago, diddlysquatflenderson said:

Jobs that you apply to outside the formal recruits are not “recruits,” they’re just jobs you apply to.

As such, they hire when they want and on whatever timeline they want. Many of them don’t hire students every year, or even advertise. Some of then hire through word of mouth or make a position for a someone they really like when no position would otherwise exist. So it’s important not to think of this through the lens of formal recruits.

A good place to look is your school job board. Jobs trickle in throughout the year at UBC so it’s not like post-recruit is slim pickings. If you’ve made some connections during law school, see if you know someone who knows someone who is hiring. Lots of people get jobs that way. There is also the method that canuckfanatic used and recommends.

I note that the articling recruit is only at the application collection stage right now, so if you’re opting out of the recruit for whatever reason, you still have lots of time.

Edited by Psychometronic
  • Like 2